Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Slick 2021

Forum for wing surfers
Daniel_B
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Duotone Slick 2021

Postby Daniel_B » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:48 pm

The all-new Slick is designed around the Mini Boom concept, this offers some unique advantages over other wings on the market. This system gives you all the control of a boom, along with all the benefits of a centre strut. You get improved control over the profile and luffing stability, plus a much more integrated connection to the wing itself through the Mini Boom. You can choose between aluminium or carbon booms, and one size fits all the wings. Dihedral angles on wings are critical, the team spent a long time working out the best angle to offer the maximum stability when riding using the front handle. The canopy tension has been tuned to offer the maximum power with an absolute minimum of flutter.

The window shape has also been refined to provide unrivalled visibility without making it larger than it needs to be. The Slick is our latest project, and many riders will be impressed by the performance advantages, but why should you choose the Slick over the Echo or the Unit? The Slick is the versatile all-rounder in the range, being the most innovative and most advanced design out there. It is perfect for beginners and experts alike and is the go-to wing for most riders. If you want a wing that can do it all, is forgiving and easy to fly, while being packed with the latest technology and a perfect blend between simple and elaborate, the Slick is the ideal choice for you.

https://www.duotonesports.com/foilwing/ ... ngs/slick/

PS. I have no affiliation with Duotone
These users thanked the author Daniel_B for the post:
ronnie (Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Daniel_B
Rare Poster

Re: Duotone Slick 2021

Postby Daniel_B » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:59 pm

Hi,

I was looking to get a Duotone Echo, but this one looks like a clear improvement.

The mini boom is available in both aluminium and carbon. How much weight could that save (in grams)? Would it be even noticeable when holding the whole wing. If so, would it make any practical difference?

It's available for pre-order on some sites. In the EU, I found it on flysurf.com and surfpirates.de, both starting at €729. Has anyone found a lower EU price (at a reliable site)?

Daniel

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:38 pm

The same size boom fits all sizes of wing.
https://www.pooleharbour.co.uk/products ... -foil-wing
MINI BOOM
A slick with a carbon boom is about the same weight as a 1m smaller slick with an aluminium boom.
PLATINUM -
> Carbon construction
> Oval shaft (26mm inside fingers)
> Fits all Slick sizes
> Weight: 330g

SILVER -
> Aluminium construction
> Oval shaft (26mm inside fingers)
> Fits all Slick sizes
> Weight: 580g

SIZE - 125cm

So the listed weight of the Slick 5.5m with carbon mini boom is very slightly less than the weight of the 6m Unit.

I would like Duotone to list the spans of all the Slick wings, as they seem to have a stronger selling case because of a lower span for big sizes.
Because of the 'one size' boom and narrow span, I think the bigger sizes will be particularly popular.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:58 am

I think it's a great solution. Quite possible other brands will come out with something better in years ahead but for now, well done. It shouldn't be patentable because it's not even remotely complicated and the period of protection given to a supplier by a patent in reward for advancing a field is in this case not justified, it's simply not novel enough to have not been produced in another year or few by other brands. I suspect Duotone will try to patent it but when you consider the abundance of tents and other structures utilising a rod in a pocket in a tensegrity arrangement it's really very debateable that in court they would be able to prove the novelty that is supposed to be required for new inventions.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:10 am

Patent? Kite wing has been patented 1982 by Jim Drake afaik seen by other (skimbat) source. Also when Skimbat wings have been with booms for 30 years..

To patent you need to have something new. They'll take your patent money but when patent is challenged you realize wasting money. At patents don't look application pictures but "claims". What is claimed to be innovated.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:06 am

I wonder if it’s really worth upgrading from my current Echo’s, which I’m very happy with. From V1 to V2 was definitely worth the upgrade. Haven’t been convinced of this one yet..........

Actually I just listened to Alan Cadiz do an interview with Robert Stehlik at Blue Planet. Sounds like the Slick is much “stiffer” than the Echo, which was already much stiffer than the V1 Duotone. More speed, better upwind, and of course better luffing with the inflatable strut. I feel the wallet getting lighter already.......

Daniel_B
Rare Poster

Postby Daniel_B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Dave K wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:06 am
Actually I just listened to Alan Cadiz do an interview with Robert Stehlik at Blue Planet. Sounds like the Slick is much “stiffer” than the Echo, which was already much stiffer than the V1 Duotone. More speed, better upwind, and of course better luffing with the inflatable strut. I feel the wallet getting lighter already.......

A bit long, but I understood that the aluminum boom is oval compared to the carbon being round. Could that have some benefit, for example feeling tho position of the wings?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:52 am

Daniel_B wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm
A bit long, but I understood that the aluminum boom is oval compared to the carbon being round. Could that have some benefit, for example feeling tho position of the wings?
Likely yes. it will give more profile to the handle to control the angle the wing sits at. Unlike wings with semi-soft/semi-rigid handles where you have to control the down wind wingtip height by rotating the wing on the plane defined by it's span and chord. Also, almost all the loading is from the centre of the dihedral towards the handle, pulling on the handle it can be stronger and more resistant to snapping and/or buckling by being thicker in profile vertically than it is wide.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:55 pm

fluidity wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:52 am
Daniel_B wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm
Likely yes. it will give more profile to the handle to control the angle the wing sits at. Unlike wings with semi-soft/semi-rigid handles where you have to control the down wind wingtip height by rotating the wing on the plane defined by it's span and chord. Also, almost all the loading is from the centre of the dihedral towards the handle, pulling on the handle it can be stronger and more resistant to snapping and/or buckling by being thicker in profile vertically than it is wide.

Indeed, I love the oval boom, feels great to hold, good grip, and you can hold/feel it even better with one hand, when oval.

The first Duotone had a round boom, but they are compatible with the oval Echo boom, can be used for both the V1 and Echo, and almost only the round versus oval as difference.

Apart from as mentioned, oval a bit stiffer and does not bend as much when loaded.

Carbon is lighter, and stiff, excellent.

But you will lose the feel ex-windsurfers in particular, love, if too thin and "slippery".
Unless you have a good grip surface.

I have also used thinner carbon rods on another brand, without grip at all, too slippery for me.

But if the carbon rod has a good boom grip, it will feel and work good.

Some will like the superlight efficient without grip, others will like a more grippy boom.

I have no idea what the Slick will have :roll:

8) Peter

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:38 pm

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2020152198A1/en
The translation from German is far from perfect. When you read 'tree' (German - Baum) think Boom!
fluidity wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:58 am
...It shouldn't be patentable because it's not even remotely complicated and the period of protection given to a supplier by a patent in reward for advancing a field is in this case not justified, it's simply not novel enough to have not been produced in another year or few by other brands. I suspect Duotone will try to patent it but when you consider the abundance of tents and other structures utilising a rod in a pocket in a tensegrity arrangement it's really very debateable that in court they would be able to prove the novelty that is supposed to be required for new inventions.
joriws wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:10 am
Patent? Kite wing has been patented 1982 by Jim Drake afaik seen by other (skimbat) source. Also when Skimbat wings have been with booms for 30 years..

To patent you need to have something new. They'll take your patent money but when patent is challenged you realize wasting money. At patents don't look application pictures but "claims". What is claimed to be innovated.

Return to “Wingsurfing”