Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dominican Republic For Late April - Windy?

Forum for kitesurfers
TimG
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 170
Local Beach: Houston
Style: Big Air
Gear: Rebel, monarch
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dominican Republic For Late April - Windy?

Postby TimG » Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm

So I just got back from the Dominican trip.

It was well worth it. This week was a bit of a fluke with rain storms, so it wasn’t windy like the week before or this week, but it was still great. I had one 9m day at Cabarete, 1 9m day up north at paradise island (awesome spot with 30 knots of consistent wind), and 1 12m day. So I got 3/5 days of kiting in which isn’t bad.
As far as kiting itself goes, there are better spots with flat water, more wind, and more space elsewhere in the world. BUT, the kite community, Kite Club, and nature there made up for those downsides and it is now my favorite spot. Every day we would get to Kite Club at 12 PM and eat lunch and hang out with people we met there. Then the wind would pick up at 2 and we would all get out to ride until sunset. At that point, everyone would start drinking at the bar there and they have parties outside with a DJ Friday-Sunday at kite club.
It was pretty cool to just spend the day there hanging out with people and kiting. I hadn’t experienced that before. Many people were even working remote there. Most places I have kited it is usually not as social as it was there. I also liked how cheap it was as well. $10 is an expensive meal there.
The day trip up to paradise island was really epic as well. It was 30 knots of consistent wind with no gusts. I didn’t have my woo, but I did my highest boosts I’ve done there for sure. Kiting in the crystal blue water was really cool as well. It is definitely better wind up north, but there is only kiting there. Also, it is illegal to kite at paradise island so there’s a chance you may not be allowed to kite there depending on when you go.

I will definitely go back there. I’m between going there or hood river for the summer. I also think it would be cool to find a spot in the USA similar to cabarete and to open up a bar/resteraunt with a launch spot in front. It really creates a unique community.
These users thanked the author TimG for the post (total 2):
Havre (Mon May 03, 2021 8:28 pm) • Eduardo (Tue May 04, 2021 12:33 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”