Forum for kitesurfers
McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Aluula Flite's Dangerous Flight

Postby McLovin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:21 am

Please consider this a PSA for any new OR Aluula kite owners...it's a bit embarrassing but, spoiler alert - it ends magically well.

Not an expert but approaching 200 days I generally take a cautious and calculated approach and have a good time on the water. That said, in the winter or shoulder seasons it's common to self launch - lots of great ways to do this, but a common one is the tether launch for its simplicity and safety. I have lived thru the rare mis-fire tethering, but in those atypical and rare events have always been able to quickly regain control and proceed (one exception was a faulty tether that led to a full Mary-Poppins kite ascension into the sky) that is simply to say it's been done many times over and enough to even have a few screw ups to now avoid thru muscle memory.

So in light winds at my normal spot - had the stomach dropping, OMG, this can't be happening reality as the kite which is ridiculously light caught a gust just so for the FLITE to take unauthorized flight as I was quickly getting to the bar, in my defense there was a totally unexpected naked man running right toward me - the kite spot just happens to double as a nude beach, so the jury is out on weather I grabbed the bar incorrectly, or if the lines were impaired by the bush which was the tether anchor but suffice it to say the 2nd day ever this crispy kite saw sunlight was a full SHART fest as the kite lurched over the top toward a full forest of not unsharp bushes. About 2 seconds later before I could get the "oh F*ck" verbally past my lips my pricey new toy was stranded about 7-9 feet up and about 20m deep...don't think I've ever moved with more speed or intention as I leapt over three non-clothed sunbathers (not skinny - yuck) to get to the kite and deflate it while seeing DOOM. As I heard the air rush out of the valve the kite was kinda suspended across a few bushes with the lines creating tension but no obvious rips or tears, I am holding my breath. Had to simultaneously step on the branches to break or bend down the many kite spearing limbs while reaching beyond my full height to gather the lines having to pull carefully get to the pigtails and release the tension and manage to gather the kite away from the angry bushes and their spikey branches. Two more lines free, still no obvious damage and I start to have some hope and wonder feeding the free half the kite over the V in the bush to settle the kite onto a small patch of soft sand. One last line was way up high and took everything to reach while not wanting to put ANY pressure on the kite fabric in harms way...just was able to get it standing on a heavy stump nearby, 15 seconds later I am freeing up the other end of the FLITE from the branches and finally able to settle the kite onto the sand. By some total miracle of the sweet baby Jesus, that Aluula leading edge held up 100% and the rip stop was certainly unhappy but after a FULL sunlight check and pump that kite came out unscathed. It's a total miracle of GOOD KITE KARMA IMHO.

Fast forward 15 mins - safety check, complete - kite re-pumped - lines recovered (not easy from bushes) and reset at waters edge. Drag launch - had a wild reversal of fortune and the kite Gods sent me a warning which I will heed before giving me a truly blissful light wind session on my new toy - Kite was absolutely amazing in 13-19mph shared a full expression session with just one foiler and a couple eagles.

The Lesson:

Aluula is crazy light - be mindful

Aluula Launch Plan Hierarchy:

1. Buddy is Best :thumb:
2. Drift or Drag
3. Tether but if you do use some sand on the wingtip - these kites really like to fly - like the balloons kids get at the fair

Hope this saves someone from those few minutes white hot fear and mental gymnastics.

GREAT JOB Ocean Rodeo - you guys made one hell of a kite, let's just say it's been christened and NOT in ANY hurry to repeat that little mishap.

Stoke Level 9000 +

Mc

:dance:

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula Flite's Dangerous Flight...

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:54 am

I don't tether launch much (hardly at all as my local doesn't work well with it) but I was under the impression that it was normal to keep a hand near/along the front line as you walked back to the bar. I understood the reason was that the force on the front line stopped it bouncing as much as it provided some turning inertia towards the ground. Might also help in this case?

Good story though, glad it worked out alright :lol:
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
McLovin (Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Aluula Flite's Dangerous Flight

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 am

Good to hear it all worked out well.

But, isn’t this was Aluula stands for, highest restaurants towards rips an tears?

And I suggest you get those Ankers you drill into the sand...and hook up the CL to a hook attached.

I always self launch and tie a hook onto some wood, works fine and you self check your lines while you put the kite in place.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:24 pm

Well, if you were on a nude beach with a buncha guys running around, at least you didn't grab/yank the wrong bar altogether.
These users thanked the author matthepp for the post:
McLovin (Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:16 pm)

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:27 pm

Tether launching isn't an automatic in a lot of places. Any wind shadow, swirling or gusty wind and it's not a good option. I learned this the hard way last summer...

Thankfully my kite survived the stupidity too.
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Dude, I wasn’t running right toward you. I was just coming over to offer a launch!
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
McLovin (Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:26 pm)

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:27 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:24 pm
Dude, I wasn’t running right toward you. I was just coming over to offer a launch!
LOL - thanks for your offer...

Mc

:dance:

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:04 am

Yepp those kites are light and can surprise you. I have both a flite and a roam and both took off in wind gusts while self lauching in knee deep water. I almost always self launch so it is not inexperience. And never leave them on the beach without being weighed down. You are forwarned, they are tricky to self launch.
These users thanked the author Pana for the post:
McLovin (Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:47 am)

Gilberto
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Portland, OR Hood River, OR
Gear: Strapless noob

Postby Gilberto » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:20 am

I found it equally tricky self-landing my 12m Aluula Roam using the upper center line technique. I'm not super experienced with this, so grain of salt, please. It wasn't super windy so I gave it a shot as there wasn't anyone around to land my kite. I anticipated this going wrong in advance and committed to punching out asap if it didn't look good. It absolutely would not sit down on the leading edge. These kites want to fly. The kite went down for a second and was back up and moving into the power zone fast :o, but I ejected safely with no issue.

My wife and I now have 8, 10 and 12m Roams. I sold most of our other kites this spring except for the 5 and 6m storm kites. I'm obviously a fan. I ride a surfboard - no foiling yet. When I get tired and head in, I ride straight downwind at the kite. Crazy drift. My favorite part, besides how fast they turn, is the light bar pressure. I used to get kiter's elbow mid summer, but the Aluula Roam has solved that issue. Granted, better fitness might have been a less expensive way to achieve the same result.

I haven't tried the Aluula Flights so can't provide any input on the difference b/t the two models.
These users thanked the author Gilberto for the post (total 2):
McLovin (Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 am) • Gestalt (Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:20 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

8712kiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: None!!
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Lajas, Shark bay
Gear: Whip 5.2

Postby 8712kiter » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:35 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 am
Good to hear it all worked out well.

But, isn’t this was Aluula stands for, highest restaurants towards rips an tears?

And I suggest you get those Ankers you drill into the sand...and hook up the CL to a hook attached.

I always self launch and tie a hook onto some wood, works fine and you self check your lines while you put the kite in place.
I was always wondering what folks do with these anchors once they go on the water. Do they leave them drilled in and allow others to "borrow" them?

Return to “Kitesurfing”