Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Naish Bar with a unique modular loop system

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Naish Bar with a unique modular loop system

Postby Herman » Thu May 13, 2021 12:35 pm

Evan, At a second look I see what you mean about the non taper, my apologies. I share your views, but have seen this sort of approach quite often. I have even come across an OEM pigtail that were just folded and heavily sown over not very many mm on a second hand kite that had lots of use. Makes it feel much safer doing a proper seamanship like job if you have seen this type of thing working. The test results were very interesting. Thanks.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 pm

I've seen quite some people reporting problems with Naish bars (even broken QR assemblies, but mostly broken lines at the stopper) and this one seems like it's gonna be no exception.

The modular system from North seems a lot better to be. There's a reason manufacturers ditched the separating loops long ago. What's next, a 'revolutionary' velcro QR?

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Thu May 13, 2021 1:24 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:00 am
I was all for buying into this concept until........he put the loop in the wrong way and it didn't clip in. At which point my cynical brain kicked into overdrive and I could see all the potential problems that this creates

e.g. its windy and I trigger the QR in deep water. I pull in to reset it but its windy so there's still some pull in the kite. At the point I get to the bar, I have to decide if I try and pull the bar down to my waist where my chicken loop is to attach it, or do I have to hold the safety line, and the bar and then reach down and use two hands to unclip the chicken loop and hope I don't drop it?

Be good to hear some real world reviews though. I'm sure I'm imagining more problems that don't really exist
I don't see the problem.
You release.
You get back to the bar and grab the QR, not the bar, with one hand.
You get the loop with the other hand without un clipping it from the harness and click it them back into the QR

After releasing, you don't need to pull from the bar itself, but from the release system body in the center line, which is the same that you do on a regular bar. (I have North/Duotone and an old Naish bar) So you sill have the regular depower.
If for whatever reason you want to get the loop off the harness, you have that option, but you have to get close to the QR mechanism anyways and that will put tension in the center lines. And on top of that, you will have one hand busy with the loop.

The good thing that I see is that the re-clipping procedure is easier. You pull from the QR and push on the loop et voila.
Maybe I'm missing something because I have older bars? Are new QR's from other big brands like this already, but better?
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Marcel Surf Life (Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu May 13, 2021 4:56 pm

Topaz wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:24 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:00 am
I was all for buying into this concept until........he put the loop in the wrong way and it didn't clip in. At which point my cynical brain kicked into overdrive and I could see all the potential problems that this creates

e.g. its windy and I trigger the QR in deep water. I pull in to reset it but its windy so there's still some pull in the kite. At the point I get to the bar, I have to decide if I try and pull the bar down to my waist where my chicken loop is to attach it, or do I have to hold the safety line, and the bar and then reach down and use two hands to unclip the chicken loop and hope I don't drop it?

Be good to hear some real world reviews though. I'm sure I'm imagining more problems that don't really exist
I don't see the problem.
You release.
You get back to the bar and grab the QR, not the bar, with one hand.
You get the loop with the other hand without un clipping it from the harness and click it them back into the QR

After releasing, you don't need to pull from the bar itself, but from the release system body in the center line, which is the same that you do on a regular bar. (I have North/Duotone and an old Naish bar) So you sill have the regular depower.
If for whatever reason you want to get the loop off the harness, you have that option, but you have to get close to the QR mechanism anyways and that will put tension in the center lines. And on top of that, you will have one hand busy with the loop.

The good thing that I see is that the re-clipping procedure is easier. You pull from the QR and push on the loop et voila.
Maybe I'm missing something because I have older bars? Are new QR's from other big brands like this already, but better?
As I said, I might be making more of a meal out of it than it deserves and I'm happy to listen to those who actually try in deep water.

However, in the video he did demonstrate that its possible to put it together wrong. My experience of resetting the QR has either been in light wind or strong wind. In light wind I'm treading water so my harness is submerged under the water. It seems like you could plug it in wrong as you link parts that are submerged under the water. Maybe with a wetsuit and PFD you could just float on your back but its probably easier to assemble something at eye level? In strong wind, I've often had to pull my self along the line towards the kite so I'm basically swimming on my front. Again, it feels (without testing so can't say) like assembling this would be a lot easier at arm level rather than waist level.

In somewhere with plenty of waist deep water you wouldn't even think of this. I'm sure someone will try it in deep water and it will either not be a problem or it will be a bit more difficult than a regular QR and something you would want to practice a lot before you had to use it.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Topaz (Thu May 13, 2021 6:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Marcel Surf Life
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Maasvlakte Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Flag Beach Fuerteventura
Cold Hawaii Klitmöller Denmark
La Torche France
Style: Freeride, Wave, Foil
Gear: Naish Pivot, Appletree Malus Domestica, Naish Hover
Brand Affiliation: Naish and Appletree

Postby Marcel Surf Life » Mon May 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Hi all,

I had the chance to test this bar yesterday. I'm going to post a video that shows the bar and how the QR works latest tomorrow... :D

At least, I did not loose the Chickenloop :thumb: ..., so far...

Cheers, Marcel

Marcel Surf Life
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Maasvlakte Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Flag Beach Fuerteventura
Cold Hawaii Klitmöller Denmark
La Torche France
Style: Freeride, Wave, Foil
Gear: Naish Pivot, Appletree Malus Domestica, Naish Hover
Brand Affiliation: Naish and Appletree

Postby Marcel Surf Life » Mon May 17, 2021 6:46 pm

Hey folks,

here is the first review:

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Tue May 25, 2021 8:06 pm

Used the bar (both sizes) now for 3 days in a row. I like it very much. I have put extra pigtails on the front lines for a more robust connection (the back lines come with pigtails) and adjusted the back line lengths accordingly. At my home spot I very often set up the kites on wet sand and that sand always sticks to the connecting points. Its cheaper to replace pigtails than complete lines.

Connection to the kite feels nice stiff and direct. Depower with the two PU lines runs very smooth without any stickiness. One could argue that the system would be cleaner with the safety line also running through one of the PU tubes but you do not notice it and it does not feel being in the way. There a quite a lot of comments here on the forum with worn safety lines inside PU tubes (because of sand) which you only realize in the moment you really need it.
The outside line is probably more subject to wear and tear, but you see it and it is cheap and easy to replace.

The swivel on top of the QR is rotating extremely smooth, so that the lines often untwist automatically after simple rotations, even that bar does not have those two eyelets for auto-untwist. If it stays like that after more use we will see.

I used the medium and small QR. With the medium QR the whole system has the same length as the previous model, with the small QR it is 3-4cm shorter.

The bar itself has not changed with its small diameter which I prefer and the slightly oval shape.

Return to “Videos”