leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Less efficient on toeside riding. Why?

Postby leeuwen » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi,

I noticed that when I am riding toeside I am less efficient: I lose some power in the kite and am not able to go as much upwind.
I wonder why this is and if there is something specific I can focus on to improve. Or is it something that just happens for everyone?
The difference I am talking about is not gigantic but there certainly is some performance I am losing. Especially when I can just ride normally I would not be able to ride toeside. I need 1-2 knots extra to make it work.

Thx

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Less efficient on toeside riding. Why?

Postby grigorib » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:32 pm

Toeside is not exactly most efficient posture. Especially if your riding with a hook, not with a rope slider

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:43 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:06 pm
Hi,

I noticed that when I am riding toeside I am less efficient: I lose some power in the kite and am not able to go as much upwind.
I wonder why this is and if there is something specific I can focus on to improve. Or is it something that just happens for everyone?
The difference I am talking about is not gigantic but there certainly is some performance I am losing. Especially when I can just ride normally I would not be able to ride toeside. I need 1-2 knots extra to make it work.

Thx
That's totally normal, especially in the beginning and you don't have the technic down just right.
Think of it in similar terms of doing any trick to your favored side VS your weak side...it takes longer to do it to your weak side, but keep at it and practice makes perfect.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:06 pm

Toeside is far more efficient at going downwind though, sometimes in LW it can be a real struggle to go downwind on heelside.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:46 am

Less efficient toeside is normal :thumb:

A few very talented and those with flexible bodies can make it work almost as good, but most, and especially some like me, can't make it work well at all, regarding upwind efficiency or relaxation.

You also have to stand a tad further back on your board because of the hook position.

It is also in the nature of our bodies,.
We all know that looking in the direction we want to go or turn or rotate in jumps, works wonders, our body will follow the head.
Same with a twisted body, it will naturally seek to twist back, and you have to override this by practicing...

Some has a very dominant side of course (regular or goofy), but it doesnt matter here, it was about WHY you are less efficient toeside in general, both sides.

Good thing is, you don't have to ride toeside for long, only when carving around back and forth having fun or in waves, where efficiency doesn't matter :D

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
leeuwen (Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Postby wheat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:03 am

as nherbold, brought up. practice and think about the weak side, toeside.

There is the hierarchy of riding strengths for side and foot forward. how much high wind you can handle, how low wind can you ride, how much of a disturbance can you handle.
Strongest: Heelside, Dominant foot forward.
Strong: Heelside, Weak foot forward,
Weak: Toeside, Dominant Forward
Weakest: Toeside, Weak foot forward

On the board, practicing your weakest style most will bring them all up.
Off the board, yoga body twists. and board sports with your weak foot forward. Practice big and small repeated toe turns. Snowboard, skateboard, ripstick, one wheel.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:56 am

I'm very relaxed riding toe-side dominant foot forward ... but I would still say I'm not as efficient going upwind in that position. I think that's normal. If not, you would presumably see racers going upwind toe-side.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:49 am

The kite is the same, the board is the same and you don’t put on weight by turning to toeside. So obviously it is the difference in the way you ride and control the kite in the 2 different stances. If you are not having board control issues I would look at kite control and sheeting to improve. Maybe set the rear pigs so that you are using a bit of trim in on heelside so that you can trim out before turning to toeside to have a more comfortable sheeting position. Then try to build apparent wind before turning upwind and driving with the hips to maintain speed and power in the kite. But as already said there is likely to always be a difference the above is just a suggestion that may just help you feel where the difference is coming from.
Last edited by Herman on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:58 am

Thx for the responses.
It seems normal in that everyone loses some efficiency.
I am super comfortable riding toe-side (I use a rope slider) and the difference is not huge so I guess that is to be expected.
I guess some of the pull of the kite is not transferred to forward motion due to difference in stance.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:46 am

And possibly you do not generate as much pull from the kite. For me I would estimate that the losses are about 60% from board control and 40% from kite control. But this ratio also depends on amount of power available, sea state........

Return to “Hydrofoil”