For all foil kite riders
slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Soul with an SS bar

Postby slide » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:27 pm

all i do is equal lines full power ,adjust untill they line up , i never use a chicken loop, i use a 40 mm stainless sailing ring and a petzl work harness with a snap shackle and double braided sailing rope 6mm for a double line bar , and 8mm double braided rope for a single line bar , and i have always done this , this rope has a huge power rating, and never breaks just gets dirty and thats when i put a new rope on, this rope never shrinks or stretches
- i decided many years ago i wasnt going to keep buying the flysurfer depower rope -this rope is like 30metres for £30ish and i make up a few with a hot knife once i've worked out the length i need for each application

and i use the 8mm double braided rope on my flexi blades across the top line , going tro a roller - i make my own roller out of stainless steel and a roller bearing with a 12mm bolt holding the whole thing together, and it twists round just like the petzl ones to attach the rope
i machine the roller bearing that so to fit the 8mm rope perfectly - its like a petzl rescue pully , but they have a 6mm bolt tru them ones and once i saw sylenz jumping in a buggy and his petzl pully broke ,thats when i knew mine were much stronger and safer , i made one for mark everit, and one for andy preston too and they use them still

check the video sylenz made of all the buggy jumpers doing amazing free style " gravity renegades" ,in the early days and when i'd walk down the beach , i'd be met by buggies flying tru the air , and it use to really buzz me up for a good session , rob hills and mark everit were the first buggy riders to jump in the world , early 2000's, and it happened mostly by accident - rob hills said to andy preston once , "i keep getting pulled out of my buggy" and andy preston said try a seat belt across your lap and that's how it started mostly by accident suddenly rob found he could jump, all powered by early flexifoil blades , legendry kites, i still got all mine and have a fly when the mood takes me- the best way to learn to jump, its pure jumping , just constant power with no let off :D

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 pm

I still have some fun with my 2004 Blade III’s (10.5/6.6) and a Blade IV 4.9. Amazing kites.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:44 am

Rome,
Modern kite bar and line sets are engineered for high loads such as kite loops. The problem with a 4 line bar is lose one line and you don’t glide to the earth, you plummet like a stone. So, first rule of thumb with gliding is to not glide higher than you are willing to fall. Gliding high and slow is so 2005 any way. It is a lot more fun to glide low and fast, it is also easier to land with speed.

That being said, it is an excellent idea to check your bar, chicken loop and lines for wear. You don’t want to be gliding or kiting on the water with lines that might fail, the risk of injury to yourself or others is not worth taking the risk.

You are the one that demonstrated to me that the SS bar works well with a 15m Soul. I guess you are just concerned if it was up to snuff for gliding, as I said above, all kite bars are probably built strong enough at least initially, but there is zero redundancy and hence my advice to not glide high. I still catch myself getting too high from time to time, but overall I like the 25 feet or less rule of thumb. I might break a leg, but I am unlikely to kill myself from that height.

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:03 am

fernmanus wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:44 am
Rome,
Modern kite bar and line sets are engineered for high loads such as kite loops. The problem with a 4 line bar is lose one line and you don’t glide to the earth, you plummet like a stone. So, first rule of thumb with gliding is to not glide higher than you are willing to fall. Gliding high and slow is so 2005 any way. It is a lot more fun to glide low and fast, it is also easier to land with speed.

That being said, it is an excellent idea to check your bar, chicken loop and lines for wear. You don’t want to be gliding or kiting on the water with lines that might fail, the risk of injury to yourself or others is not worth taking the risk.

You are the one that demonstrated to me that the SS bar works well with a 15m Soul. I guess you are just concerned if it was up to snuff for gliding, as I said above, all kite bars are probably built strong enough at least initially, but there is zero redundancy and hence my advice to not glide high. I still catch myself getting too high from time to time, but overall I like the 25 feet or less rule of thumb. I might break a leg, but I am unlikely to kill myself from that height.
My initial concern was with sheeting out and trim, im tuning the bar not to have any trim but a big throw to sheet out. Now that I have experienced the slow and high, im going to go lower and faster, i think my kite and air awareness is also a ton better than last year so once we get some snow ill be out flying, for now its speed runs at strawberry on skis

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 am

RomeUtah wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:03 am
My initial concern was with sheeting out and trim, im tuning the bar not to have any trim but a big throw to sheet out.
For trimless bar setup I think Soul's full sheeting range with bar and depower strap is somewhere in 70cm/27inch area. But measure to be exact I mean if steering lines are loose - there is no point making 'em more looser. And when fully powered to make kite stall *on load*, meaning while airborne lines & wing loaded it is pointless to go over (="left side") speed/sink aka glide polar curves top point.

These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
RomeUtah (Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:23 pm

joriws wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 am
RomeUtah wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:03 am
My initial concern was with sheeting out and trim, im tuning the bar not to have any trim but a big throw to sheet out.
For trimless bar setup I think Soul's full sheeting range with bar and depower strap is somewhere in 70cm/27inch area. But measure to be exact I mean if steering lines are loose - there is no point making 'em more looser. And when fully powered to make kite stall *on load*, meaning while airborne lines & wing loaded it is pointless to go over (="left side") speed/sink aka glide polar curves top point.

Literally the detail I was looking for, I have to tinker with my trim block on the ss bar but my lines are not fully slacked out when the bar is pulled all the way

Return to “Foil Kites”