Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Central Florida?

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Central Florida?

Postby SpaceRacer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Hi, I have done a little research and it appears that from what I have read in general Central Florida gets the best wave/wind combo in the state? If this is generally true then it is a place I would like to explore. Which areas/towns would you recommend? My criteria would be: 1) Wind/Wave combo. 2) Least crowded and least restricted (COVID notwithstanding). 3) Decent town for my non-kiting wife. I have no timeframe or agenda right now but would like to check it out and am willing to go as far north or south as the criteria fit. Any help is appreciated. SR

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Central Florida?

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 pm

https://kiteboardingflorida.com/spot-gu ... l-florida/

On S-SE, I prefer Parrish Park (Titusville) on the Indian River (offshore wind, slick flatwater riding). On N-NW, ride at the 520 Slick (Cocoa Beach) on the Banana River (offshore wind, slick flatwater riding). On E-NE-SE, ride most anywhere at the beach (Cocoa). See the link for Central Florida spots on the East Coast.

On the West Coast, I like Fort DeSoto for flatwater. Others prefer the Skyway Bridge. The Gulf is usually fairly tame for surf riding, but there aren't many restrictions on where to ride (unlike South Florida).

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:09 am

I will add that the indian river water south of cocoa beach is cleaner. Clear water and beautiful much of the way between indiatlantic down to vero beach for example. Vero beach is an extremely polished town, very pretty. Cocoa beach more lively and developed/touristy/cruise port area.
The atlantic ocean beach is great kitesurfing anyplace in central fl just do a little poke around the public access points and stop at the one that looks good. The intercoastal lagoon/river water quality however does vary as I mentioned. As far as covid regs or regular restrictions go it’s about as freewheelin as you’re gonna find in the usa.

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:40 am

Can't understand why anyone would prefer Skyway to Fort Desoto. North Beach is such a great place to spend a day.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:45 pm

I live in central Florida. Agree that it is best combo of wind/waves. North is better waves but worse wind, south is better wind but worse waves. That being said I would NOT solely go to central Florida, I recommend a road trip. The east coast of the state is super diverse and a great road trip as follows:

Fly into Jax and out Miami or FLL, rent a car.
- One of the best towns in Florida is Saint Augustine which is between Jax and Daytona. Your wife will love it. The wind is not as good as central Florida but the waves are better and if you get the right conditions (NE wind) you can do epic downwinders with a chase car on the beach. Lots of non-kiting stuff to do, just google it.
- Next drive to Melbourne area and talk to Goodbreeze kiteboarding, they will hook you up with the riding spots there. Try to be around when a rocket launch is scheduled from the space center for a great experience.
- I would then go to Delray or Palm beach to stay a night or two and enjoy some clear blue water.
- Spend one night in Miami if you haven't been and check the sites, kiting is not easy there though.
- Drive down to Islamorada and talk to Otherside kiteboarding for some beautiful flatwater keys kiting and hit their cable park. Go to Key west for a day trip or one night.

COVID: There are no mandatory restrictions. Most businesses DO require masks so bring a few. Most things are outdoors down here so it shouldn't really affect you very much honestly. We dine outside at restaurants about once a week, go to the beach everyday, and hang out with friends/family outside regularly. I'm a doctor and even though the covid cases are way down around here it is still absolutely decimating and killing some high risk patients in our hospital system, just like everywhere else so be aware.
These users thanked the author RadDrDuke for the post:
FLandOBX (Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”