Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cape Town Great Whites

Postby Exal » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:17 pm

wrogu wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 am
There are sharks in CPT, but they are not frequent in the colder waters area. What might look like a shark is a sunfish, which is found in the kiting zone much more often.
I almost shat my pants when I saw the sunfish for the first time

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:09 pm

The funniest thing is when some tourist comes roaring into shore, drops their kite and exclaims to everyone that there is a large shark out there, they just saw its fin on the surface! We just calm them down and explain about sunfish. I've only seen one shark along Table Bay in a decade of kiting there for 1-3 months each year. Last time I was in Cape Town, early 2020, when we did the tourist drives around False Bay the paid shark spotters said they have not seen a great white in months.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:32 pm

I went along Chapmans Peak Drive and on looking back at the moorings in Hout Bay, there was a "sun fish" cruising along, longer than any of the yachts :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”