Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wingfoiling under the Golden Gate Bridge

Postby JSom » Fri May 21, 2021 3:34 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 2:16 pm
juandesooka wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:33 pm
Good example of a spot that winging opens up possibilities. Kiting is doable there, but the odds stack up against it, towards being too risky. I recall someone posting the Golden Gate / Crissy is is most rescued spot in the world for kiting, to the point that kiters are encouraged to carry a vhf with them. But it's also a surf spot and you never hear of surfers needing rescue. So winging seems like it fits in the middle, you can surf the waves, use the wind, and probably able to self-rescue if something goes wrong. All these toys are tools and it's always nice to have that optimal tool on hand for a given need. :thumb:
For sure there are places that wings open up. I'm amazed at the local interest levels in winging. In the winter there were quite a few at times. They don't really follow through on the promise of winter fun as there is usually just too much drag. Better with skates and skateboards than skis or snowboard. Will be really interested to see how they do on the water around these parts.... and how that compares to what the right kite and kitefoil can do.
This kind of driving looks cool. They look like birds when filmed from a quadcopter.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri May 21, 2021 5:03 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:26 pm
I'd be interested to know what the proportion of wing foilers to kiters in the Gorge will be this year?
Even last summer wining was huge in the gorge already and I think it will be even bigger this year.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri May 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Kinda makes good sense there. Isn't there only a few spots in the gorge to put up a kite?

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Fri May 21, 2021 9:46 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:44 pm
Kinda makes good sense there. Isn't there only a few spots in the gorge to put up a kite?
Yup, winging has way more launch options in the Gorge.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun May 23, 2021 6:05 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 2:16 pm
For sure there are places that wings open up. I'm amazed at the local interest levels in winging. In the winter there were quite a few at times. They don't really follow through on the promise of winter fun as there is usually just too much drag. Better with skates and skateboards than skis or snowboard. Will be really interested to see how they do on the water around these parts.... and how that compares to what the right kite and kitefoil can do.
My opinion remains: the killer app for wings is wave/swell riding. Short of that, if it's flat water and you're already a skilled kiter or windsurfer, would be better to stick with those. Assuming good launch and decent wind, etc. For me, I am winging 98% of the time, even if flat water, as I am in the honeymoon period and I am focused on training goals: tighten up the turns, seamless transitions, effective pumping, light on the feet and max flow ... so when that 30kt head high day comes along, I am ready 100% to make the most of it. :cool2:
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
bigtone667 (Sun May 23, 2021 9:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 24, 2021 6:25 am

Agree fully juandesooka :thumb:

When flat I find it really boring, at my mediocre level at least.
Practicing things or new transitions can be done just as well in small waves, and almost everything gets easier, even the low end, you can foil earlier both when riding out or in :rollgrin:
Besides way more fun, even in the smallest waves, difference even bigger than on kite boards :D

8) Peter

Return to “Wingsurfing”