Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

F-one Bandit 12 deforming when depowered in 40 knot winds

Postby andylc » Mon May 03, 2021 10:34 pm

Hi,
I think I’ve answered my own question here and I wouldn’t have used it if I’d had a smaller kite but I took my 7m Bandit 12 out in gusty 35+ knot winds today, meaning I was riding trimmed in. At one point the kite was verging on completely inverting as a squall hit and winds gusted over 40 knots. Luckily I managed to sit it on the water for a short time and it regained shape before I hastily returned to shore. It was well pumped up.
Just wondering if the latest versions are any better at avoiding deformation of the leading edge when depowered? In reality I think I could do with an 8 and a 6, or even a 5m storm kite for those odd days, but I’d consider replacing the 7 if the latest version is any improvement. I weigh 65kg btw.
Whilst I limped around, Tom, Guy and Ollie Bridge were going absolutely massive and showing us all how it is supposed to be done...

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Re: F-one Bandit 12 deforming when depowered in 40 knot winds

Postby kitexpert » Mon May 03, 2021 10:47 pm

How much do you weight? I'm too lazy to find out how many bridle attachment points Bandit 12 has but perhaps too few. Many kite brands nowadays have a 5 point bridle in their big air kites for more structural stability.

(BTW I remember first Bandit had two point bridle... LE was quite thick though, but it was a primitive design)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon May 03, 2021 10:57 pm

how you know to rig down to a 4m instead of 7m...

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth

Postby andylc » Tue May 04, 2021 7:28 am

Should have been on a smaller kite but yes - 2 point bridle attachment. I hate riding depowered anyway.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Tue May 04, 2021 8:23 am

Talking rubbish there are 4 bridle attachment points. Gonna take it out again today and see how it does in strong but not ridiculous winds. Think it was really a case of wrong kite for the conditions.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue May 04, 2021 10:21 am

As another south coast UK kiter I think it was probably wrong conditions for kitesurfing as much as anything :)

Strong gusty winds are where the 5 strut kites really come into there own as they can hold the shape better. My experience (of seeing people after the kite inversion) is that you need to be totally on it with the 3 strut kites. The problems seem to happen when you get thrown off balance by a piece of chop just as you hit the pressure difference between gusts. I'm a little further East than you but there were some sizable pressure differences between the gusts yesterday so you shouldn't be surprised it was tricky. I estimated well over 10knot differences between some of the gusts.

For my money (and I did this) I'd be looking a something 5 strut for my smallest kite. That said - how often do you get 35+knot days a year? I can justify a 7m to myself because it works on a foil or surfboard in normal wind strengths but a 6m and an 8m that you might only use twice a year is a committed purchase.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Tue May 04, 2021 1:55 pm

Yes I tend to agree. Used the 7 again today in appropriate conditions and it was perfect. I’m reluctant to get rid as it gets loads of use. Last time I bought a 5m kite I used it a total of zero times before selling it! I think 8 & 6 would work as well but significant outlay for that odd storm day that even if you get out is pretty sketchy anyway.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue May 04, 2021 1:55 pm

^+1 for nothingtoseehere. If you are a young fearless athlete you might go for a small big rocker board to hold more power but at 65kg I would have thought it worth getting a 5m as i would expect you to be powered from less than 30knts at your weight. Having said that it is only a guess, at 100kg I am on a 5 strut 6m OR rise in >30knts or a 6 strut 5.5m Stormchaser if it goes ballistic but I am looking for control rather than big air. Flying a depowered and deforming kite gets spooky and you need to be confident in strong wind blah blah....... Envious of being only 65kg, but even I can use a 6m in less than 30knts if not on a small power hungry board.

Maybe my opinion is too influenced by being on west tip of Wales where >30knts is fairly common.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Tue May 04, 2021 2:28 pm

I had mine XR6 11m deforming when it started to blast 40kts+ out of nowhere. I thought that kite is losing pressure but it didn't I had it fully depowered meaning steering lines where longer than front line and I think this cause kite arc to start lose shape,
3 or 5 strut if you have fully depower and extremely overpowered that can happen

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm

Keep your 7m. I love that size. As you said, it gets lots of use. Keep your eye out for the right deal on a 5m. If you get one do it knowing full well it is not going to get a lot of use, but for some individuals the getting out in small kite conditions makes it well worth it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”