Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Trainer kite on a paddleboard

Forum for kitesurfers
norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Trainer kite on a paddleboard

Postby norcom » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:08 am

Btonio wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:14 pm
Hello,
It is funny to see that someone else had the exact same idea as you !

I am considering buying the next F-one Rocket air 7.6 (2021 model) and pairing it with a trainer kite / foil kite (I was thinking about the 4.2 HQ hydra but I read the comment regarding the Peak 4).

I really don't know if it can work but the idea would be to paddle upwind for 300/500 m , deploy the kite and come back even if I cannot go upwind with the kite.
If it works, I would like to consider mounting the foil under the paddleboard (as it is designed for) and try the same and hopefully riding upwind with this configuration.

Why lauching from the sea:
1/ because in many beaches here in the French Riviera it is forbidden to launch your kite on the sand.
2/ to create a new sport :)

... however I watched some videos "how to launch from a jetski", not sure it will be the same with a drifting paddle. HQ Hydra seems appropriate for water "re"lauch. Not sure it will be possible with the Peak 4.

@Ittiandro : did you finally try ? anyone else ?

Do you think it can work ? Do you think it can be fun ? Any recommandation before i loose some money ^^

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks
If you weren't aware, you dug up a thread from 2019. :D Because you're asking about using a trainer kite or a Peak, I'm guessing you may not know how to fly a kite. So I can tell you both will be EXTREMELY hard to water launch for someone who has little experience with kites.

Get the wing, you'll enjoy it more than the struggle of swimming out and learning something that's complicated to learn on land. Or better yet take kite lessons. You'll quickly understand why what you want to do isn't as easy as it looks.

But to answer your question, yes, it can be done. It can but wont be fun. Have you thought what you'll do with a paddle? I use a SUP with my Peaks. A 5'10 100L Outwit. I also bought a collapsible 3 piece Naish SUP paddle but not to go upwind. I still haven't used the SUP paddle on a kite outing. The few times I brought a paddle with me was for self rescue and I brought a collapsible canoe/boat paddle. It's WAY smaller than the SUP paddle. Having the paddle is a HUGE hindrance when you're using the kite power. Mine was strapped to my back and still annoying. And the only reason I even brought the paddle was because during beach closures, I had to launch in some sketchy spots, with some sketchy rescue points but I needed a sesh! :lol:

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:09 am

norcom wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:08 am
If you weren't aware, you dug up a thread from 2019. :D
2014. And, still a valid topic. I used a hydra 350 a few times on a sup. Not much fun and mostly only a down wind ride. But it gives you the opportunity to haul some junk with you, as well as have a paddle for when the wind drops to nothing.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:33 am

Btonio wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:36 pm
Thx for your answer Herman. I think I will anchor to the 300m buoy to launch.

Any other comments regarding the feasibility of such an activity ? Do you think it is possible to SUP foil witha 4.2m² powerkite or a xxx m² Peak 4 ? (or should I buy a wing as everyone :p )

The new HQ hydra (HQ4) has just been released but I am very hesitating to buy it since I have no clue if the project can work (& be fun)

Buy a wing.

Much better for land as takes up less space, less risky for you and bystanders or beach goers, and works in much more gusty winds.

And perfect for the whole family on a SUP, to have fun, eventhough upwind not really possible.

And yourself, get a wingfoil board later of course.

You also avoid parents thinking you and your girlfriend will decapitate their children with the lines :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:32 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:33 am

Buy a wing.

Much better for land as takes up less space, less risky for you and bystanders or beach goers, and works in much more gusty winds.

And perfect for the whole family on a SUP, to have fun, eventhough upwind not really possible.

You also avoid parents thinking you and your girlfriend will decapitate their children with the lines :rollgrin:

8) Peter
Wings are pretty expensive!
And get damaged very fast if you scratch over the street (land).
My product of choice would be WoW Sails!

Btonio
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 65
Local Beach: Nice - France
Favorite Beaches: Almanarre - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish 6,9,12

Postby Btonio » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:08 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:33 am
Btonio wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:36 pm
Thx for your answer Herman. I think I will anchor to the 300m buoy to launch.

Any other comments regarding the feasibility of such an activity ? Do you think it is possible to SUP foil witha 4.2m² powerkite or a xxx m² Peak 4 ? (or should I buy a wing as everyone :p )

The new HQ hydra (HQ4) has just been released but I am very hesitating to buy it since I have no clue if the project can work (& be fun)

Buy a wing.

8) Peter
Thank you Peter, I think you are right, launching a trainer kite from the sea (especially while drifting) does not seem a good idea.
The SUP I am referring too can be converted in SUP foil so I hope I can go upwind on it. I will not try with offshore winds for sure. Let see in April ;)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 pm

Herman wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:02 pm
There are also videos of people kiting with SUP but these are likely to be experienced kitesurfers.
Learning to kite on a SUP is actually very challenging. You are better off on your knees (inflatables are more comfortable) as you can really dig your rail and trail one foot off the side to use as an extra rudder. If you know what you are doing they go upwind just fine, but you really have to muscle the board around and gybes are extreemely hard.

Water launching a Peak 4 is not going to be easy either. But you might actually be able to go upwind on a non-foil SUP with it, I've only ridden my 17m & 12m LEIs with my iSUP and both went upwind very well. If you opt for a wing you will not be able to go upwind on a non-foil SUP.

I would say just get a wing and a foil.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 am

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 pm
Learning to kite on a SUP is actually very challenging.
The higher the volume of the board, the more difficult it is to kiteboard - at planning speeds.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:05 am

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 am
The higher the volume of the board, the more difficult it is to kiteboard - at planning speeds.
This one's more about swing weight and edge length than volume.

Return to “Kitesurfing”