Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which all around/ freeride kite has the best hang time?

Forum for kitesurfers
lizards
Medium Poster
Local Beach: EDGARTOWN
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Which all around/ freeride kite has the best hang time?

Postby lizards » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:00 am

Hopefully this question isn’t too subjective. Every brand has an “all around” kite, which one is the best for jumping? Switchblade, evo, pivot, rs, nexus, enduro? Most of these are 3 strut kites except the switchblade. All the other brands except cabrinha and naish have other more dedicated big air kites so I’m thinking it might be between the pivot or switchblade.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: Which all around/ freeride kite has the best hang time?

Postby TheJoe » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:28 am

My guess would be the Switchblade but not sure. It would be which ever one is the highest aspect kite. I don't know but maybe you can filter out the kites and compare on the Woo leader boards. They added a kite filter for tracking. I personally have not really looked at it other than accidentally filtering my kites out and seeing where I landed on the boards for them.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:32 am

lizards,
All of the all around kites I've ridden have good workable hang-time. Of course they don't compare to the high aspect bow style kites, but they are probably second best to the dedicated hang-time kites.

All the kites you mention above have decent hang-time and will work for you in that arena.

One thing to remember (as you state that Cabrinha doesn't have a dedicated big air kite anymore - and you are correct) is that this year (2021) is the first year in many many years that Cab has decided to drop their high aspect bow kite class. Remember back to the Crossbow, Velocity, Apollo, and my personal favorite the AV8. The AV8 had the best hang-time of any kite I've ever flown - albeit came at the cost of ridiculous bar pressure.

I guess the real question is why are you asking about all around kites and hang-time? What are you really after?

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 am

Demo demo demo. Or listen to everyone that loves the eleveight RS (I'd take Evo as a close 2nd). 😄

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:11 am

Lizards, Core XR and Duotone Rebel are freeride oriented kites and also have very high aspect, these are the one you are looking for for Hang Time.

Vinda
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: Rest Bay & Aberavon Wales, UK
Favorite Beaches: Broughton Bay, Wales
Style: Useless Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit and Bandit S Kites.
North Orbit and Reach Kites
Naish Monarch TT
North Chase Surfboard
North Sonar Foil
Nobile Skim

Postby Vinda » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:56 pm

Which dedicated Hangtime Kite is good for Freeride?

So far I've been on a 7m & 9m North Orbit 2021 and they have been pretty sweet. Drifted on the wave better than I expected as well

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 pm

Vinda wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:56 pm
Which dedicated Hangtime Kite is good for Freeride?
Hey Vinda,
That's an easier question to answer. The Core XR is under-rated in its all around freeride capabilities. Not great for unhooking, waves, or foil, but it can still pull it off.

lizards
Medium Poster
Local Beach: EDGARTOWN
Gear: none

Postby lizards » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:08 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:11 am
Lizards, Core XR and Duotone Rebel are freeride oriented kites and also have very high aspect, these are the one you are looking for for Hang Time.

Thanks but I’m trying to compare all around kites, not performance free ride kites. It would be useful to to be able to lay all these kites on the ground to see which has the highest aspect ratio. The switchblade is pretty high AR but also has pretty squared off wingtips. The Evo has pointier wingtips with gives it the appearance of having a high AR. Those are the only 2 kites on the list that I’ve flown.
Enduro and nexus have very boxy wingtips so I assume they are more surf/freestyle oriented.

In my first post I forgot to add the reach which is definitely lower aspect ratio than the switchblade or evo but people say it has great hangtime. Is this actually true? I’m wondering if there are any factors other than AR that play into a kites jumping abilities.

When I replace my switchblades I’m thinking of going with a faster 3 strut all around but not if it means sacrificing any jumping ability/ hangtime.

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:13 pm

lizards wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:00 am
Every brand has an “all around” kite, which one is the best for jumping? Switchblade, evo, pivot, rs, nexus, enduro? Most of these are 3 strut kites except the switchblade. All the other brands except cabrinha and naish have other more dedicated big air kites so I’m thinking it might be between the pivot or switchblade.
I think the Moto is considered Cabrinha' s most all around kite at this point - which has 3 struts. And the Switchblade is marketed as a performance freeride / big air (but also considered an all around kite).
Last edited by Tony in FL on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:05 pm

A tester mate, was not impressed with Motos - for me, the Reach felt a bit woolly, but has reasonable/good hangtime, the Reedin (v1) felt sharper than the Reach, with similar/slightly better hangtime, XRs are XRs - in that they boost but not much else, Pivots are still a very nice boosting freeride design (not feeling as sharp as a Reedin - but for me, more boost)... but the Orbit2 is the game changer - 3 strut feel with 5 strut performance - boosts better than an edge when properly powered, but very user friendly landings and a great allround freeride kite
These users thanked the author Robsw6 for the post:
Archer77 (Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”