Gear: Trying to find a new set
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotune Evo vs Rebel

Postby yotamss » Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 am

Topaz wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm
yotamss wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 pm
Thanks! My instructor's school get those kites (not sure how they get the kites), and they give 1-year warranty for the second-hand kites - the price of an Evo 9 is about 1200$.
If without bar, that's the price of a last-year-brand-new kite. The warranty is a good thing, though. They'll probably repair your kite if it fails and it's not your fault?

If you're not too desperate to get your kite, then browse around the web to check prices. Real Kiteboarding has some nice sales now for new stuff.
Are you planning on getting one kite or two? You also have to decide the size or sizes you'll get, considering the wind at your local spot. Being lightweight, you'll do fine with one or two sizes smaller than average.
If you have plenty of mid and strong wind, maybe 10m and 7m could work for you. If it's more like light wind, maybe a 10m 14m combo.
If you have to make it a one kite quiver, something in the 10m-12m range could work.

But if you're done with your lessons and are really eager to jump on the water right away, Just get the Evo or Rebel that your instructor offered you and go with that. Those are good kites and you'll be able to sell them in the future once you have a better idea of what you want.
I am planning to buy one kite only (at least right now) in my place the wind is about 12 to 20 knots at the session.
I weight about 56 kg, do you think an evo 9 will be good for me?

Rob112
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hove
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Gear: Pivot
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:52 am

yotamss wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:34 pm
Topaz wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 pm
^^ + 1

Don't narrow your search to those two kites. Study the the different options, decide what type of kite and which model you like better, at least on the papers, try to test kites. Then set your budget and go for it, either used or new.
What do you recommend? how about Bandit? good for beginners?
Any all round kite would be good.

Naish Pivot
F-one Bandit
Evo (of the original 2 the best)
Cabrinha Switchblade
Airush Lithium
Ozone Enduro
North Reach

These kite will all work well post lessons and likely do be able to perform at a higher level in all areas than most kiters ever reach. If your buying an all round kite from a big brand within the last few years there are no bad kites.

I don't think it matters which you chose, the differences are too little to really matter at this level in my opinion. Get the combination of newest, best condition, one you like the colour of the most that's in your budget.
These users thanked the author Rob112 for the post (total 2):
Topaz (Sat May 01, 2021 12:22 pm) • yotamss (Sun May 02, 2021 3:02 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sat May 01, 2021 12:40 pm

yotamss wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 am
Topaz wrote:
yotamss wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 pm
Thanks! My instructor's school get those kites (not sure how they get the kites), and they give 1-year warranty for the second-hand kites - the price of an Evo 9 is about 1200$.
If without bar, that's the price of a last-year-brand-new kite. The warranty is a good thing, though. They'll probably repair your kite if it fails and it's not your fault?

If you're not too desperate to get your kite, then browse around the web to check prices. Real Kiteboarding has some nice sales now for new stuff.
Are you planning on getting one kite or two? You also have to decide the size or sizes you'll get, considering the wind at your local spot. Being lightweight, you'll do fine with one or two sizes smaller than average.
If you have plenty of mid and strong wind, maybe 10m and 7m could work for you. If it's more like light wind, maybe a 10m 14m combo.
If you have to make it a one kite quiver, something in the 10m-12m range could work.

But if you're done with your lessons and are really eager to jump on the water right away, Just get the Evo or Rebel that your instructor offered you and go with that. Those are good kites and you'll be able to sell them in the future once you have a better idea of what you want.
I am planning to buy one kite only (at least right now) in my place the wind is about 12 to 20 knots at the session.
12-20 kts is kind of a wide range for only one kite being a beginner on a twin tip. A 9m will serve you well on the high end of that range. Probably 16 or 17 up to 20 and probably a bit above 20 when you get better is my guess.
To kite in wind around 15kts, a 12-14m kite could be fine for you weight.
12kts is light wind. Even though you're light, to kite in 12kts you will need a big kite, around 17m and a big board, over 150cm. Light wind gear is expensive, and for many, not so much fun.

In that wind range, with only one kite, I'd personally go on a 12m. You could start using it around 15kts. As you get better, you'll be able to hold it with stronger winds. Later on you can combine it with a 9m, or you can sell the 12 and get a 10m-14m set.
And for light wind, you may can get a foil board and use it with your 12m kite.

Have you met people in your local spot yet? Ask them what kite they use the most, always with a twin tip. Foilers and srufers can go on smaller kites.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
yotamss (Sun May 02, 2021 3:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

WndRdr
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby WndRdr » Sat May 01, 2021 11:34 pm

Topaz wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:40 pm
yotamss wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 am
Topaz wrote:

12-20 kts is kind of a wide range for only one kite being a beginner on a twin tip. A 9m will serve you well on the high end of that range. Probably 16 or 17 up to 20 and probably a bit above 20 when you get better is my guess.
To kite in wind around 15kts, a 12-14m kite could be fine for you weight.
12kts is light wind. Even though you're light, to kite in 12kts you will need a big kite, around 17m and a big board, over 150cm. Light wind gear is expensive, and for many, not so much fun.

In that wind range, with only one kite, I'd personally go on a 12m. You could start using it around 15kts. As you get better, you'll be able to hold it with stronger winds. Later on you can combine it with a 9m, or you can sell the 12 and get a 10m-14m set.
And for light wind, you may can get a foil board and use it with your 12m kite.

Have you met people in your local spot yet? Ask them what kite they use the most, always with a twin tip. Foilers and srufers can go on smaller kites.
That is a bit pessimistic. I think you are thinking that the kite would be in optimal range and starting to boost nicely in jumps right away.

56kg would not need a 17m2. That size would have too small total range (especially high end would be terrible low) to really get the benefits of a big kite. 14-15 max.

