Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why shallow water is dangerous

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why shallow water is dangerous

Postby matth » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:26 pm

grigorib wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:08 am
Trent hink wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:22 am
grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:18 pm
How about snakes in water?
I always yield and give way.

No kidding.

Have you seen one lately?
Seen a couple in OBX

Don't freak me out. I hate snakes, lol.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:30 pm

I don't think people will ever agree on the PB debate so I give up. But here's a tip if you ever see a dog attacking a person, Don't go for the head, go for the legs, grab a leg, and twist the shit out of it till it snaps...game over!!

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:40 pm

matth wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:30 pm
I don't think people will ever agree on the PB debate so I give up. But here's a tip if you ever see a dog attacking a person, Don't go for the head, go for the legs, grab a leg, and twist the shit out of it till it snaps...game over!!
That's what I always thought if I ever had to defend myself or my kids from a dog. Grab it from a rear leg and try to slam it against the ground until it's dead. Not doable with heavy dogs for sure.
Is this something you know for sure? Or an idea you came up with?

Also thought in taking off my shirt or jacket and wrapping it around my left fore arm. Then grab a rock or something sharp in my right hand. Then let the dog grab my wrapped fore arm and hit it or peek the dog in the eyes with whatever I have in my right hand.

Anyways, when I walk my ferocious golden doodle, if I see a pit bull, I walk fast the opposite direction. If I'm with my kids, I run in the opposite direction. LOL. Bad doggies!

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Classic example of a dog refusing to let go.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 pm

I knew those golden retrievers were a menace to society. I think they are top 5 in the ranking of dog bites. Better get a super friendly pit bull.

LL2017
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby LL2017 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:49 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:29 am
LL2017 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:51 pm
You wont give an answer because you know, and almost all pitbull owners know too, that you take extra precautions with a pitbull because of the breed.

Dodging that question once again, you have provided damning evidence that you are aware of this and trying to cover it up.

It is common sense that pitbulls require extra care to be taken in training and handling. It's also common sense as to what there breeding was selected for. You know this, and so does every study of animial behavior.

Be honest. That goes further than the smoke screen you think you have created.
Lol. None of that is true. I literally debunked your myths with scientific studies from universities but happy to keep calling you out if you'd like.

LL2017
Rare Poster

Postby LL2017 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:53 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:09 am
LL2017 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:06 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 am

Those weren't pages of statistics :lol: they were a collection of semantic arguments and desperate attempts to obfuscate what are very clear statistics.
Maybe you didn't have your glasses on? I'll post the link again for you. Which clearly links to the studies which show the "very clear statistics".

https://www.pitbullinfo.org/dog-bite-sc ... udies.html
Perhaps you failed to read my reply:

"Those weren't pages of statistics :lol: they were a collection of semantic arguments and desperate attempts to obfuscate what are very clear statistics."

You can waffle all you like about studies on dangerous dog breeds, but the statistics on fatalities clearly show that pit bulls and their mixed breeds are deadly -- be it due to the dogs themselves or meathead owners.
Nothing unclear about the data. Read the studies. What is your argument that the data is not accurate?

"A recent peer-reviewed study that analyzed 140 serious dog bite-related incidents concluded that there is no difference (in the medical treatment required following a bite or in the type of bite inflicted) between dog bites by breeds stereotyped as "dangerous" (legislated breeds such as German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and "pitbull-type" dogs) and other breeds of similar sizes and strengths that are not stereotyped as "dangerous" (non-legislated breeds such as Boxers, Labrador Retrievers, and Bulldogs".

Study link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5521144/

"The fact is that because the term "pit bull" is not a breed but instead, a term used to describe a "type" of dog loosely based only on its physical appearance, the term "pit bull" is commonly used by the media as a blanket term to report dog bite-related incidents when the breed is not fully known, when the breed is mixed, or when the dog is misidentified due to inaccurate visual identification methods. Furthermore, the vast majority of media reports on bite-related incidents describe situations that confirm what a recent peer-reviewed study concluded - that factors associated with irresponsible ownership (and not the dog's breed) were the primary cause of the incident. Irresponsible ownership is a precursor to increased risk with strong dogs (of any breed) as evidenced by a 20 year peer-reviewed study that found the majority (72%) of dog bite-related fatalities (DBRFs) attributed to non-pitbull type breeds."

Study link: https://www.avma.org/sites/default/file ... ttacks.pdf

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:04 am

We're 11 pages deep into this so I'm just gonna do it...

Big, scary, good boy, Sam Jam here, is wondering why we're still arguing about this.

*I bring you shark, where's my treats!?*
Dobe.PNG

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:06 am

LL2017 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:53 pm
a 20 year peer-reviewed study that found the majority (72%) of dog bite-related fatalities (DBRFs) attributed to non-pitbull type breeds."
That leaves 28% of DBRFs attributed to pitbull-type breeds.
Since I believe the share of pitbull type breeds among big dogs is less than that (do we have a number?), that still makes them over-represented in those fatalities statistics.

LL2017
Rare Poster

Postby LL2017 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:15 am

bragnouff wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:06 am
LL2017 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:53 pm
a 20 year peer-reviewed study that found the majority (72%) of dog bite-related fatalities (DBRFs) attributed to non-pitbull type breeds."
That leaves 28% of DBRFs attributed to pitbull-type breeds.
Since I believe the share of pitbull type breeds among big dogs is less than that (do we have a number?), that still makes them over-represented in those fatalities statistics.
I don't see an additional breakdown in that study. This graph was based on 20 years of dog bite incident data and identified over 25 breeds associated with DBRF. There are 8 other breeds with higher dog bite-related fatalities per 100,000 dogs than pitbull type.
statistics-breed-risk-rates.png
statistics-breed-risk-rates.png (82.89 KiB) Viewed 1202 times

Return to “Videos”