Soul 12m
Sonic 15m
Radical 6 (134)
Danyboard directional
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Soul line adjustment after 2.5 years

Postby mashimisha » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:31 pm

My 12m Soul was not behaving normally - tips folding in and lack of boost.
Short mixer test results - z-line was 3 cm shorter than a-line.
Long mixer test result - z-line was 12 cm shorter than a-line.
Of course, B and C lines are messed up too, but they are easy to adjust. I need to equalize the a- and z-lines first.

My question:

Should I just extend the z-lines by 12 cm?
Should I shorten the a-lines by 12 cm?
Should I do a combination of the two?

If I do any of these things to make the long mixer test correct, then the short mixer results will have the z-line 8cm too long.
Is that a problem?

There is no way to adjust the difference between the a-line and z-line. This seems to be a design flaw, as the z-line shrinks the most, and the a-line shrinks the least. If you adjust the difference by adjusting the connection on the bar, then you can no longer perform either of the mixer tests because the attachment points are no longer equal. How should I proceed?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Soul line adjustment after 2.5 years

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:42 pm

Your problem is you are starting with A and Z attached to the same point (both front and back lines attached to the same place). You need to anchor the front and back lines to different points (approx 6-8inches apart). That way you can move them back and forth until A and Z match . Only when you have found the right spot start the mixer test on A, B and C.

Watch this to see what I mean:
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
mashimisha (Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:44 pm

Don't forget to compare the yellow lines from one side to the other. A kite with a well tuned mixer can still be a bit odd if the yellow lines are different lengths (note that they are different lengths on the same side).
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:59 pm

The mixer doesn’t care if the front and back line attachment points are even or not. The important is both sides are equal and that as the front and back lines move in relation to each other, the mixer ends stay in line. Small tweaks from this can be normal to change camber with sheeting but big displacement can result in problems.
Attachments
92381E60-7FCC-4BBF-9EE5-DB3275E7DD45.png
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post (total 2):
mashimisha (Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 am) • Nelis (Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:43 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:07 pm

To check A, B and C line A and Z has to have markers in same place... if your A and Z is off by 12cm who do you compare A and B or C? I would first check is my left and lines are same length. A and Z not suppose to adjusted in my opinion on otherwise FS would provide feature to do it.
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post:

mashimisha
Rare Poster
Weight: 75 Kg
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Tablas Island, Philippines
Nitinat Lake, Canada
Style: Freeride and boosting
Gear: Soul 9m
Soul 12m
Sonic 15m
Radical 6 (134)
Danyboard directional

Postby mashimisha » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:19 pm

Thank you so much for your help everyone. Jyoder, that little diagram speaks volumes.

So, just to be clear, I will do the following.

1. Stake out the lines at the main attachment point, with the stakes 20 cm apart (corresponding to the distance between them while the kite is flying).
2. Proceed directly with the long mixer test (skip the short mixer test).
3. Find the center point between the A- and Z-lines.
4. Adjust B- and C-lines to align the markers with the center point identified in Step 3.
5. Adjust connection points on the bar to adjust differential length between front and rear lines (according to my preferred amount of back stall) and correct for drift to the left or right.

It appears that staking out the lines wider (e.g., 1 meter apart) would allow for more precise measurements, as this would increase the parallax (Just a thought).

mashimisha
Rare Poster
Weight: 75 Kg
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Tablas Island, Philippines
Nitinat Lake, Canada
Style: Freeride and boosting
Gear: Soul 9m
Soul 12m
Sonic 15m
Radical 6 (134)
Danyboard directional

Postby mashimisha » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:05 am

SolarSet wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:07 pm
To check A, B and C line A and Z has to have markers in same place... if your A and Z is off by 12cm who do you compare A and B or C? I would first check is my left and lines are same length. A and Z not suppose to adjusted in my opinion on otherwise FS would provide feature to do it.
If I am not mistaken, they do provide this feature. I can adjust the length of my A-line by adjusting the depower rope, can't I?
My Z-lines are 10-12 cm too long. Perhaps, I can shorten the depower rope by that much. Is this advisable?

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:21 am

You must be getting something wrong Z line should be getting shorter than A,B & C line. In fact bridal lines don't extend as much as they shrink if they are not equally tensioned. Z line is least tensioned at its steering line and most of time has little tension comparing to A, B & C line.

To adjust A, B & C you need to first find point were A & Z is equal length otherwise comparing A to B and C is pointless. You have to attach lines to fix point grab bridal markers and more left or right until these two are same position.

This video although in german helped me understand relationship between A & Z affect kites attack angle.

These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post:
mashimisha (Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:53 am)

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:56 pm

Its weird that your Z is longer than A it should have been the opposite. But either way you can fix A and Z later at the bar. For B and C, first attach your A and Z at a secure point with 2 separate ropes with one being 12 cm shorter than the other. Or just tie one rope with Z and then one with A and adjust the length of one of them until both come equal at the long mixer test. Both of the ropes attached to the same point. Just lengthen or shorten one or the other accoringly. Then adjust the B and C to come equal. Then you can adjust your bar for A and Z.
These users thanked the author Soleas for the post:
mashimisha (Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:54 am)

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:09 pm

mashimisha wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:05 am
SolarSet wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:07 pm
If I am not mistaken, they do provide this feature. I can adjust the length of my A-line by adjusting the depower rope, can't I?
My Z-lines are 10-12 cm too long. Perhaps, I can shorten the depower rope by that much. Is this advisable?
The right bar trim: All lines equal in length, with open front line depower trimmer ( full length) and bar pulled down towards the QR (full power).
Your A and Z points theoretical are: Front/ Backlines(21m)+ Front/Back Main(100cm)+ A-/Z-Main( 120cm), open trimmer, bar pulled down.
It is unusual that "Z -lines are 10-12cm too long" I do not know what you mean with Z lines, but" shorten the depower rope by that much" sounds wrong.( I think you should check your bar trim and adjust the backlines under the floaters)
Did you try to make a " ultra" long mixer test without pulling your Bar down to the QR? Then Z would be longer than A by the length of your depower rope (50cm)
If this post was you confusing even more have a look at the line plan, the manual and the video of our kite life.
If you get this hole trimming thing once right it will be super easy.

Return to “Foil Kites”