Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: queenscliff
Gear: Ozone foil kites
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils
Wings: F-one Stike, Ensis
Brand Affiliation: None

Advice from fellow ozone foil kiters

Postby addictedtofoil » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:48 am

I am 100kg, kiting (lei) for 20 years, foiling (moses foils) for four months (landing on foil single/double forward/backward flips). I like boosting high lofty jumps and riding powered on the 9m, as well as slow cruising/carving on 633. I have been using ozone foil kites for four months and love them 2018 13 R1 V2, 2018 Chrono 11m V3, 2019 Hyperlink 9m V2.

I have tried a soul 10m, it was nice but didn’t depower when flying through the window and couldn’t get my timing right for jumping, albeit only had 1.5hr riding time.

I am thinking about getting a 7m Hyperlink V2 for those 18-20+ knot days when the 9m becomes a handful even after switching to jumping wings 695 or 548.

I was also considering the Chrono V3 UL 7m, but they are no longer made.

Would there be too much overlap with the 9m Hyperlink and what’s the hang time like compared to the 9m Hyperlink?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: Advice from fellow ozone foil kiters

Postby Foil » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:31 pm

addictedtofoil wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:48 am
I am 100kg, kiting (lei) for 20 years, foiling (moses foils) for four months (landing on foil single/double forward/backward flips). I like boosting high lofty jumps and riding powered on the 9m, as well as slow cruising/carving on 633. I have been using ozone foil kites for four months and love them 2018 13 R1 V2, 2018 Chrono 11m V3, 2019 Hyperlink 9m V2.

I have tried a soul 10m, it was nice but didn’t depower when flying through the window and couldn’t get my timing right for jumping, albeit only had 1.5hr riding time.

I am thinking about getting a 7m Hyperlink V2 for those 18-20+ knot days when the 9m becomes a handful even after switching to jumping wings 695 or 548.

I was also considering the Chrono V3 UL 7m, but they are no longer made.

Would there be too much overlap with the 9m Hyperlink and what’s the hang time like compared to the 9m Hyperlink?

Wow that's weird,
you sound so much like me, I thought someone was having a laugh,
I have had many of the same kites,and even a session on the V3 R1.
My Soul experience was with the newish 9mtr, 6 months ago, and I found the same as you, as a regular chrono and Hyperlink user, then in comparison to the ozone kites I found the soul was just too mad and bad in a blow, down looping into a turn gave me nightmares, the power was far too aggressive, anyways I sold that kite a month after buying it new,
The new V4 chrono is not made in sizes under 11mtr, shame, as last years small chronos were awesome, but I have this years 11mtr V4 chrono, and that is better than the v3 Chrono, in every way, even boosting!
I have the V2 hyperlinks 7mtr and 9mtr and both are almost as good as my old v3 chronos, but the v2 hyperlinks are more stable, easier to use, and relaunch is maybe 20% easier,
for boosting big, like the chrono v3, then you need winds which are more solid than you need for the chrono, I was on my V2 9mtr HL today in 14-15 knts, and the jumps were very chrono v3 feeling, the 7mtr v2 HL is shockingly good as well in its upper range of 20knts to 24knts, but your worry about the sizes overlapping is simply not an issue, yes the 7 can be fun in 13-15 knts, but not on flat water and not for jumping high, you do need quite a bit more wind to make it a great session on the 7mtr, loads of float on both kites, which is simply not the case for my 5mtr V1 HLink ulight, it serves me well in winds over 26knts to around 32 knts, then the fun starts to tail off, boosting is good but float is not the best, but that's true of any tiny kite I have ever used.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
addictedtofoil (Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils

Postby addictedtofoil » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:15 am

Thank so much Foil for the information. Nice to hear that the overlap won’t be too much of an issue. I imagine riding percentages to be 7m @ 15%, 9m @ 70%, and 11m @ 15%. I wing ding as well so always something to do if it gets too windy.

It could be fun to fly the 7m between 15-20knots for some carving fun in wind swell and surf without being too overpowered.

I have pretty good kite skills so relaunching isn't really a big concern and only ever is in marginal wind with the 11m, the 9m has zero issues relaunching.

So, you prefer the v4 11m Chrono to the 11m V2 Hyperlink?

I think it might be time to go from a 11m V3 to 11m V4, and to get a 7m.

Cheers

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:55 am

addictedtofoil wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:15 am
Thank so much Foil for the information. Nice to hear that the overlap won’t be too much of an issue. I imagine riding percentages to be 7m @ 15%, 9m @ 70%, and 11m @ 15%. I wing ding as well so always something to do if it gets too windy.

It could be fun to fly the 7m between 15-20knots for some carving fun in wind swell and surf without being too overpowered.

I have pretty good kite skills so relaunching isn't really a big concern and only ever is in marginal wind with the 11m, the 9m has zero issues relaunching.

So, you prefer the v4 11m Chrono to the 11m V2 Hyperlink?

I think it might be time to go from a 11m V3 to 11m V4, and to get a 7m.

Cheers
your right the 7mtr is a great low wind kite in the waves, and with good foil kite skills you will have a delightful fast and fun kite to play with in the waves, and with ramps available then boosting underpowered is still great.
I decided to go for the 11mtr Chrono purely for the mega light bar pressure and ability to boost huge in very light airs, and its legendary float for more dry board landings.
i think the hyperlinks 5mtr and 7mtr are maybe the easiest kites to relaunch, 100% success rate even after some crazy falls and crashes, they just refuse to stay down,
My V4 11mtr chrono and the 633 will get me up and away in 7ish knts of dense cold steady wind, and I am not a lightweight, but of course you need lightwind kite skills and I have had a board custom made just for superlight wind situations, its a 120cm but high volume 17ltrs, it works great, and reduces my need for a bigger Chrono.
but if we have a summer of soft superlight airs then just maybe I might be tempted buy another 15mtr Chrono, but the V4 this time. but i hope i can get away with just my current gear.
by the way my 9mtr v3 HLink is my most used kite by far, and only one swim in but that was due to my quick release firing off after catching it on my boards rubber deck pads after a long body drag out, after that I had two groove skates made without deck pads in the middle of the board, as it happened a few times to many a few years back and made for frustrating swims back to shore.

addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils

Postby addictedtofoil » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:57 am

I ended up getting a 7m v2 HL and a chrono 9m v3 UL. I have only flown the chrono and it is super quick and boosts great.

Return to “Foil Kites”