2019 Naish Thrust

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

2019 Naish Thrust

Postby keegster17 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:14 am

Anyone have feedback on the 2019 Naish Thrust foil? I was considering purchasing the large wing and the 127cm Hover. I am a intermediate kiter, and fly foil kites only, and want to start foiling. The price point seems good for me. I plan to foil for light wind, and down the road some jumping. No wave riding, I kite on the great lakes. Feedback would be appreciated.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Re: 2019 Naish Thrust

Postby Dirk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:09 am

In terms of the front wings do you mean the Thrust Kitesurf Wing or the Surf wing? I do have the later in Size L (1250 sqcm) together with the Hover 127 and learned to foil on it. Very happy with this, very easy to learn on. For my weight (73 kg) I should have gone one size smaller (1050 sqcm). I did that by buying the current Jet 1050 front wing. The parts are all interchangeable. I started with the 55 cm mast and using 75cm now.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:43 pm

Naish thrust surf large - extremely easy to ride, lots lift, intuitive, stable, very pumpable, somewhat more reactive and carvable (than lf impulse I also own). Decent top speed considering the size and low speed lift. The downturned wingtips on thrust surf wings help prevent breeching on a carve vs other front wings of 1200+ size. Front wing attachment is rock solid and is compatible with the new naish wings and any size.
Cons- rear wing attachment is not as strong as others. Its adjustable yes, but can snap off if you hit it hard and are unlucky. That said, I have not broken either of mine (have L and XL setups) If you do break it, replacement rear wing may be difficult to obtain. An adapter is available to use the newer style naish rears though, or can switch to newer fuselage pretty cheap too. Different mast lengths may not be as readily available (for cheap) as some.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:33 pm

Yes, dirk I meant the Large surf wing. Did you and foot straps to the board? I just want a simple freeride foil board for kite boarding with my flysurfer Souls. I don't think I will get heavy into foiling, but just want to have the option. I am 180lbs probably with all my gear on, Should I consider medium wing instead? I would get the 90cm mast.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:59 pm

I learned and currently ride with one front footstrap. Not sure if I will go strapless, I ride my surfboard with straps. I probably will go with two or three straps in the future to get into jumping.

For me foiling is still for absolutely low wind, I want to be able to be on the water in 7-8 knots. I use an 11m Boxer for that and with the Surf L that is easy. However, with my weight I can do that also with the M size. When I was starting to ride faster and on days when the wind was around 7-8 knots and picking up to around 12 knots I was getting overpowered on the L. The M size has the same low end for me (in combination with the low end of the kite, meaning that it stays in the air), but more high end.

I guess you are 7kg heavier than me, so the L size might be more suitable. For learning it will be the easiest choice. You can also get different size front wings from Naish afterwards, without that being a huge extra investment.

For the Hover Board I do not see that I will outgrow that for a long time.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:09 pm

I recommend foot hooks, then nothing after you get the hang. For kiting only, medium wing would be good, can’t go wrong with either M or L though, personal choice maybe base it on your weight.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:12 pm

Dirk, I am using it for the same reason as you. Low wind, maybe some jumping if I get good enough. Can you share maybe pros and cons to this Naish Foil and board?

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 pm

It is the only foil and foil board I have used so far. I am very happy with it and it creates a huge grin on my face every time I am out in the water in those light winds.
I think there are comparable options from other brands. I have not tried them.

I think the current Naish wings, the Jet range, which is an evolution of the Thrust, is a better wing. It is thinner, a bit refined, a bit faster. I have the Jet Front Wing 1050 in addition to the Thrust L (1250)

The current Naish alloy masts are supposed to be lighter to what came with the Thrust, but they are also significantly more expensive.

If you get the Thrust package on sale for a good price you will not do anything wrong. What I highly recommend is getting the short (55cm) mast together with a longer mast for your learning phase. It is much easier, you are getting onto the foil almost immediately, thus building confidence, muscle memory and having fun. And you have an option for locations, where the water is not that deep.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:52 pm

The Naish wing mount system is reasonably low profile, allowing them to produce thinner wings without having to modify the fuselage. Axis has had to bring to market a new fuselage to allow for the thinner wings now popular,
The Naish/Axis systems are a good improvement over the flat mount systems such as Moses due to very little load being placed on the mount screws. Most of the load is transferred directly to the wing via the socket joint between the fuselage and the wing where as Moses and other flat mount brands place all the load on the M6 screws. As the wings get bigger, this could become an issue.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:37 pm

Just wondering...is it a issue to mix the kite thrust rear wing with the thrust surf large wing? Seems the rear wing is slightly different between the two specific styles, surf and kite. I was thinking of picking up some parts to save some money.

Return to “Kitesurfing”