Local Beach: Toronto
Gear: Cabrinha crossbow 11metre, 2012
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4 / Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Light Wind Help

Postby artificialname » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:13 am

Hi. The arguments in the kiting community are driving me in circles.

For light wind (approximately 8-15knots) I have no idea what to get. Should I spend my money on a 17m kite or on a "light wind" directional board? (I'm an experienced surfer).

The kiting community is clearly divided over kite v board for light winds. It makes it really hard for a beginner. Can someone explain the consequences of kiting in light wind with a 17m kite v using eg a 15m kite with a "light wind board"?

I'm a 200 pound beginner - I just started going upwind.

I can only afford used kites.

Thanks in advance!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Light Wind Help

Postby matth » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 am

If you are a beginner I would go big. Nothing replaces the power and grunt of a big kite, but once you become a really good kite flyer and your upwind skills are solid you will most likely ditch the big kite. At that point, a good light wind surfboard or even a foil will be much more fun to ride.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:34 am

artificialname wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:13 am
For light wind (approximately 8-15knots) I have no idea what to get. Should I spend my money on a 17m kite or on a "light wind" directional board? (I'm an experienced surfer).
Big board or big kite?....... if your winds are gusty and unpredictable, go for a bigger board first. A smaller kite with a bigger board is just plain safer in those conditions and at your skill level.

artificialname wrote:
The kiting community is clearly divided over kite v board for light winds. It makes it really hard for a beginner. Can someone explain the consequences of kiting in light wind with a 17m kite v using eg a 15m kite with a "light wind board"?

At 200lbs, you can definetly utilize 2m more with a 17m AND a light wind board. But I'd only reccomend this if you are kiting in steady winds or have gradually moved up in size with experience at your specific location. Every inland or ocean spot is different. Gusty inland winds can be more dangerous with a huge kite.

Give us more info on your location.

artificialname
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 100kg
Local Beach: Toronto
Gear: Cabrinha crossbow 11metre, 2012
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4 / Airush

Postby artificialname » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:39 am

artificialname wrote:

Give us more info on your location.
I kite in Toronto Canada and in Lake Michigan

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:44 am

Quit dreaming about 8 knots.

At 200 lbs and working in freshwater, you need a big kite and a big board.

And with both, and some skill and practice you might be able to go in 10 knots, but you will probably need 12 to have any chance of staying upwind.

If you are short on funds, there is a chance you could use your small wave surfboard and a large kite to make it work.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
PullStrings (Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:07 am

One option could be 2nd hand cheap foilboard set as you already are a surfer. As price example I sold my Liquid force foil fish set (still very useable) last year to a student for 420 euros which is 500 usd level. Totally fine kit for learning and light wind with a kite can get you top of board. If you pair that with Peak4 8m (they are very cheap as new compared to other kites) 2nd hand, with training you'd be last man standing and very cost efficient. Another thing is if you want to go for that direction (foil-on-foil) but just to mention that possibility.

I read you are a beginner but I know that with going out with a kit delivers you learn as rest of us. Peak is easy kite to fly and it stays airborne very well, only if you crash it you need some technique&experience but it is not end of the world, but it depends a lot where you kite.

Below is 3rd party video where 17m aluula-kite (supposed to be the best lw kite, not!) cannot be relaunched and rider with Peak4 8m & foil goes on..

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:35 am

matth wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 am
If you are a beginner I would go big. Nothing replaces the power and grunt of a big kite, but once you become a really good kite flyer and your upwind skills are solid you will most likely ditch the big kite. At that point, a good light wind surfboard or even a foil will be much more fun to ride.
👍👍👍👍

Im only 165 pounds
I learned on 17m with 155x46 twin tip.

I soon got a second smaller twin tip
Then sold the big one.

Still have the 17m and still often use it.
Session saver for at least being on the water.

Now have also got a directional, but when wind is so light I rather use the TT.

Hydro Foil is the perfect solution for 200 pounds, ONCE YOU ARE A GOOD KITER.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:07 am

artificialname wrote:

I think you might be better off considering more lessons? Kiting since 2009 and still working on going upwind is pretty slow progress. Maybe a few refresher lessons might help a bit?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:34 am

artificialname wrote:

Thanks in advance!
that's 2 posts from this user that have me thinking is this fish bait.
could be wrong but the signs are there.
kiting for over 11 years yet asking about basics that will open a can of worms.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
1234567Simon (Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:40 am

At 200 lbs 8 knots is possible but you will need both a powerful 17m kite and a huge board like the Spleene Door. You also need some skills in light wind you have to keep the kite moving at all times and go up wind in every little gust and try not to loose ground when the wind is down. On a hydrofoil 8 knots is pretty easy but you should wait to have a few years of experience before attempting to foil.

Return to “Kitesurfing”