Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Gone full circle and back what I enjoy most

Postby plummet » Fri May 28, 2021 6:26 pm

So.....
I deviated for a few years hydrofoiling. I had fun, did some epic adventure kiting up and down the coast line. Enjoyed the speed and flow of foiling. I never got on with hydrofoil jumping. Wave riding on the hydrofoiling can be thrilling for the challenge of it.

But!

I have more fun when i'm blazing on the mutant. blasting the shallows. Boosting off the waves going out, slashing them up coming back it.
That is my jam. That is what I like in the kitesurfing world. Boost and waveride.

Ahhhh..... Its good to be back blazing and boosting waves.

Who else have gone full circle and back to there first love of what ever type of kitesurfing you most?

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Re: Gone full circle and back what I enjoy most

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri May 28, 2021 7:35 pm

The thing that got me interested in kiting in the first place was watching guys race. We were racing sailboats and after we were done and having beers at the club, we'd watch the kite racers go by, and that seemed so amazing to me. So I learned to ride a twintip, and then a surfboard, and then a foil, and then foiled around in the waves and stuff because that's what everyone else was doing, but am just now finally getting ready to go racing with a kite, which is why I started in the first place. Only took five years or so.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri May 28, 2021 7:52 pm

Some of us never really left our roots. And even back with windsurfing, it was always about terrain.

Kitesurfing, at least for me, is about interacting with the surface of the water. Foiling just smooths it out too much to be considered a rollercoaster ride.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri May 28, 2021 8:45 pm

You guys are a bunch of spoiled brats. Wish I had your problems.
Screenshot 2021-05-28 154352.png

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri May 28, 2021 11:19 pm

i just love being on the ocean..on the water.

surfing was my 1st love.. i originally saw the kite as an upgrade to paddling out....as a way to catch more waves..
unfortunately, "klitesurfing" PULLS.. you're just getting dragged across and over and thru...and off waves.. which is not surfing.

i race occasionally.. but that was primarily the challenge of learning transitions while flying unforgiving vmg kites
i was never really into wakeboarding twisty spin kiteboarding stuff... was never my thing.

foiling more or less solves that issue pull.. it is possible to use a mini sized kite to get you to waves.. without the constant feel of the tractor pulling you.
foiling also open up the waves getting pushed up as it enters shallow water to surfing.. . it is now possible to surf the other 99.9999?% of waves that dont haves names or have never seen a line up

biggest issue foiking is equipment.. wings are not really one-size-fits-all-waves

i'll probably complete the circle wwhen we have robotic jet ski drone tow in surfing...

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:26 pm

I have more fun when i'm blazing on the mutant. blasting the shallows. Boosting off the waves going out, slashing them up coming back it.
That is my jam. That is what I like in the kitesurfing world. Boost and waveride.

Ahhhh..... Its good to be back blazing and boosting waves.
Lol….. have used a mutant since they first arrived - in ‘02 or ‘03 & never stopped. Sadly, “proper” mutants are no longer produced, but Simon @ Nomad still has my rocker template ( I hope!!).

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat May 29, 2021 12:04 am

I had been windsurfing for a long time and then saw a guy on a kite in the waves and thought it looked liked fun also. My wife wanted to try kiting so I had her take some lessons and then was a kite caddy for her while she learned to stay upwind. On the drive back upwind she kept asking me “how do I do this?”. I had no idea, never been under a kite so I used her kite and thrashed myself for 2 days. All this to say I started like a lot of folks I think on a big, heavy, slow kite in light wind on a tt. Moved to others toys pretty quickly, as in directionals as I came from windsurfing and surfing. I preferred the feel of fins. Then went through the whole range, boots, strapless, skim, foil, Mako, tt straps again. Finally got BACK to short surfboard with straps to boost on the way out and crank on the wave faces. With the newer faster smaller kites there is Something really fun about riding fast and loose like a hooligan again. Kind of the ‘leap before you look’ technique. So, yes back to the best riding style for me. Hope others have found theirs!

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Sat May 29, 2021 12:15 am

If given the choice, it'd be all about short surfboard and 7m kite, but unfortunately in a real world, conditions don't line up like that all the times, and I'm happy to do a bit of foiling, a bit of TT, some winging, some buggy, windskating, surf... Just picking the right tool for the job on a given day. If I was fixated and only going out on my preferred option, I wouldn't go out as often, and likely become frustrated, cranky, ... Good to have a happy mix of everything, keeps things interesting and keeps the stoke alive. At the cost of a fuller garage.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Sat May 29, 2021 1:07 am

I think Bragnouff nailed it for me.
I started on TT as my local surf conditions are mostly onshore. Just loved big air and stylish, boned-out grabs. I tried to emulate snowboarding in that sense. Moved to a SB and kite soon after starting. I get the ‘pull’ restrictions of the kite but have loved whipping myself into wave sections and throwing the biggest spray. Getting the odd cross-shore, down-the-line sessions make it all come together though. I moved into kite-foiling but only in the 10-20 knot range. I find KF a bit boring but it gets me on the water when I’d normally be getting ‘cranky’ as someone else put it. I’d say 60% of our local riders have moved to winging. I would to if we had strong wind and waves but unfortunately this is not the case. Swinging a large volume board about doesn’t seem exciting for me. I think it strange that I am now looking at the TT again thinking I should dust it off (literally). Gotta mix things up to keep it interesting 😃

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sat May 29, 2021 1:25 am

It's all about local conditions. If you give me a choice to go any where in the world then it would be side-off waves peeling off of a reef on a surf board. But in bay chop, a surf board is not so exciting so I would have more fun foiling or TT big air if the wind is strong enough. When in Rome...

Return to “Kitesurfing”