Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm

What drsurf and jumptheshark said :thumb:

8) PF
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
jumptheshark (Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 am

OK. Reattached the rear line which had been the most obvious problem, but could not for the life of me figure out how to fix the front line part of the bridle. It definitely looks "different from the other side. Anyhow, I thought it might not make much difference to the way the kite flies ... so I took it to the beach & fired it up. From the ground I could not see anything wrong with it - looked the same as the other side & seemed to fly fine.

Had a very nice 2 hour session riding way outside the craziness of Kite Beach (in spite of Covid there are still a lot of kiters here). Came in and asked one of the peeps to land me. Asked him to hold the windward tip, but he obviously knew what he was doing & laid the kite down parallel to the wind direction. I folded over the windward tip & sanded it & put my helmet on the LE for a bit of extra weight. It sat there quite nicely for another hour.

Decided to go for another session. Launched the kite by pulling it up from the sand so that it side launched. Went up OK, but some seaweed held the flying lines together, so brought it down so someone could clear the weeds. Went into the water, looped the kite a couple of times to get going ... & something snapped! Turns out one of the front flying lines broke. No idea why, but as I had spent a lot of time riding a kilometre or more offshore, I was grateful it didn't break while I was out there. Kind of freaky - I haven had a line break in years.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:57 am

Looks like we could do with a separate "foil kite noobs" thread - almost none of this recent stuff is specific to the peak 4 (but will soon be impossible to find for those who actually need it).

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:30 am

merl wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:57 am
Looks like we could do with a separate "foil kite noobs" thread - almost none of this recent stuff is specific to the peak 4 (but will soon be impossible to find for those who actually need it).
Some kind of wiki sheet would be good, so people who are interested in this kite dont have to read through 199 pages of repeating questions like “is it good for light wind”, “what size to get first” or “does it jump”.
These users thanked the author lederhosen for the post:
Peter_Frank (Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:58 pm

@lederhosen:
Wiki is already nearly done, just have a few more days patience.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post (total 4):
Flyboy (Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:02 pm) • lederhosen (Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:30 pm) • khaakon (Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:59 pm) • Smeagle (Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:20 am)
Rating: 12.12%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:02 pm

Yeah - the Peak4 thread is a bit of an "outlier" in terms of ... volume. But helping noobs is one of the most useful aspects of the kite forum. A summary of collective wisdom courtesy of Horst would be really useful!

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:00 pm

Flyboys your experience sounds similar to mine in some ways. Since flying peaks I've had a line snap, a line extension splice give way, and a rope slider snap, all leading to swims. All firsts in 20 years of kiting.

Definitely don't go 1km off shore unless you have the time and energy to get back in the daylight. Kite mates, an EPIRB/plb or a backpack with fins are all options. I bought the latter for kiting a particular River mouth on a run out tide.

Specifically regarding your snapped line, was it right near the pig tail? If so have a really good check of your bridle. After mine I noticed that my Z bridle line on the same side was nearly worn through. I had to replace it from flysurfer for $25. My theory is that being new to bridles I flew it with at twist and the 2 lines sawed each other until one snapped.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 pm

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:00 pm
Flyboys your experience sounds similar to mine in some ways. Since flying peaks I've had a line snap, a line extension splice give way, and a rope slider snap, all leading to swims. All firsts in 20 years of kiting.

Definitely don't go 1km off shore unless you have the time and energy to get back in the daylight. Kite mates, an EPIRB/plb or a backpack with fins are all options. I bought the latter for kiting a particular River mouth on a run out tide.

Specifically regarding your snapped line, was it right near the pig tail? If so have a really good check of your bridle. After mine I noticed that my Z bridle line on the same side was nearly worn through. I had to replace it from flysurfer for $25. My theory is that being new to bridles I flew it with at twist and the 2 lines sawed each other until one snapped.
I don't know that it's related in any way to the Peaks. I really think it's just possible that the line was worn & finally gave way. It was an older bar with older lines that I used in preference to a much newer Naish bar that has obvious wear on the loop that attaches to the depower line due to a poor design choice. I've replaced the line that broke with an extra heavy duty line set.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:25 am

Dude!

He makes a pretty good point.

I have had the kite roll through its lines before and it flies with zero issues but I still correct that shit before the next outing.

You kinda just said you gave up on untangling and just popped it up. It flew fine, you know, for a kite your unfamiliar with then a line snapped a couple hours in.

I would not rest until I knew the bridle was spec.

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:55 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:46 pm
HugoMC wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:27 am
I am considering purchasing a PEAK as a go-to light wind Hydrofoil Kite. I regularly fly LEI surf kites. I want the peak to be able to go in 7-12 knots and more or less replace my 14m single strut that I have at the minute. Would an 8m peak be the equivalent to an 11/12m LEI?

jumptheshark and drsurf are spot on.

6 m2 and down are the ones that works magic like no other kite.

Above 6 they work great because they are superlight so never drops, and fast to rig and pack down, but you dont get anything besides that, you would'nt get with any other kite.

I am 78 kg and ride my 8 m2 Peak4 down to 8 knots with 27 m lines and a 11-1200 cm2 wing.
With a light 11 m2 LEI on 30 m lines, I would be able to ride in 8 knots, so you are pretty close.

We are trying to warn you - the 8 is a great session saver very often, I use it a lot.

But nowhere near the 3-6 m2 Peak4s which are EXCELLENT in waves and general fun.

Having said that, I know a few who like the bigger sizes simply because of their ability to hang in almost nothing :naughty:

8) Peter
Peter ,
Now that I tried my 5m, I totally agree with you.
This Peak4 5 is in another level, even though I still love my 8 but now as my kite session saver.

I'm stoked for it. It's faster , lighter, the set up it's quicker, easier to water relaunch if you drop it( I did it in only 3 min).

I can't believe how Flysurfer could developed such a good kite for hydrofoil without thinking about it.

Return to “Foil Kites”