Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flite Aluula 17 vs Rs 17

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Flite Aluula 17 vs Rs 17

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:59 pm

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flite Aluula 17 Vs Rs 17

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:08 pm

I just bought a second hand Flite 17m Aluula , which I tested during 3 sessions last week; loved it , in short .... very light, perfect power and depower , impressively agile for its size ; I think this special kite (by its size and weight) deserves a special topic separated from the more General Aluula topic because it opens doors of sessions that were reserved to foilkite only ... Here is my short video edit of the first sesssion I did, with 6 to 8 knots of wind ; only big foilkites were riding : one R1V3 19m , short lines, one soul 18m long lines , like mine.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Flite Aluula 17 vs Rs 17

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:25 pm

For me the most important info is missing: how do they compare jumping? Height, hangtime?

I can go back and forth with a 12 as well. Difference is power for jumping, so what's the comparison here?

The average Jo doesn't do handlepasses in that wind, but rides and does a jump.

A good 17 and then a good 20 is a nice setup to have as a range for a brand.

Lighter people and foiler can go 17, heavier TT goes 20. And then a 14 as next kite. Top range!

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:51 pm

indeed, I swaped from 14.5m to 17m for jump performances, despite my 60 kg on a foil, as you know.
Jump is overall better than 14.5m ; hangtime of course, noticably better ; height it is hard to judge because it was a bit too light to waterstart with my 14.5m despite its excellent low end ... (believe me those +2.5m2 and lightenss of full Aluula helps waterstart to foil-up , so not only the jump capacity but also low wind limit); What is clear is that you ride ride much faster in 7 knots, so with excellent skills and timing like you have, you will gain jump performance also from this feature.

The next days, I had 10-14 knots , same 17m with still 27m lines , with is a wind where the 14.5m would have also shine ; I was not overpowerd at all , while the R1V3 19m was a its limit ; hangtime still clearly better, height hard to compare because I still need to better know both kite ; at first impression: a bit more height with the 17m but less obvious that the gain in hangtime.

What really shines is Aluula stability and ability to recover after a jump reception mistake, which is not obvious for every LEI in 7 knots when kite goes beyond your head. Even in the worse cases where I got some hindenburg start, it finally recovered its shape because it started falling slowlier than other heavier kite, then recover its shape and without trendemous bar input skills.

Also the depower is excellent, which helps both for high ends but also jump easiness : you can ride in higher winds , so higher jumps, but you can also better keep your edging during the upward sending just before the jump.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:06 pm

new ride yesterday; wind increased faster than I thought; so I was able to test quite high wind for this size / varying from 10 to 15 knots on hydrofoil ; memorable session ... 4h15 non stop, so great than I did not want to come back to shore to change-out for a 10m ; other heavier foilriders where with 8 to 12 m Kites.

Depower is great; I was never overpowered; agility is very impressive for its size, better than 12m foilkites; so this combination allowed me to test my tricks despite the size vs wind ; I was able to pass and land my first double front roll , and also my first boogieloop (Frontroll/ kite loop) and front roll downloop ; I also confirmed my contra boogie loop (backroll fronloop) and had almost 100% success on double backrolls ; just to say how "easy and responsive" this kite is;

Also tested in the 1m shore break, enough to have large fun, even if due to the size and aspect ration, you need to manage the kite and keep a eye on it ; when fully slack lines, it was not very stable but always easy to recover ; only once in the water after a higher wave downwind + lull, but relaunched extremely quickly, even without waiting to reach the side window.

trendemous kite, but need to keep the bar in hand in light wind as it can hindenburg (smoothly) ; The Juice Dlab 15m I tested last month seems a bit less nervous and "heavy", but less flappy when sheet out and more stable and "plug and play" for beginners/intermediats i light winds, or people wanting to let the bar go unhanded when swimming or prepare the water start.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:53 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:06 pm
other heavier foilriders where with 8 to 12 m Kites.
Not totally sure that's a fair comparison. Its well known that you ride a lot more powered on a hydrofoil that the majority of riders. 8)

With regards to the Juice DLAB 15m - I got the impression this was marketed towards heavier riders. Hence the heavier bar pressure feeling

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:33 am

Ah ok that is interesting for the juice. Indeed a bit more bar pressure, a bit slower, a bit less agile. Very tiny difference since d-lab juice 15m kite was great.

And on the other hand juice has a more tensioned canopy, less flap, more "compact" when sheet out, more plug and play and linear, and so a bit less "living" (at my light weight) indeed.

Indeed I now ride more powered than average. From my feelings this 17m puts the acceptability of power even beyond . I was reading from early users than Aluula is expensive ok but you can reduce your quiver thanks to wider wind range , which i think (I experienced actually) is true with both flite and roam. Maybe due to aluula gain in stiffness when fully depowered ? I do not know

Return to “Videos”