SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone Click Bar Official Unofficial Thread

Postby SolarSet » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:37 pm

What about people who are using Duotone bar and use extensions from 18m to 24m lines? For each extension to bar lines we should change length of front or rear lines

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:52 pm

evan wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:23 pm
On a kite with 6m separation between the front line pigtails on the bridle the front lines will get 78mm shorter on a 6m high split vs low V.

Smaller kite and longer lines reduce this effect significantly. Needed to guess the separation distance, but i doubt even big modern kites bridled kites exceed 6m but i would love to have some actual measurements! (only have race kites here....)
This makes more sense also from a math's perspective. But isn't that accounted for by the brands? Some brands have high splits others low split, as longs as you match these there is no need to adjust the back or frontlines.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:43 am

evan wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:23 pm
On a kite with 6m separation between the front line pigtails on the bridle the front lines will get 78mm shorter on a 6m high split vs low V.

Smaller kite and longer lines reduce this effect significantly. Needed to guess the separation distance, but i doubt even big modern kites bridled kites exceed 6m but i would love to have some actual measurements! (only have race kites here....)

Nice geometrical images however Duotone compensates for this by tweaking the bridles and the attachments to the bridles. If you fully trim in and sheet in the bar, all four Duotone lines at the bar should be even which is normal for a low V split. The effect of the V splitter changing the length of bar line lengths is handled by the end length of the bridle attachment points

So no change necessary when using the Click bar for other non Duotone kites if you take off the V splitter and go low V mode

Trickier if you use another high V split kite like a Torch or even a mid V like a Core

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pierrot » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Continuing on the Low V questions :idea:
I have been riding my click bars on low-V (ie. removing the line distributor) for about 18 months on Duotone Neo and OR Roam kites. I barely noticed the difference.
Works pretty well. Maybe you feel a bit more power... But I wonder if having the "V split" happen right at the exit of the PU depower tube isn't going to create some wear on the flag line over time...

Now I'm in the process of changing my lines (thanks https://kiteboardinglines.com/) and was wondering if it was an option to use the 5th line metal ring that is at the to of the PU depower tube to run the "flag line" through it and have an "ultra low-V split" and have the metal ring act as the line distributor a few cm above the PU depower line, which would avoid the wear of the "flag line" on the edge of the depower tube.
It should not prevent the flagging function or make any material change to thte length of the flag line. So security should be all good.
But I was wondering if it could change the behaving of the auto-untwist feature... it should not either...

this is the ring I'm talking about, and the idea would be to have the red line go throught he ring.

Happy to have some advice.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:12 am

So also using the clickbar but recently changed gear which most likely requires the low V instead of high Y for Duotone. I discovered on the beach that I could not lower my distributor all the way down due to the stopperball. Now reading this topic again people suggest to remove the stopper and let split at the point where it exits the PU. There are also some concerns on wear etc.

Would it make sense to use the Harlem Distributor (linesplitter see below) and put it very low? This way the stopper ball still works and you avoid the wear

Btw anyone who can help me understand the real difference between high Y and low V? How does it really affect the kite? Thanks for the help

aniva
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Southern Ontario, Canada
Style: Beginner, freeride foil
Gear: Sabfoil W799/S400/F663/M93KMS
RDB trigger board 120cm
Cabrinha Contra 1S 5, 7, 9 and 11m
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:06 am

New Duotone click-bar, using with non-duotone kites (V-distributor removed), when bar was new roto-head was easy to spin but after few session it spins but not as easy as when new, I do not see any dirt or anything stuck and de-power line moves freely (video below). Did not find any manual how to clean or check roto-head (also searched this thread). Question to forum, is it supposed to be like this, any links or reference on how to clean roto-head to restore rotation to "as new"?

https://youtu.be/hqxw8jyrFzI

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 am

aniva wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:06 am
New Duotone click-bar, using with non-duotone kites (V-distributor removed), when bar was new roto-head was easy to spin but after few session it spins but not as easy as when new, I do not see any dirt or anything stuck and de-power line moves freely (video below). Did not find any manual how to clean or check roto-head (also searched this thread). Question to forum, is it supposed to be like this, any links or reference on how to clean roto-head to restore rotation to "as new"?

https://youtu.be/hqxw8jyrFzI
Thats weird, that shouldn't be necessary at all. I kite with my 3rd Clickbar for over 4 years now and it has never turned any stiffer or smoother than when it was new.

aniva
Medium Poster
RDB trigger board 120cm
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:13 pm

Does it / did it rotate freely or you need to apply some, albeit small effort to rotate? When my bar was “out of the box” I could spin it and it would spin for 1-2 rotations but right now it does not spin at all it became stiff and it is only after five sessions, it just like my old bar which did not have any fancy ceramic ball bearings

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:58 pm

aniva wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:13 pm
Does it / did it rotate freely or you need to apply some, albeit small effort to rotate? When my bar was “out of the box” I could spin it and it would spin for 1-2 rotations but right now it does not spin at all it became stiff and it is only after five sessions, it just like my old bar which did not have any fancy ceramic ball bearings
There are two bearings. The ceramic one and one above.

The second one is the most likely culprit. You can remove the upper screw and clean out any sand or other stuff that might have jammed it, I also find that a shot of lubricant will help. Usually though that is after several months.

F488533F-59C4-4CC7-92A4-1D1EB097016D.jpeg
F488533F-59C4-4CC7-92A4-1D1EB097016D.jpeg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 2126 times

aniva
Medium Poster
RDB trigger board 120cm
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi, thanks for reply and pic, I have opened it and it’s virgin clean, and lubricant idea has crossed my mind, what is safe lubricant to use (to make sure plastic and rope will not be damaged by it)?

Return to “Kitesurfing”