Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Miami / S Florida Current Situation

Postby RickI » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:47 am

Virginia key was about the only place I liked to kite in Miami. We lost it years ago and tried to get it back several times. Lonny and others finally succeeded but we can easily lose it again. This photo summarizes the rules.

We lost access to the state park you mentioned in the early 2000s. Since then we’ve lost access at many other state parks
Like Bill Baggs on Key Biscayne and too many others. Even though the density is low and it covers miles of beaches we’re out because that is apparently the way we wanted it?! The Rangers aren’t too friendly to kiters there I understand.
Attachments
CFF771E5-6806-4D27-B077-DDA56F1B1E96.jpeg
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Sun (Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby deniska » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:16 am

RickI wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:47 am
The Rangers aren’t too friendly to kiters there I understand.
the rangers were pretty reasonable.. some folks had a few bottles of champagne open on the beach and they just politely mentioned that the glass is not allowed... the only weird rule is booting everyone out of the park at 5pm.. which is well before sunset..
the launch there is pretty sketchy BTW...

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:04 am

Updates so far:

On Friday went to Crandon. They require IKO certification, and a “kiting membership” to kite on weekends. Cool looking spot, but since their instructors were booked for the weekend we had no way to get certified as step one. Did not even consider paying the $350/yr membership for the weekend.

So we drove up 10 minutes to Virginia Key and kited for free. Like Deniska and Rickl suggested, the launch is a touch sketchy for those who are used to wide open sandy beaches. Lots of smooth, rounded coral on the beach and in the water, a 3-5m sand strip that is nestled between two rock breakwater piers about 30m apart. Lifeguards were chill, but they do enforce the “stay out of the bouy boundary for bathers.” Reasonable people all-in-all. My girlfriend’s kite dropped when the wind fell to 9mph and she drifted in to the bather area. Lifeguards asked if she needed help (she was good) then kindly asked for us to take the gear back to the lunch corridor to get it untangled. All in all not bad, but the park closes at five though.

Today kited up by 87th Street. Made sure to be respectable and leave room, since we did not get the “streamers” from City Hall. No worries. I pulled in a kite that got entirely detached from a rider, I figured having it drift into a bather area would not be good. But otherwise no issues. Police were periodically patrolling the beach, no questions asked. Was a damn fine day today.

Wind shifts again tomorrow, might try Virginia key again, or head back to 87th. South Beach is probably a gamble without the streamer. Don’t feel the need to drive up to Delray or down to the Keys.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:37 am

was a good day today.. I ended up on 76st.. by sunset it was empty with just me on the water.. good wind for 9m.. I saw more kites at 87th..

Return to “Kitesurfing”