Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dominican Republic For Late April - Windy?

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dominican Republic For Late April - Windy?

Postby Havre » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Pana wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:49 pm
Was in Cab mid april to mid may 2 years ago, essentially kited every day with 9m. (I am 90kg). I was told it was an exceptional spring. My understanding is that you can have wind holes for several days. This said i was planning to return for the same period but must wait for vaccine.

This site has good previsions and also history by period, make up your opinion.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... QAEhGOew2x

Enjoy the maried life and hopefully get her kitting, it is a blessing. I know !

Cheers !
That is crazy - in a good way.

I have spent several months in Cabarete over the years, but only once have I used a kite smaller than 12 during winter/spring. Would absolutely love to experience Cabarete with a 9.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:18 pm

Havre wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:25 am
I understand if you are running a shop/school that you would like to present numbers that are favorable to you, but Cabarete in 11 knots isn't for most people. I have watched so many foilkiters trying to get passed the shore break in 11 knots not making it.

Not sure if Buen Hombre might have better wind? It could be worth a day trip.
True - except Stefan's wind history average chart is extremely understated based on my experience. I haven't seen anybody foiling have a problem getting out at Kitebeach, as there is practically no shore break to deal with - especially if the wind is light. If you're wanting 17 knots minimum, that's a much higher bar. As an example, here's my wind record from 32 days in Jan 2018-19:

10 days 11m
9 days 9m
7 days 8m
5 days no wind.

That's 80 kg with a SB (typically kiters on a TT would be using 2 metres bigger). Essentially 16 days of 17kts. plus, 10 days of 13 - 17 knots. Of course, "your experience may vary". If late April is more similar to May, wind might be a lot better. Buen Hombre appears to always have 4 or 5 knots more than Cabarete. Not sure if it's the place for a honeymoon though. :-?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:30 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:18 pm
Havre wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:25 am
I understand if you are running a shop/school that you would like to present numbers that are favorable to you, but Cabarete in 11 knots isn't for most people. I have watched so many foilkiters trying to get passed the shore break in 11 knots not making it.

Not sure if Buen Hombre might have better wind? It could be worth a day trip.
True - except Stefan's wind history average chart is extremely understated based on my experience. I haven't seen anybody foiling have a problem getting out at Kitebeach, as there is practically no shore break to deal with - especially if the wind is light. If you're wanting 17 knots minimum, that's a much higher bar. As an example, here's my wind record from 32 days in Jan 2018-19:

10 days 11m
9 days 9m
7 days 8m
5 days no wind.

That's 80 kg with a SB (typically kiters on a TT would be using 2 metres bigger). Essentially 16 days of 17kts. plus, 10 days of 13 - 17 knots. Of course, "your experience may vary". If late April is more similar to May, wind might be a lot better. Buen Hombre appears to always have 4 or 5 knots more than Cabarete. Not sure if it's the place for a honeymoon though. :-?
The last 50-60 days I spent in Cabarete in January and February I probably kited between 10 and 15 times. The first time I was there for 3.5 weeks I had only one day without wind. Never really strong wind, but between 15 and 20 knots. If Cabarete had always been as good as my first time or like you experienced it - I would have bought an apartment there. I know quite a few Norwegians who have been there and I have never met anyone who has had brilliant wind in the winter. Even if I do remember the winter I went to Zanzibar (I believe that was 2017/2018) that people I know in Cabarete had a great time.

True. I never stay at Kite Beach, but the break isn't stopping you there.

Would Buen Hombre be worse than Kite beach? :wink: I never been to Buen Hombre, but it looks nice to me.

And I personally really like Cabarete as well, but Kite Beach isn't a super exciting place in my opinion.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:05 pm

I have never been to Buen Hombre but I know from reliable reports that the wind is consistently 4 or 5 knots stronger. However, it has shallow water - so good for a TT but not for a SB or foil. It's a very isolated spot with very limited accommodation, restaurants/shopping/night life etc.

Wind is a very fickle thing, so experiences vary, but I have been going to Cabarete since 1987 & have probably been at least 15 or 16 times. In the winter it's not a super windy spot, compared to some other places. But 15 - 20 knots is great with a SB if you have decent waves & even 14 knots is really nice on a foil, so strong wind becomes less of a concern. Last winter I went to Santa Veronica, Colombia. Very windy - possibly the most consistently windy spot in the Caribbean. It also, at times, has a beautiful wave for kitesurfing. However, it isn't as appealing in other ways.

