-Xenon Laluz 135
-Shinn Monk Forever 134
-LiquidForce - Recoil 130
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

What would you do if?

Postby Captain_East » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:35 pm

Hello beautiful people,

Last weekend while launching my kite the wind was 16 - 18 kts. And for some reason the chicken loop slipped away from the harness and I found my self flying with the kite, luckily I managed to leave the bar and hanged on the chicken loop till kite got to 12 and got everything under control. (For sure the leash was on).

I was wondering what if same situation happened to you for any reason while you’re 10m high what is the right thing to do??

Friends on the beach said it happened because I have the small duotone chicken loop and it’s said it’s dick is kinda small too so it slips. But I kinda don’t agree with that theory.

Kite duotone Rebel 10m 2020 with the new clickbar 2021.

Thanks for reading and don’t forget to tell your story of free-fallin :))

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What would you do if?

Postby Matteo V » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:41 pm

Learn to pay more attention. Critical operations should be given the utmost attention. Check twice and dont do anything at the same time, such as talking to someone.

That said, it still happens to me to.

The giveaway is that you aren't 100% sure that the CL was hooked into the bar.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:51 pm

I always tell people to glance at a chicken loop before launch. It easily can half-scoot off leading to you situation.
10m up I’d probably hang on it till the kite is down. Grabbing chickenloop is a proper recovery but not as safe as letting the kite go onto QR

As of small dick...I’ll pass on this pitch. Maybe Duotone should comment on the setup

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:05 pm

Captain_East wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:35 pm
if same situation happened to you for any reason while you’re 10m high what is the right thing to do??
You don't have much choice when you are 10m high.
If you had a firm grip on the bar with both hands you can hold on unhooked and try and feather the kite back and forth for a soft landing.
If you didn't have a firm grip with both hands the bar and CL are gone before you can react and you are freeeeeee fallin'.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:16 pm

Never let go when you are lifted...fly it until you come down.
Then on touch down let go immediately.

Or if you come down and everything under control, grab the CL as you did and hook back in.

But yes, do check before launching if everything is ok...guess it was half way on your hook and then when powered up slipped off.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:21 pm

Your question suggests you don’t know how to launch properly. It sounds like you are a newbie who thinks launching a kite is flying it up into the air towards the zenith probably with both hands on the bar. Once you have learnt to launch properly you will have either one hand on the bar or no hands on the bar. You can have one hand on the qr, favoured by many, so if it comes unhooked you are already holding the chicken loop. The launch should mean you have the kite just off the ground so you should never be lofted. If you get dragged just release to flag. If in control land kite on it’s tip and hook back in, REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN SHEET OUT BY EASING THE BAR AWAY FROM THE HELD CHICKEN LOOP.

This is just a quick comment, you might want to research how to handle teabagging!!

Don’t launch in wind that could loft you until you know what you are doing, you will then realise your question should be moot once you know what you are doing.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:57 pm

I once told someone about to launch STOP !!

He had plenty long donkey stick in position

But his loop in the hook was not all the way in

It was at a 45 degree angle near the end of hook

Personally all my self launches are like this

One hand on the upper end of bar

In 18 knots the kite gets depowered 2/3

The other lower hand is always cupping the loop against the hook for 100% certainty of never coming off

Donkey stick in place of course

Taking zero chances

Besides the lower hand just has to move up quickly a few inches to trigger the QR in case of a botched self launch or assisted one if that is what you prefer

@Herman
Not newbie
He joined KF in 2012
Just sayin

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:09 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:21 pm
Your question suggests you don’t know how to launch properly. It sounds like you are a newbie who thinks launching a kite is flying it up into the air towards the zenith probably with both hands on the bar. Once you have learnt to launch properly you will have either one hand on the bar or no hands on the bar. You can have one hand on the qr, favoured by many, so if it comes unhooked you are already holding the chicken loop. The launch should mean you have the kite just off the ground so you should never be lofted. If you get dragged just release to flag. If in control land kite on it’s tip and hook back in, REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN SHEET OUT BY EASING THE BAR AWAY FROM THE HELD CHICKEN LOOP.

This is just a quick comment, you might want to research how to handle teabagging!!

Don’t launch in wind that could loft you until you know what you are doing, you will then realise your question should be moot once you know what you are doing.
Tough love? Not sure why the insults are necessary. He/she might very well know what they are doing, but that he/she made a lazy mistake or something. Happens to the best of us.

Not that I disagree much with your description on how to launch - when possible at least.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:11 pm

Maybe lose the hook, so many other ways to prevent this problem.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:34 pm

If over the water and by some stroke of luck you accidentally come unhooked but don’t drop the bar:

Pass it behind your back, and spot your landing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”