Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Forum for kitesurfers
BritishKiteMark
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade Kites (12m and 9m)
Stryder Halo 134
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby BritishKiteMark » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:35 pm

Hi all. I would appreciate some advice from those in the know about freeride/Big air kites and particularly in relation to the Duotone Rebel (2021).

I currently use a set of 2017 Cabrinha Switchblades (12m and 9m). My style is twintip freeride only and over the past year or two I have been trying to improve my big air style. According to my Woo I am maxing at 11.7m and would like to improve my old school big air trick and woo record in the future but I have very much stalled in my progress with no PB for over a year. I was looking at the 2021 Duotone Rebel as I have always heard of the legendary reputation this kite has in this style. There are a few other riders in my area who use this kite who jump higher than me.

Whilst I am aware of the misconceptions around kite model and jump height and I'm certainly not naive enough to think that changing my kite will hugely improve my jumping, I just wanted to ask whether people who know more than me think I would be expected to see much improvement in my riding by making the switch to a newer kite and to a Duotone Rebel from the Cab Switchblade?

Whilst there are getting a little worn I do think my Switchblades would last a year or two longer if I decided not to go ahead.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice!

Mark

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Re: Duotone Rebel kite question/advice needed

Postby SMJ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 am

The kite makes a huge difference for airstyle. For airstyle check out the Cab AV8. I own the 14m and 11m AV8's and a full quiver of Switchblades - including the 14, 12 and 9. I can tell you the boosting and hang time of my 14m AV8 is far superior to the 14m SB. That's not a knock on the SB; the SB does just about everything else better (relaunch, stability, unhooking, waves, grunt, maneuverability, loops, etc.) Demo the 14m AV8 if you can; I had an ear-to-ear grin the first time I flew it.

If you want a bigger sized kite for airstyle (many do depending on your local winds) then check out the Ozone Edge 19m. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Rebel, since I've yet to fly one. Looks like the biggest Rebel for 2021 is the 15m which should be fine for airstyle if you have the wind for it.

Just be mentally prepared when you make the switch to a high aspect airstyle kite. Most people hate the way they fly, because the only things they do well is boost and glide, but they excel at that! These kites also like to be ridden with a lot of board speed and go upwind better than most kites.

Last edited by SMJ on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author SMJ for the post:
BritishKiteMark (Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:28 pm

I have never tried the Switchblade, but several friends who ride it. Not sure if you would notice any huge difference in height? I wouldn't know. Should see some increased hang-time and my guess is that the Rebel is a lot easier to consistently jump high with, but if it makes it easier to get you passed 12m I don't know.

Really like the Rebel myself. Mainly because of the sheet-and-go qualities which is very useful when you are 100kg. Not that I know the 2021. But if it is the best kite to go really high on I´m not sure.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
BritishKiteMark (Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:12 pm)

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:01 pm

What woo do you use? If your using a woo two upgrade to a woo three abd you will see an instant increase in your Juno height!
Other than that rebel or xr6 will help.
These users thanked the author Ice101 for the post (total 2):
BritishKiteMark (Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:12 pm) • Kerplow (Tue May 18, 2021 6:40 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Orca-N
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: var (DE + NL)
Gear: var

Postby Orca-N » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:37 pm

+1 on smj's post.

I had similar intention with my TT riding and after some research bought the rebel.
I did not have so many woo sessions so far. But looks like I jump 2 meters higher than before and noticably longer.

If you only ride tt and jumping is your focus, I suppose the high ar kites are a good choice.
Wouldn't prefer it on SB or Foil.
These users thanked the author Orca-N for the post:
BritishKiteMark (Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:12 pm)

BritishKiteMark
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade Kites (12m and 9m)
Stryder Halo 134
Been thanked: 0

Postby BritishKiteMark » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:24 pm

Thank you all for your help, all of your recommendations and advice.
I do indeed own a Woo 3. I only started using the woo around a year ago after I had already been Kiting for quite a few years. Surprisingly I haven't improved my jump height since one of the very first sessions despite having analysed my technique as much as possible.
I may have reached my peak but will continue to push myself... Totally addicted to the feeling of flying!

Constakite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 89 kg
Local Beach: 5-6 spots in Denmark
Favorite Beaches: @Denmark, Holland and Spain
Style: Bigair, Oldschool.
Gear: Eleveight FS 8
CrazyFly Hyper 9, 10
Duotone Select 135x40
CORE Fusion 139x39

Postby Constakite » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:22 am

BritishKiteMark wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:24 pm
I only started using the woo around a year ago after I had already been Kiting for quite a few years. Surprisingly I haven't improved my jump height since one of the very first sessions despite having analysed my technique as much as possible.
I may have reached my peak but will continue to push myself... Totally addicted to the feeling of flying!
Hello Mark, hope this helps. I am strongly considering myself the Rebel 11m;
Started kiting late 2019 and been riding high aspect kite all 2020, and quickly arrived at the 10-11m height mark, been stuck there for a while.
First time i tried my friends rebel, literally on the first jump I jumped close to my PR.
That said something about how easy it is to jump higher with that kite, the sweetspot for pulling the bar is way bigger than say my CrazyFly Hyper high aspect 5 strut kites.
One thing that helped me consistently jump over 10-11m was the pre load pop, where before I was 1of10 jumps over 10m now it's 5 out of 10 jumps.

Best regards,
Constantin

bigairjim
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 163
Local Beach: Dorado, Puerto Rico
Style: Big Air
Gear: Duotone, Ride Engine

Postby bigairjim » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:52 pm

Hi guys, I have a rebel 9m and 13m, the 2021 model. I've also had the 2019 13m and 10m. I dont think 2020 was much of an improvement over the 2019 (which were both very good). In between I tried the 2020 10m Dice which actually jumped higher than the rebel (I left it about 1m over the water before edging and sending fast). In any case, the 2021 was a massive improvement over the others in my opinion. Its a much more direct feel and much, much faster steering. I've PRd on both the 2021 13m and 9m. Just a note that the 9m has zero hang time but the 13m is a hang time beast. An 11-12m should serve very wel...

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:45 am

I ride strapless surfboards (freestyle and waves), and currently my biggest kite is Neo SLS 10m, which starts for me 8ms average, gusting 9ms. Been wondering for lighter winds either Evo SLS 12m or Rebel 12m 2021. Seen Airton etc. riding Rebels for big air, but I wonder if the 12m is too big for snappy turning of the kite, ie. is the kite now much faster in turning speed, esp. the 12m, or should I go with the Evo SLS 12, but I am not sure if the low end and hang time is on par with Rebel. Hmm... Thoughts?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:23 pm

bigairjim wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:52 pm
Hi guys, I have a rebel 9m and 13m, the 2021 model. I've also had the 2019 13m and 10m. I dont think 2020 was much of an improvement over the 2019 (which were both very good). In between I tried the 2020 10m Dice which actually jumped higher than the rebel (I left it about 1m over the water before edging and sending fast). In any case, the 2021 was a massive improvement over the others in my opinion. Its a much more direct feel and much, much faster steering. I've PRd on both the 2021 13m and 9m. Just a note that the 9m has zero hang time but the 13m is a hang time beast. An 11-12m should serve very wel...
Thats odd about the 2021 9m having low hangtime. I'm not a particularly skilled rider but even I manage 7 seconds of hangtime from the 2019 9m without heli-looping or anything and I'm only really hitting 8m in height (according to my on board device) so I thought the hangtime with the 2019 kite was pretty decent. What hangtime are you getting from your 13m?

Return to “Kitesurfing”