Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 11m faster kite vs 12m better low end

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm

i had 6/8/10/12 as well as 7/9/12 and now 8/11. now i would say 7/9/12 is ideal but it's also a lot of gear if you use it alone (vs sharing with partner is different story). if you want to reduce costs or you can/have already a foil the 8/11 is a nice combo. from my experience the limitation is mainly on the low end as heavy 5 strutters like xr6 or rebel will struggle to stay up in the sky in low winds. on the high end if you have a kite with great depower and a smaller TT you can ride an 8m in very very high winds - just ask ruben lenten ;) for most parts of the world low wind days are more likely than high wind days which is what i would focus on and rather extend my quiver's low end with a foil and/or foil kite.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:35 pm
My friend has 9, 7, 6 and thinks it perfect. As the sizes get small, the gaps can too.
Percentage wise, gaps should be the main consideration. This is for "park and ride" kiters.

But if you are extremely effecient and at the same time can work the kite well, you can have the same numerical gap in the smaller sizes (where justified by high wind speed).

yyusufoglu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 70
Local Beach: De Slufter / Zandmotor / Rockanje
Favorite Beaches: Bloubergstrand, Capetown
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR7 7-9-11/ Sensor 3 Pro Bar/ Core Fusion 5 135 x 40 / Mystic Warrior Harness

Postby yyusufoglu » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:06 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:42 pm
I have the same dilemma. Currently have 11/9. It works pretty well since the wind is rarely too much for the 9. I'm considering 11/8 as well but a bit worried that the low end of the 8 will be too low so I will be "stuck" on the 11m more often. Even if the 11/9 overlap a bit it still means I can get on a smaller kite sooner and more often. I won't need anything smaller than a 7 so 11/8/6 makes no sense to me. So to me it's either 11/9/7 or 11/8. Tricky decision
Thanks for your reply Kitedicted. If the wind is not too much for a 9m and cost is not a consideration, maybe best to add a 7 to your quiver? Not sure where you are based but here in NL, with my weight (around 70 kgs) i do have to use my 7m few times a year. I do have to admit that these are usually not the most enjoyable sessions for me. The wind is often too gusty when its blowing over 30 knots, sea is too choppy and bit chaotic overall :-? It could also be that my current 7m (airush union from 2016) is a bit chaotic and doesnt do a great job absorbing the gusts. I'm sure riding a better spec kite in those conditions would be a lot more enjoyable!

yyusufoglu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 70
Local Beach: De Slufter / Zandmotor / Rockanje
Favorite Beaches: Bloubergstrand, Capetown
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR7 7-9-11/ Sensor 3 Pro Bar/ Core Fusion 5 135 x 40 / Mystic Warrior Harness

Postby yyusufoglu » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:20 pm

GetHighOrDieTrying wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm
i had 6/8/10/12 as well as 7/9/12 and now 8/11. now i would say 7/9/12 is ideal but it's also a lot of gear if you use it alone (vs sharing with partner is different story). if you want to reduce costs or you can/have already a foil the 8/11 is a nice combo. from my experience the limitation is mainly on the low end as heavy 5 strutters like xr6 or rebel will struggle to stay up in the sky in low winds. on the high end if you have a kite with great depower and a smaller TT you can ride an 8m in very very high winds - just ask ruben lenten ;) for most parts of the world low wind days are more likely than high wind days which is what i would focus on and rather extend my quiver's low end with a foil and/or foil kite.
Thanks for your reply! Well only if I had Ruben Lenten's skill :lol: I am not too concerned with the lower end tbh, I would go for a session if its 15 knots+. So an 11m (or even my present 10m) covers me ok for low wind days. I do want to try foiling in the future though!

When would you switch to your 8m? and when would it get too overpowered for you? If I can hold down the 8m until 35 knots, 8/11 combi could work fine actually.
I never sailed with a 8m but keep reading that it is the perfect kite size combining the lift of a 9m with the agility of a 7m.

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:47 pm

yyusufoglu wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:20 pm
GetHighOrDieTrying wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm
Thanks for your reply! Well only if I had Ruben Lenten's skill :lol: I am not too concerned with the lower end tbh, I would go for a session if its 15 knots+. So an 11m (or even my present 10m) covers me ok for low wind days. I do want to try foiling in the future though!

When would you switch to your 8m? and when would it get too overpowered for you? If I can hold down the 8m until 35 knots, 8/11 combi could work fine actually.
I never sailed with a 8m but keep reading that it is the perfect kite size combining the lift of a 9m with the agility of a 7m.
if wind is consistently above ~28kts i will go with the 8m and can stay to around 40kts. I'm currently 80kg though and ride ozone edges which have amazing depower. really depends on kite and board as well as other factors warm/cold wind etc. i love the 8m as it gives me more lofty landings than my 7m and still super fast - maybe I got a bit softer the last couple of years also :D

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:46 pm

It is important that kites overlap a bit. I find that overlaps are just right when the top end for one kite is the 'sweet spot' of the next size kite down.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
1234567Simon (Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”