Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Always problems with abs

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Always problems with abs

Postby Havre » Tue May 11, 2021 1:06 pm

I used to squat a lot a couple of years ago. Even when I was at a level closing in on 200kg lifts I would not be able to walk after doing sessions at 100kg if I had a 6-8 weeks break. When I lifted regularly I would go as hard as I could on a Monday and would just feel tired on Tuesday - not restricted in any other way.

So consistency is key. Either through kiting or trying to do something in between so that you don't end up going completely blank when you are not kiting.

For me it isn't a problem that the abs are getting worked. Of course improving your technique is always a good thing, but I don't think anything is necessarily wrong.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post (total 2):
edt (Tue May 11, 2021 1:17 pm) • 1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:37 am)
Rating: 6.06%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 11, 2021 1:13 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:56 pm

If I go kiting every week
Yeah I think we found the problem. If you go kiting every week? If? How often are you kiting? Once a month? That's not enough to stay in shape.

Ok now I'm going to give you the real deal. This exercise beats all other exercises. Go to a play ground or find a tree. Get a rope and cut up an old bar so you can use it to train.

Now do dry land board off exercises every day for about half an hour. Your abs will turn to steel.

These users thanked the author edt for the post:
1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:37 am)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue May 11, 2021 1:21 pm

i'm also a believer in squats...
all i know is the the back problems i had from work magically disappeared once i started squatting regularly.

imo, squats are the single most efficient exercise for the whole body..and is doubly important (as we get older) to maintain bone/muscle density and give the body a reason to produce testosterone
(might be even more important for women)

squats are the only exercise i do regularly with heavy weights...and the only gym equipment i have at my home.
(squat rack)

((i also do pushups, pull-ups and crunches/situps..but dont need other equipment for that))
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:37 am)

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue May 11, 2021 1:33 pm

I love squats too. Good advice

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue May 11, 2021 1:42 pm

I think there is definitely a technique to jumping and safeguarding your abs.

As mentioned previously, many organizations that require competent fitness are no longer doing core work the same way they were 20 years ago. In fact the abs aren't even really considered a prime mover of the core anymore, and understanding this might just help your issue. Consider, what is your core?.... analogy coming: Say you eat an apple, what's left... the core... the actual hard parts of the structure. You think that when a lion eats a human they leave the ab wall for the hyenas? No man, your abs are the soft juicy bits. Your fucking spine and pelvis are the core! Prime movers of the lumbar spine and pelvis are the core muscles, and learning to move you body by properly recruiting them is key to minimizing articular wear..... The lower lumbar segments and the hip joints are primary sites of arthritis in your true core. Most of that wear is the result of poor muscle recruitment and motor patterns. Your low back muscles, your glutes, hip flexors and your thighs are your true core muscles. The ab wall is a key supporting player, but its supporting and should not be where you think of contracting to facilitate movement during any big move, be it a heavy lift or a kiteboarding boost.

Your abs are meant to primarily brace and support, not be prime movers. When you boost, don't pull your lower half off the water, or you knees up by doing a crunch with your abs. Like in the pictures above, let your body extend as you jump and use your thighs, ass and lumbar muscles to then suck your knees up to a more tucked posture in the air. If you reef up with your knees, your gonna tear your abs. If you let your body reach full extension and THEN suck up your lower half with the more natural recoil of your body by recruiting the prime movers of your core you wont over strain the abs. In the pics above, see how his knees bend and his hamstrings and glutes are already getting his board moving upward.

I rode a heavy wooden twin tip with boots for years. Still have my favorite one and its a beast. Learning to NOT use the abs to get you into your tuck after you jump will save a lot of pain and likely also result in you jumping higher as relying on your abs generally cuts the extension phase of take off a bit short.

And like elguapo, do squats. Actually before you get into squats get a kettle bell and learn to hip hinge. Then do squats!
Last edited by jumptheshark on Tue May 11, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
Gestalt (Tue May 11, 2021 2:53 pm) • 1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:38 am)
Rating: 6.06%

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue May 11, 2021 1:45 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:56 pm
......Maybee it really is the board or my technic.....
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: No, it's not your board or your technique. You are out of shape. Do the work. There are no short cuts. Just do it.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:38 am)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 pm

Loved the video edt. I am guessing you get a few weird looks too. Just before COVID struck I started collecting climbing gear to do some rope work in trees and maybe some simulator stuff. I think climbing is naturally good strength work as are your simulator exercises. You just don’t see many youngsters messing about with trees and rope where it was common place when I was a lad. For me it’s not midlife it’s late life crisis. I am off to the woods now.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue May 11, 2021 3:00 pm

Everyone has problems the first few weeks after a layoff if you look at the professional kiteboarders when they go to their first competition none of them can hit their tricks they just don't have the proper strength for me I have no problem with my core strength but my grip is just terrible at the start of a season and it probably takes me you know a month before my forearms don't get tired

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue May 11, 2021 3:01 pm

When it's raining and 40° f and the wind is Gusty and it's overcast I still go out and get a session why? The reason is because when that bluebird perfect awesome day comes I want to be able to have enough strength to kite all day you've got to hit those s***** sessions to keep your strength up

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue May 11, 2021 3:38 pm

I would also highly recommend adding stretching to your daily routine.

For the past 12 years I've been doing a single Vinyasa Yoga routine that I have memorized every single morning (takes literally 2 minutes).
Stretches the shoulders, neck, wrists, fingers, legs, lower back.

I feel physically great all the time from it and I do fun sports 365 days a year here in central Florida (kite/surf/foilsurf/SUP) with no/limited injuries (knock on wood).
These users thanked the author RadDrDuke for the post:

Return to “Kitesurfing”