Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber
Brand Affiliation: None

Universal Flag (Safety) Line Replacement Ideas

Postby SWO_kite » Fri May 28, 2021 7:20 pm

For reference, I'm currently using a LF mission control V2.

I'm looking for suggestions to replace the safety line. As most of you know LF Kite doesn't exist any more and I can't simply purchase a replacement line. I'm certain the I could use almost any line as long as it's the correct length.

To be clear, I'm not looking for a replacement LF part online, I'm trying to solve the issue with creative thinking. I'm sure there's some gear builders/engineer minded individuals on here who can certainly aim me in the right direction. Technically, there should be an effective solution that any older bar could potentially use.

My initial idea is to use a similarly sized(length) of replacement flag line from another brand, but it's tough to know how long they actually are without owning those bars. My second idea would be to acquire a set of 1m line extensions and try that. Thoughts?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Universal Flag(Safety) Line Replacement Ideas

Postby Matteo V » Fri May 28, 2021 7:57 pm

Make your own. I do this even, and most especially, when you can get the replacement part. I can always build it simpler, stronger, and better than the contracted factory in China. My only cost is time, and materials that are most assuredly better than original equipment.

Learn to splice!
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
SWO_kite (Sun May 30, 2021 4:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Fri May 28, 2021 8:17 pm

Oprion # 1 - DIY fabrication of a replacement - usually 2.5mm ( 7/64 inch ) diameter single-braid Dyneema line ( i.e. Samson Ropes Amsteel Blue ) will work if you skip inserting bungie line in the middle of the safety line which most bars have to take up the slack when trimmed in. Typically safety lines have spliced & stitched loops on either end. Lot's of how-to-splice DIY vids out on Youtube.

Option # 2 - mail it to Comox Kite Repair ( http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca/Bridles_and_Lines.php ) and have Joost make and install it. If you can do the removal and re-installation, then just send the original safety line.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
SWO_kite (Sun May 30, 2021 4:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Sun May 30, 2021 4:55 pm

Okay, I'll start my research into line splicing. Seems like a valuable long term skill if I'm going to keep kiting.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun May 30, 2021 8:34 pm

if its a safety line with added internal bungie to take up the slack then doing it yourself is a big ask, I make these lines and more for many guys here in the uk, and the cost to ask someone like me to make you a number of safety lines is minimal, and cheaper than the original parts normally, (when I make them they are anyways) In your case I am too far away to help.
gearing up to do it yourself can cost you more than you think after all the parts/tools are delivered, and learning the skills may take more time and patience than you plan for. unless of course you need another hobby to master, if so get practicing!

watercamper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 146
Local Beach: US: the Columbia river Gorge, lower Columbia river, Oregon coast. Mexico: La Ventana (Rasta beach in El Sargento) BCS
Style: Foil mostly, Surf, TT on the ocean
Gear: Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8 UFO V2; 3, 9m V1.1
Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8,9m SST
Flysurfer Peak4, 4, 5, 6, 8: Peak5, 4
Flysurfer Hybrid 3.5
Naish Pivot 8,9m
Liquid Force Mission Control bars modified for foil with Infexion seat belt, DIY lines
Ocean Rodeo click bar
Lift Classic 150, 101 cm mast
Sabfoil W590/S330, 101 cm mast; W550/S325; W679/S483
Slingshot 2020 107cm micro Dwarf Craft board strapless, 11 liter
Slingshot 2022 100 cm Dwarf Craft, strapless, 11 liter
4'10" Firewire Evo Helium
Cabrinha 137 n 141 Tronic
Mystic, Ion, O'Neill, Buell, Patagonia, Pro-Tec, Liros, Infexion

Postby watercamper » Sun May 30, 2021 10:54 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:34 pm
if its a safety line with added internal bungie to take up the slack then doing it yourself is a big ask, I make these lines and more for many guys here in the uk, and the cost to ask someone like me to make you a number of safety lines is minimal, and cheaper than the original parts normally, (when I make them they are anyways) In your case I am too far away to help.
gearing up to do it yourself can cost you more than you think after all the parts/tools are delivered, and learning the skills may take more time and patience than you plan for. unless of course you need another hobby to master, if so get practicing!
Is there a video somewhere showing how to do it? I already do the splicing just have never made a safety. I assume you just insert the bungie into an opened up piece of dyneema or spectra then sew the ends? Or is that too simplistic?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon May 31, 2021 1:48 am

Foil wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:34 pm
if its a safety line with added internal bungie to take up the slack then doing it yourself is a big ask, ...
I just eliminated the bungie. It causes more problems than it solves and doesn't really do anything useful.

The weight of the leash on the end is more than enough to pull through any slack. Removing the bungy makes the line more streamlined and less likely to get jammed.

The only inconvenience is when winding the lines I pull the stopper up to rest against the trim bracket so I don't have a bit of slack line hanging out from the chicken loop.

I use 2mm Dyneema with Brummel splices. They're not my favourite splices but they ideal for this particular job.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon May 31, 2021 6:15 am

What problems does a bungee cause then, a slack flagout line is more prone to wind itself around everything and getting stuck somewhere.

Inserting the bungee isn't that hard, getting the right length is together with with stitching as a normal machine will have big problems with punching through the rubber and added friction. Also make sure that when fully extended the load is on the outside Dyneema and not the bungee inside.

Other things to consider is your flagout hole through the chickenloop or double bore depower cord tubing. Fone, naish, Cabrinha for example have very little room. So the flagout line can't be too thick or else it won't fit through the system but also not too thin as the loop-loop connection to the power line can be pulled through the power bracket / line organizer if made too small.
The tolerances on those bars are pretty tight in the 0.1-0.5mm range...

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon May 31, 2021 6:58 am

yes you can do without a bungie cord inside the flag out line on some bars, but not on say the Ozone standard bar which must have the bungie inside to prevent nasty tangles, but then do it wrong and it will jam inside the quick release,
apart from safety considerations its a compromise in many cases that looks sloppy and can tangle in depower situations, making one is a faff for most, and without the right machine then sewing in the bungie may be impossible without resorting to hand sewing, choosing the right strength thread is important as are the needles you use, its all possible but many do underestimate just how fiddley this is, and considering the important safety factors involved in getting it right then is it worth it for the sake of 20 -30 dollars or pounds for a pro to do it for you.
yes splicing is easy to learn, but I can not see many people who would see it as worthwhile to learn all the skills to get it right, and stock the variety of lines needed along with the tools needed for all the jobs that may crop up.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon May 31, 2021 8:16 am

I've got 600 hours over two bars with no bungie flagging lines. Zero tangles. Zero wear and tear. The most used bar has half a meter of trimmer travel and I can use it all when foiling with a big kite. Lots of trim line. No tangles.

Running bungie up the line is not difficult. Securing it is a bit more of a problem. You either run it out, loop it round then back in and down or up. Or simply sew it flat. Either way you end up with a bunched bit that can cause jamming and breaking problems.

Bungie breaks. This and the other threads wouldn't exist if it didn't. We wouldn't have all this experience at fixing flagging line bungies if it didn't break. Admittedly the bungie on my newest bar has not broken after 104 hours. Perhaps bungie is better than it used to be.

The only way I can imagine a non-bungie depower line being a problem is if you unhook a lot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”