I think it is better to define a bit more the kites range and what he can do in that wind. Assumption 1. to be able to ride nicely and learn more and not need to be able to boost high jumps in 12 knots. 2 using a good, ok planning board which is allround size for him.

I am more than 15kg heavier than him and I can ride and keep my ground in 12 knots with Evo 12 and Jaime SLS 133. I can do transitions and small hops but real jumps require more wind.

Based on that 56kg would be able to ride a 12 nicely in average wind of 12 knots (wind varying 10-14knots). Jumps would not be that high but better to get more routine to just riding and kite control.

So I do not think that the low end is a problem with 12 in 12 knots. The problem with light rider is that a kite gets big sooner so the loss in top end is bigger than the gain in low end. 56kg would be ok to ride in 20 knots with Evo 12 but atleast in the beginning it is not fun and may be scary. After getting used to it and learning more that is ok.

However, 9 in 12 knots would be too little. It would be very frustrating to have just a bit too small kite and only getting on board in gusts. He would get to plane if wind does not drop under 13 and average 14 knots. That is still just to get going and keeping ground. 9 would be great in 20 knots though.

If any Evo size would be available to 56 kg for 12-20 knots, I would pick an 11 in this case. If only 12 or 9, then 12 to prioritise the lower end of the range. If winds would be more on the 15-20 knots + gust on top then 9 would suit the bill.

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Sun May 02, 2021 1:55 am

^^ I don't agree with some of that, but that's ok, each to its own.

If you're going to one kite only, the Rebel should have a better wind range than the Evo. I've never had an Evo, but I've have some all around kites. I also have a couple of Rebels and one thing I liked of them is the depower and wide wind range.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Sun May 02, 2021 11:47 am)

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 am

Topaz wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:55 am
^^ I don't agree with some of that, but that's ok, each to its own.

If you're going to one kite only, the Rebel should have a better wind range than the Evo. I've never had an Evo, but I've have some all around kites. I also have a couple of Rebels and one thing I liked of them is the depower and wide wind range.
The Rebel has ~1kn better low end. The Evo has ~3-4kn better high end.

yotamss wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:15 pm
Hey,
I am a beginner, looking to buy my first kite (I did 3 lessons of 3 hours each), and I was thinking about one of the two below - Duotune Evo vs Rebel.

What do you recommend for a beginner (I want a kite that I will stay long with)?
(I have got to second hand offers about both of them from my kiting instructor, and want to hear advice from other guys too)
Don't bother trying to learn in 12kn. Wait until it hits 15kn or so and you should be decently powered. Ideally though, speak with the locals about the conditions and what's the best size. They'll be able to advise you better on sizing for your conditions. If the winds are normally edging 15-17kn, you're probably on a 10m. If 18+, then probably a 9m.

You will love the Evo. It's the perfect beginner kite for it's predictability and super easy relaunch. It drifts well for when you crash and takes a bit to stall. The Rebel can Hindenburg if not flown properly. If you're inclined, the Evo also allows diversion into different disciplines, such as waves or unhooking. It was even in the quivers of a couple Duotone riders last year for KOTA, so you can progress all the way to the top level on it (I learnt to megaloop on it).

Welcome to the sport and good luck :)
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
yotamss (Mon May 10, 2021 8:59 am)

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Mon May 03, 2021 11:06 pm

owned both and for a beginner would definately recommend the evo. doesn't mean it's not a good kite. look at a lot of pros this year start using the evo instead of dice or rebel (edgar ulrich, reno romeu...). the evo is simply one of the most versatile kites on the market and you can't do anything wrong with it.

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 am

Blackened wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 am
That's very precise! :) Where did you get that from?

Looking at the official product info, both kites share the same low end wind range but differ in the high end range by one knot.
On the papers, the rebel should have 1 more knot of high end in sizes smaller than 12 and the Evo would have one more knot of wind range in the sizes bigger than 12, being 12m the size in which both have the same wind range.

https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboarding/kites/evo/
https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboarding/kites/rebel/

Anyways, not something that would really make a difference for a beginner. Still, the Evo looks like a better option for a beginner.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue May 04, 2021 11:17 pm

Topaz wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 am
Blackened wrote:
I owned both in various sizes in 2019 and flew both in 2020 versions. The Rebel had closer high end in 2018/2019 and was offset about the same on both ends. In 2020 they changed the material layout, which changed the characteristics slightly. Most of the Rebel power is generated towards the low end now and gets overpowering much more quickly than the previous version. The Evo obviously went pulleyless, but I didn't really feel it changed the overall performance of the kite in my use - it just felt more direct and was slightly better for looping.

I have not flown any 2021 versions, so the top end may have narrowed again this year.

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Wed May 05, 2021 1:01 pm

Blackened wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:17 pm
Topaz wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 am
Blackened wrote:
I owned both in various sizes in 2019 and flew both in 2020 versions. The Rebel had closer high end in 2018/2019 and was offset about the same on both ends. In 2020 they changed the material layout, which changed the characteristics slightly. Most of the Rebel power is generated towards the low end now and gets overpowering much more quickly than the previous version. The Evo obviously went pulleyless, but I didn't really feel it changed the overall performance of the kite in my use - it just felt more direct and was slightly better for looping.

I have not flown any 2021 versions, so the top end may have narrowed again this year.
Ok, so in the end it's guts feeling.
Same here, I've always felt that Rebel's (as well as Switchblades) have the widest range of every kite I flew, but of course I may be wrong. Wind changes all the time. The wind meter at the port Everglades here in South Florida publishes the data every six minutes and there is always a variation of at least four or five knots, even on days when the wind feels super stable and consistent.

Return to “Kitesurfing”