For all foil kite riders
merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

flysurfer C-pully line ("sparepart line") knot question

Postby merl » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:14 am

I was just making up some C-pully lines for a flysurfer mixer (sonic 2, but most of them are all the same) - using some flexifoil aqualine (anyone remember it? a sleeved dyneema monofilament that was used as flying lines, slightly stronger than the liros one that flysurfer uses but similar diameter).

I noticed that I forgot the knot that they put on the Z end of the line, and if I add it the lines will be too short. I believe this is a stopper for the pully. I don't see this on any other mixers so my question is, is it really needed or is it just a hangover from an old design?

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Re: flysurfer C-pully line ("sparepart line") knot question

Postby direnc » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:47 pm

This I want to know as well. Also if there's anything wrong with moving the Z main line with a larks head underneath that knot so as to extend Z a few centimeters easily.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 pm

KIte is fully powered when mixer is even, then when depowered lines move in pulleys as far as they do, it mainly depends how big kite is. You can see the working range from used line just looking it carefully, pulley has made some wear on that area.

C-pulley line is long enough for 21m kites so there is plenty length for smaller kites. They could have shorter mixers but for simplicity they are all same. Pulley line length is not at all critical as far as it is long enough.

Z end of C-pulley line has some loop to attach Z main (and/or usually a knot for steering lines), but many kites have there some quick adjustment. My own kites I have ca. 30cm long line with loops on both end, Z main is just a straight line with some knots for easy adjustment, with a larks head knot.

Z main can be moved up (looser) if needed, what ever method is used, nothing wrong with it.
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post (total 3):
direnc (Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:49 pm) • merl (Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:25 pm) • nothing2seehere (Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:43 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:32 pm

I needed to tune my bridle, part of that was to extend the spare parts lines. I just undid the knots, seems to have no ill effect.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 am

merl wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:14 am
I was just making up some C-pully lines for a flysurfer mixer (sonic 2, but most of them are all the same) - using some flexifoil aqualine (anyone remember it? a sleeved dyneema monofilament that was used as flying lines, slightly stronger than the liros one that flysurfer uses but similar diameter).

I noticed that I forgot the knot that they put on the Z end of the line, and if I add it the lines will be too short. I believe this is a stopper for the pully. I don't see this on any other mixers so my question is, is it really needed or is it just a hangover from an old design?
Hello Merl,
Yes, remember it well. It was Flexifoil “Hydro Line” being the official name.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:19 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 pm
C-pulley line is long enough for 21m kites so there is plenty length for smaller kites. They could have shorter mixers but for simplicity they are all same. Pulley line length is not at all critical as far as it is long enough.
To clarify this: for certain mixer pulley line length is of course critical. For instance if FS mixer C-pulley line shrinks (as it does) it will shorten B-C which means decreased camber preset resulting bad performance.

When I make mixers the length of them is not critical as far as there is enough range for pulleys to work as kite needs them to work. There is not much need to deviate usual mixer dimensions.

Lines don't need any stoppers to limit pulley movement but in some cases (stability issues) it could be useful. Then part of the kite has fixed AoA when depowered resulting better stability.

This kind of adjustments need testing of course

Return to “Foil Kites”