Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite advancements over the last 10 years

Postby Topaz » Tue May 04, 2021 5:59 pm

kevink5516 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:56 pm
Topaz wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:08 pm
Smart guy! No need to spend a fortune in a set of kites for learning. Later on, if you get hooked on kiting you'll know better what you like and go from there.

How small is the board? Don't ditch it without trying it.
The fifth line will help to relaunch the kite in light wind.
Eventually, the fifth line may wrap around the LE if the kites drops and tumbles. If you drop the kite and see the fifth line wrapping the LE, better release and swim back to the shore. I rode Rebels and Torches with fifth lines for years and never happened to me. I don't know how likely is that to happen. I guess kind of unlikely, but just be aware.
The board is a 2010 Underground FLX 132x39. I'm 6"2 and 185lbs. I could probably ride it in lit conditions but imagine I'll struggle with it and staying upwind would be a challenge on a board this small as I get my bearings back with the sport. Back when I was kiting 12 years ago, and 20lbs lighter, I was riding a Litewave Stealth 137. I forget the exact width of it but think it may have been a 137x43. I was thinking something in the 138-143 range would be more appropriate for me as board now.
Yes, it's quite small. A bigger board will give you a better experience.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue May 04, 2021 11:56 pm

matth wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 pm
Maybe they just had it right ten years ago. Just like airplanes, they got it right 60 years ago and we basically still fly in the same planes...Including fighters.

I think the biggest advances have been in Control bars and much better pumps..

search in your fav engine: "code name astra"
..cutting edge is still cutting edge...and stale innovation is just stale innovation.
..no need to make excuses.

you can argue there hasnt been much advancement in kitesurfing since Bruno and his brother licensed out their kite designs...

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed May 05, 2021 11:21 am

elguapo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:56 pm
matth wrote:
Maybe they just had it right ten years ago. Just like airplanes, they got it right 60 years ago and we basically still fly in the same planes...Including fighters.

..cutting edge is still cutting edge...and stale innovation is just stale innovation.

you can argue there hasnt been much advancement in kitesurfing since Bruno and his brother licensed out their kite designs...
Flying saucer shape plane was tried in 1950's but it sucked. Could it be there is some problems with those triangular shaped airplanes? At least it seems they have not break through and triangular shape looks pretty inpractical :o Where do you put cargo and personnel in? In military use those bright lights are probably not very good idea :)

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed May 05, 2021 1:35 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:21 am
In military use those bright lights are probably not very good idea :)
No, no. Those lights are where the flying saucer was. Shoot at them all you want. The aliens are probably sneaking up right behind you right then.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed May 05, 2021 1:44 pm

kitexpert wrote:
elguapo wrote:
matth wrote:

Flying saucer shape plane was tried in 1950's but it sucked. Could it be there is some problems with those triangular shaped airplanes? At least it seems they have not break through and triangular shape looks pretty inpractical :o Where do you put cargo and personnel in? In military use those bright lights are probably not very good idea :)

My first kite was a 2012 Cabrhina Vector.....Great kite, 3 strut freeride which are very popular today.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Thu May 06, 2021 1:02 pm

kitexpert wrote:
elguapo wrote:
matth wrote:

flying saucerrs were not "aliens"... they were german technology that broke away. after WW2.
military base was in Antarctica .. eventually scientists made their way to USA and/or argentina
those ships flew over washington....for a reason.
google "operation paperclip"

there is a patent on the "triangle" shape owned by the US Navy/DEVGRU.. which can be easily confirmed.
this triangle ship is why "space force" broke off from the Navy.. it is huge..and it is impressive.
current US military is closer to the stuff you see in star trek...than planes from 70 years ago..
this "stuff"... is what trump hinted at during many of his rallies
it literally is unworldly...

or maybe i'm just making this all up...

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Thu May 06, 2021 3:35 pm