Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which all around/ freeride kite has the best hang time?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which all around/ freeride kite has the best hang time?

Postby Kitedicted » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:06 pm

TheRussian wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:05 pm
A tester mate, was not impressed with Motos - for me, the Reach felt a bit woolly, but has reasonable/good hangtime, the Reedin (v1) felt sharper than the Reach, with similar/slightly better hangtime, XRs are XRs - in that they boost but not much else, Pivots are still a very nice boosting freeride design (not feeling as sharp as a Reedin - but for me, more boost)... but the Orbit2 is the game changer - 3 strut feel with 5 strut performance - boosts better than an edge when properly powered, but very user friendly landings and a great allround freeride kite
Do you think orbit2 works for waves and foil too?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:13 pm

Lizards, you didn’t mention what size kite you’re looking for, so...

I would say to consider the Ocean Rodeo Flites (whether Aluula or Dacron (although soon, Dacron is gone and will only be Aluula or the Hybrid Line available)). The Flites have very good hang time and even the Dacron version tends to be more responsive than the others you’ve mentioned. The Aluula ones are the snappiest ones I’ve ever flown, responding more like a kite size down (12 like a 9, 14.5 like a 12, etc...). However, they don’t make them smaller than 12, so depending on what size you were looking for, that may not help. As someone else already mentioned, the Crave is an absolute rocket ship for jumping, but with a little less hang time than the Flite. I have not YET gotten my hands on the HL version of it, but I suspect that the hang time should be very similar b/c of the kite design. You can get more hang time from looping the kite, but that requires being more active with the kite. Good luck on your hunt! :thumb:
These users thanked the author SENDIT! for the post:
Gestalt (Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:26 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:06 pm
No. They're rubbish, unless you specifically want to take advantage of the stally qualities. The Orbit is a purpose looping machine. There's no point to buying one otherwise.

If the main thing you're doing is freeride TT, then look at the Evo, Pivot
If you're more into foiling/waves, then look at the Reach, Nexus
Something in between is probably the Supermodel or Enduro.

I doubt you'll regret your choice of any of them.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:56 pm

[quote=Kitedicted post_id=1135705 time=1618592773

[/quote]

The Orbit2 can be used in waves - ok for backside & it drifts a bit, but not what I would describe as “working” - any kite can be used on a foil- I used to use Edges, so again not ideal, but usable.

As for the Orbit2 just being for looping, sounds like comments from someone who doesn’t own any?!

Ps Vinda...... is that the Vinda, as in pizza, Vic & GF ?!!!

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Dear, By far the hang time changed when I switched to soul. I almost doubled my hanging time. a 10m up to 28kn and a 7m up to 35kn.
But clearly they are going to say, only LEI, so my best experiences were with the enduro and ocean rodeo razor
Greetings

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:25 am

TheRussian wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:56 pm

As for the Orbit2 just being for looping, sounds like comments from someone who doesn’t own any?!
I own 3 and probably buying a 4th.

:)

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 am

TheRussian wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:05 pm
A tester mate, was not impressed with Motos - for me, the Reach felt a bit woolly, but has reasonable/good hangtime, the Reedin (v1) felt sharper than the Reach, with similar/slightly better hangtime, XRs are XRs - in that they boost but not much else, Pivots are still a very nice boosting freeride design (not feeling as sharp as a Reedin - but for me, more boost)... but the Orbit2 is the game changer - 3 strut feel with 5 strut performance - boosts better than an edge when properly powered, but very user friendly landings and a great allround freeride kite
The Russian how do you value the Ozone Edges among the others here? shouldn't be a benchmark as many recongnize?

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:14 pm

Ozone Edges are higher aspect than any other freeride kite so they deliver max air time in LEI space. I can compare them directly to XR, Rebel, Evo and the Edge delivers undeniably the longest airtime. They can get you also to incredible height and smaller sizes <10m loop very well despite high AR.

second i would rate Rebel but it's also quite a specific kite. XR feels to me always more similar to Evo than to Rebel. Evo is a nice all-rounder and larger sizes >12m provide also a nice hangtime.

Outside of LEIs most foil kites, i.e. Chronos/Sonics, will provide even longer airtime due to higher AR.
These users thanked the author GetHighOrDieTrying for the post:
Archer77 (Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”