Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Harness hook broke during kiteloop

Postby metrox » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:01 pm

Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:01 pm
gibsonandpickett wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:45 am
Unfortunetly everything in kite boarding has a finite life. I change my lines every year on my ozone bar, And now changing
my flag out line every year after having it snap where it is knotted at the top of the PU line. Thankfuly it snapped as i was going up and snapped at 3 meters up. Hooks are no different especially if your regularly doing kite loops/mega loops. Im sure crack testing would most likely pick this up.
Metal fatigue is the technical term you're looking for. It's different than rope wear, plastic or fabric. If designed with appropriate materials and safety factor there's no way that these things should be blowing up in a year. They're either trying to save weight, money on materials, or quality and skimping on safety factor. Probably they're designing them to last as long as the webbing that supports the spreader bars. Would have to ask the tech support guys. I'd like a bulletproof spreader bar personally- webbing that is dying is easy to spot. Metal fatigue can be tricky, which is why NDT techs get paid boatloads of money.

Note on metal fatigue: when you stress metal beyond a certain point, fatigue cracks (microscopic) start to form and over time get larger until the material fails. If you never reach this level of stress due to appropriate design/strength, no fatigue cracks, metal doesn't fail . Which is why people still drive cars from 100 yrs ago and people still shoot guns in use since 1911. A properly designed and maintained (no corrosion) spreader bar should be able to outlive you.
Completely agree here ... With proper material strength fatigue not an issue :thumb:

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 am

Good topic. I’ve broken two hooks, both on older DaKine harnesses, and when I checked my waist harness there is a spot of rust, barely visible, on one of the welds. But I only use a waist harness for foiling, so no problem.
D8594D2C-3724-4714-A81D-B5C26D6F1587.jpeg
Checked my daughter’s Ion seat harness and you can’t even easily check it, but she rides so seldom and gently, not worried about it.
BD8ABCF4-D975-4D6A-8E91-D300AE9BDB5C.jpeg
When I bought my new Mystic seat harness last year I made sure I could see the welds easily and they look really good to me.
056BA68C-7F39-4D0D-A73C-38154336067B.jpeg
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
metrox (Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:33 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:20 am

Mse thanks for designing and developing the dynabar I have had many years of trouble free use from mine.

For budding NDT techs you could look into dye penetrant tests as it is relatively cheap. Basically spray on a good wetting dye on and wipe off. Dye penetrates crack. Talc area and dye leeches out revealing cracks.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Mse wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm
Hi, I designed the dynabar some years ago avoiding welded parts. If the hook is made of aluminium then it's explained why it brakes. If stainless steel, the heat needed to weld the hook modifies the metal structure making it easy to break.
To avoid this issue I used nuts to fix the hook, i suggest Mystic to do the same. However, i'm surprised this known problem is still there after 20 years the kitesurfig was born.
Thank you! :remybussi: The problem with the Dynabar is that even I can't destroy it...!

I am in need of a new spreader bar pad though...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:43 pm

I've had three of the old Dakine Hammerhead spreader bars snap on me -- one completely, and two broke just one side so I made it back to shore. I think the last one was 2012...?

Always carried a spare, but haven't needed one since. Harnesses wear out before the spreader bar does.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:52 pm

gibsonandpickett wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:45 am
And now changing my flag out line every year after having it snap where it is knotted at the top of the PU line. Thankfully it snapped as i was going up and snapped at 3 meters up.
I'm "glad" I'm not the only one that happens to. Times mine snapped it was less than 6 months old :( I'd changed my "jumping" bar to mini-5th now...

metrox
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 66
Style: Freestyle, Bigair

Postby metrox » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:30 am

And here I am back again ... Stiffened hook broke again after 1.5 years ... Well, I am 65kg guy ... 100kg guys should be more aware 100% (if boosting and looping especially).
So conclusion - stiffening plate just a quick solution only.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:33 pm

Me thinks you might not be the average 65kg guy. Looks like a fatigue crack was developing in both of the cylindrical bars, smooth polished area. Then the bars broke and subsequently broke the plate at the weld. To me the stiffening plate is just making sure load is transferred more evenly to both bars rather than adding much strength in itself. Doubt if the alloy used has a fatigue limit, ie a load where even infinite number of cycles does not result in fatigue cracks. You need an NDT engineer or a regular hook change.

All above is just guess work from a photo of course!! Brings new meaning to unhooking. I regularly get through rope sliders but they are easy to inspect and cheap to change before breakage.

How often do you get through a chickenloop??

metrox
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 66
Style: Freestyle, Bigair

Postby metrox » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:41 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:33 pm
Me thinks you might not be the average 65kg guy.
Heh, what do you mean? :D
Herman wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:33 pm
How often do you get through a chickenloop??
Not understand what you ask about chickenloop?

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Has thanked: 0

Postby keegster17 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:41 pm

Not just Mystic, Ion as well, one of our local kiters had there Ion boardshorts hook break. This is pretty scary stuff, I understand stuff breaks, but this is concerning, especially out far on the water or in a large jump. I have had chicken loop disconnect many times, that is a bit of a scary site on its own.

Return to “Kitesurfing”