Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why shallow water is dangerous

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Why shallow water is dangerous

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:20 am

I had a local greyhound that was awesome to race when it is 30 knots - otherwise they will beat me.

I been chased by dogs many times, my friend got chomped on the ass.

I was really taken by surprise when the owner said to him "He is never like that, he is such a lovely timid dog, that is just not my Bobby." lololol

I am no dog expert but if one looks more "bite" than "play" chasing me - i will growl at it,, worked so far :-0

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 am

LL2017 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:53 pm
Nothing unclear about the data. Read the studies. What is your argument that the data is not accurate?

"A recent peer-reviewed study that analyzed 140 serious dog bite-related incidents concluded that there is no difference (in the medical treatment required following a bite or in the type of bite inflicted) between dog bites by breeds stereotyped as "dangerous" (legislated breeds such as German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and "pitbull-type" dogs) and other breeds of similar sizes and strengths that are not stereotyped as "dangerous" (non-legislated breeds such as Boxers, Labrador Retrievers, and Bulldogs".

Study link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5521144/

"The fact is that because the term "pit bull" is not a breed but instead, a term used to describe a "type" of dog loosely based only on its physical appearance, the term "pit bull" is commonly used by the media as a blanket term to report dog bite-related incidents when the breed is not fully known, when the breed is mixed, or when the dog is misidentified due to inaccurate visual identification methods. Furthermore, the vast majority of media reports on bite-related incidents describe situations that confirm what a recent peer-reviewed study concluded - that factors associated with irresponsible ownership (and not the dog's breed) were the primary cause of the incident. Irresponsible ownership is a precursor to increased risk with strong dogs (of any breed) as evidenced by a 20 year peer-reviewed study that found the majority (72%) of dog bite-related fatalities (DBRFs) attributed to non-pitbull type breeds."

Study link: https://www.avma.org/sites/default/file ... ttacks.pdf
Let me summarize for you:
Dogs of a similar size make the same kind of nasty bite. No surprise there.

Owners are part of the issue. No surprise there either, we already know that shitty owners tend to choose dogs that "look like" pit bulls.

And so, dogs that "look like" pit bulls are responsible for the bulk of dog related fatalities.

What's the connection you're failing to make there?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:07 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 am
LL2017 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:53 pm
Nothing unclear about the data. Read the studies. What is your argument that the data is not accurate?

"A recent peer-reviewed study that analyzed 140 serious dog bite-related incidents concluded that there is no difference (in the medical treatment required following a bite or in the type of bite inflicted) between dog bites by breeds stereotyped as "dangerous" (legislated breeds such as German Shepherds, Rottweilers, and "pitbull-type" dogs) and other breeds of similar sizes and strengths that are not stereotyped as "dangerous" (non-legislated breeds such as Boxers, Labrador Retrievers, and Bulldogs".

Study link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5521144/

"The fact is that because the term "pit bull" is not a breed but instead, a term used to describe a "type" of dog loosely based only on its physical appearance, the term "pit bull" is commonly used by the media as a blanket term to report dog bite-related incidents when the breed is not fully known, when the breed is mixed, or when the dog is misidentified due to inaccurate visual identification methods. Furthermore, the vast majority of media reports on bite-related incidents describe situations that confirm what a recent peer-reviewed study concluded - that factors associated with irresponsible ownership (and not the dog's breed) were the primary cause of the incident. Irresponsible ownership is a precursor to increased risk with strong dogs (of any breed) as evidenced by a 20 year peer-reviewed study that found the majority (72%) of dog bite-related fatalities (DBRFs) attributed to non-pitbull type breeds."

Study link: https://www.avma.org/sites/default/file ... ttacks.pdf
Let me summarize for you:
Dogs of a similar size make the same kind of nasty bite. No surprise there.

Owners are part of the issue. No surprise there either, we already know that shitty owners tend to choose dogs that "look like" pit bulls.

And so, dogs that "look like" pit bulls are responsible for the bulk of dog related fatalities.

What would be your solution?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:39 am

Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:07 am
Don't own a pit bull-type dog? They kill their owners the majority of the time. Why do I have to provide a solution? :lol:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:45 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:39 am
Havre wrote:
Don't own a pit bull-type dog? They kill their owners the majority of the time. Why do I have to provide a solution? :lol:
You don't. I was just curious. I know that might be seen as laughable these days, but I can live with that.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:48 pm

Havre wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:45 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:39 am
Havre wrote:
You don't. I was just curious. I know that might be seen as laughable these days, but I can live with that.
No worries :thumb:

Legislation would be how I'd solve it -- if the data supported it. There was a place in the US that banned "dangerous" breeds for like 20 years, and of course fatalities dropped. They reversed the legislation and ... you can guess.

Outlaw cats while we're at it too.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:11 pm

didn't know we have that many kitesurfing dog experts on the forum ;-)

looks like time to close the topic...

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:38 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 am

Like in most things, a very small percentage of pitbull owners are the bad ones. The vast majority, at least subconsciously, know how dangerous of an animal they are dealing with and take precautions to protect the rest of us.

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:06 pm

Re: what's your solution?

Wolf-dog hybrids are arguably more dangerous than any other dog. As a result wolf dogs are regulated more carefully. Because pitbulls are also unusually dangerous there should be similar regulation.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:40 pm

i was landboarding a while back and this big german shepherd dog started chasing me and barking and he was close to me on the turn and i bent down and really shouted as loud as i could f**k off to which the dog then ran off and the owner shouted out to me something which i didn't hear , and i replyed well you could have called him back , but you said nothing

years ago in a light wind , i was trying hard to keep my 13 spd1 up in the air and landboard when a dog jumped up and bit it in the wing , imediately falling back to the ground and ran back to the owner - i made the owner wait while i landed and looked for damage , there was none ,they had a very tough heavy skin

another time at brancaster , there was this heavy log about a metre long and we used too sit on it , i sat on it eating a long chicken ticka long roll and this beagle ran up to me jumped up bit in to it as it fell on to the sand out of my mouth , and it nice too , i threw it at him

Return to “Videos”