Coming from Norway, the RD is a long plane ride, so there are other options that may be better. Coming from NA, especially the east coast, the RD is a short plane ride with no real time zone difference, so it's a cheap & easy place to get to, unlike Brazil or S. Africa.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:24 pm

I got to know a Swedish couple one time I was there. They went to Buen Hombre for a day or two and loved it (they really didn't like Cabarete much funnily enough).

And absolutely true with the wind. I have been to South Africa and had long stretches without wind as well. Only place I have experienced good wind every single day is in the Jericoacoara-area. Philippines probably the second best in terms of reliable wind.

For the OP I wouldn't expect to get much wind, but clearly you can get a solid stretch in Cabarete if you are a bit lucky.

TimG
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 170
Local Beach: Houston
Style: Big Air
Gear: Rebel, monarch

Postby TimG » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:28 pm

Okay what does everyone think of Cape Hatteras for the last week of April? The wind stats look similar in cape Hatteras to the Dominican around that time.

TimG
Rare Poster

Postby TimG » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:27 pm

Havre wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:13 pm
Pana wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:49 pm
Was in Cab mid april to mid may 2 years ago, essentially kited every day with 9m. (I am 90kg). I was told it was an exceptional spring. My understanding is that you can have wind holes for several days. This said i was planning to return for the same period but must wait for vaccine.

This site has good previsions and also history by period, make up your opinion.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... QAEhGOew2x

Enjoy the maried life and hopefully get her kitting, it is a blessing. I know !

Cheers !
That is crazy - in a good way.

I have spent several months in Cabarete over the years, but only once have I used a kite smaller than 12 during winter/spring. Would absolutely love to experience Cabarete with a 9.
Thanks for that website! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:39 pm

TimG wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:28 pm
Okay what does everyone think of Cape Hatteras for the last week of April? The wind stats look similar in cape Hatteras to the Dominican around that time.
I have also been going to Hatteras (every year since 1985). It's a radically different environment from Cabarete in every way. Not a place I would choose for a non-kiting girlfriend ... although my wife does like going there in the spring. Nice accommodation there is more large houses oriented towards big groups. The wind is frontal & so not consistent at all. You could have no wind at all for a few days ... & then too much wind for a couple of days. Certainly April is generally a good month with its fair share of warm SW winds. I like Hatteras - but the scene there is more miles of windswept beach with "redneck fishing" (no offense intended) & grits & hushpuppies. Unquestionably, I would choose Cabarete over Hatteras for a romantic getaway in April, as there are many nice restaurants, the water is Caribbean warm & blue & there's lots of local colour.

TimG
Rare Poster

Postby TimG » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:27 am

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:39 pm
TimG wrote:
I have also been going to Hatteras (every year since 1985). It's a radically different environment from Cabarete in every way. Not a place I would choose for a non-kiting girlfriend ... although my wife does like going there in the spring. Nice accommodation there is more large houses oriented towards big groups. The wind is frontal & so not consistent at all. You could have no wind at all for a few days ... & then too much wind for a couple of days. Certainly April is generally a good month with its fair share of warm SW winds. I like Hatteras - but the scene there is more miles of windswept beach with "redneck fishing" (no offense intended) & grits & hushpuppies. Unquestionably, I would choose Cabarete over Hatteras for a romantic getaway in April, as there are many nice restaurants, the water is Caribbean warm & blue & there's lots of local colour.
Haha thanks again for that info! I totally agree with you from a romantic side. She does kite however! She just doesn’t want to do only kiting. She also loves North Carolina and has always wanted to visit. So she said she would be okay with going there or the Dominican!

With that being said, assuming both Cape Hatteras and Cabarete are equal with non-wind activities, where would you prefer to go when it comes to a higher chance of good wind?

Thanks again for all of your help! Super useful information

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:47 am

TimG wrote:
Have been to Hatteras probably 20 times in that period, going to Cab is a no brainer with regards to having a more relaxed experience, wind or not. Cab will have nice weather, Hatteras will have anything and everything from very direction. If i would ask my wife....she would reply ;why would you ask such a question ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”