Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kite overshooting while jumping

Forum for kitesurfers
Meindert de Boer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Urk
Favorite Beaches: Urk, Mirns, Stavoren, Trintelhaven, Wijk aan Zee, IJmuiden, Zandmotor
Style: Old School, Freeride little Un-Hooking
Gear: Ozone Enduro V3 8 - 10 mtr, 17 mtr Zephyr V6
Brand Affiliation: None

kite overshooting while jumping

Postby Meindert de Boer » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:48 am

Hi,

I experience sometimes a problem while jumping and using my micro-hook system.
I jump, hook into my micro-hook system (small hook to maintain full power, keeps the bar down like using a stopper-ball system). But after a second or 2 if find that the kite creates more forward speed. As a results I need to downloop it immediately for landing. But the landings are fast instead of easy controlled landing which make some board-off tricks difficult to do.
This is not always the case in the same session with the same wind and trim-settings. Not sure if this is only based on the pop/jump of the board?

Flying a Zephyr V6 17mtr from Ozone, and the problems occur mostly with 16+ kn.

Any ideas how this is happening and/or tips/tricks to avoid these hard landings/crashes?

thanks for sharring your experience.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Re: kite overshooting while jumping

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:09 pm

Yes, don't use a microhook for board off's, learn to jump and take one hand off the bar (do a tail grab, then one footer etc), you will then progress to correct board off's with one hand on the bar and one on the board. One hand over the center line and lift your knees to you, don't reach down for the board. The micro hook was originally used for "Dead Man", "around the world" and older board off's on big C kites in 2002, 90% of board off tricks are one handed. Downlooping with a microhook is always going to be full on power landing... hence the issue with forward speed.

Meindert de Boer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Urk
Favorite Beaches: Urk, Mirns, Stavoren, Trintelhaven, Wijk aan Zee, IJmuiden, Zandmotor
Style: Old School, Freeride little Un-Hooking
Gear: Ozone Enduro V3 8 - 10 mtr, 17 mtr Zephyr V6

Postby Meindert de Boer » Wed May 05, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi Billy,

the overshooting is while jumping and mid-air, that the kite flies forward, sometimes.
So not always the case, while fully hooked in my micro-hook-system.

offcourse, when downlooping full power will provide allot of speed when not doing like a Heli-Loop at the end.
But that is not my issue, the issue is while mid-air floating it will speeds up. ..... maybe only when a gust is coming along I cannot say at this moment.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Thu May 06, 2021 3:30 pm

Is the kite undersheeted while on the microloop? Maybe tune the flying lines so it just starts to stall while on the microloop.
How long are your line lengths? Going with shorter flying lines should minimize the effect.

Return to “Kitesurfing”