Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Adding a Big Air kite to my quiver

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Adding a Big Air kite to my quiver

Postby Havre » Sat May 29, 2021 8:57 pm

I'm not sure if I'll call the Rebel super friendly, but definitely easy to jump with. I love the Rebel, but not sure if it is worth it when you can just get one of the listed kites and use it with the existing bar.

The reason why I'm personally leaving towards the Orbit is exactly for the reasons mentioned in this thread. Jumping with the Rebel is amazing, but I fear I would go bored with it after awhile as it is so slow in the bigger sizes and not the best looper. So that the Orbit is a better kite to develop your skills with. But never tried the Orbit so I'm basing that on comments from others. As for stalling that is well known for the 2020 model - apparently the 2021 is better in that regard.

Personally I can't stand the click bar, but I guess I'm in the minority there. If you like it then it is different and I guess better.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sun May 30, 2021 7:51 pm

I thought the Orbit was awesome but its too far out skill wise for this poster (7m jumps = pure vanilla boosting). You need skill to utilize the Orbit - even instructors who tested it lacked the correct skill level. If a kite REQUIRES good kiteloop knowledge and skill as well as solid loading/popping technique to keep it riding well, I am never going to recommend it for a Beginner/Intermediate.

Skill up on something more appropriate for 2-3 years that will be more fun and easier and then on the NEXT upgrade cycle re-assess an Adv/Pro kite like the Orbit.

I do not feel its a kite you can grow into from beginner/intermediate status because its too far up the skill tree. consider one of the other North kites if brand focused. If he hates the Rebel and XR, go for the Edge.

Saltyman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 85kg
Style: Freeride/wakestyle, old school big air
Gear: Slingshot,Naish, Cabrinha,

Postby Saltyman » Sun May 30, 2021 11:14 pm

Naish pivot or slingshot raptor V1 both very forgiving and will get you boosting bigger/ longer easily.
The Eleveight XS and some other kites are aimed at advanced kiters.
Rebel and orbit xr6 etc are for guys already boosting big pivot or raptors all the way hard to accidentally kiteloop unless you Darth vader the bar. The raptor has a awesome wind range and you might be able to score a deal atm.

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing

Postby glfmkg » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:05 pm

Thank you all. I have ordered a 2021 Naish Pivot in 12m and I'm going to use it with my existing Airush cleat bar.

Thanks,
G.
These users thanked the author glfmkg for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 am)
Rating: 3.03%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:44 pm

Listen up G,

You are a big guy and therefore you need to be utilizing your Zephyr much much more. On the days when you are jumping 7m on a 12, you are most likely underpowered. Big boys need big kites, you should be able to get well over 10m high jumps on your Zephyr. Fortunately, the Zephyr has a lot of range, so you should be able to hold it down in over 20 knots. Until you learn to ride powered, you will struggle to go high. If you are nervous, on the days when the wind picks up, wait a bit before you rush to the shore to switch to a 12, try switching to a smaller board instead, perhaps a 137 or 138, something stiff like a CF Raptor Extreme. Just leave plenty of room downwind from you as the Zephyr goes big and FAR. You will need to get comfortable staying in the air for a long time, so work up your core strength as well. Big air requires a strong core.

Once you are jumping high on your Zephyr, you will realize that a 12 for you is the kite to be on, when 175 to 190 LB weight riders are going to the moon on a 9. Your added weight means you just need more kite. That is not a negative however because larger kites are easier to control and offer more hang-time so learning tricks is often easier for big guys. Look no further than the thousands of tricks thought up by Toby and ask him what size of kite he flies in moderate to high winds…

Now go BIG and enjoy the view!!!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:00 pm

The orbit is far finicky compared to the rebel. Duotone made great changes in their 2021 rebel it's now much better handling while the orbit can stall is tricky to get the timing right. The pivot though is the most reliable highest jumping kite of those three good choice. I also really like the zephyr great float! North needs to make changes to the orbit for 2022 so it's more accessible for the average kiter. I don't like how duotone has two identical kites in one consumer roles. The Evo and rebel both fill identical needs but one is five strut one is three. They should simplify their models and decide what's better three or five slots we don't need this choice because that forces us the consumers to have to demo both kites to figure out which one we like better. Just make one kite! One kite for freeride one kite for wakesyle one kite for waves don't overlap your models. How much time do you think I have on my hands duotone? I demo all the time and don't have the time to demo two nearly identical kites.

I'm going to be doing so much more demoing now that the vaccine is out. Let's go 2021 I'm going to try all the kites I can.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:13 am

edt wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:00 pm
The orbit is far finicky compared to the rebel. Duotone made great changes in their 2021 rebel it's now much better handling while the orbit can stall is tricky to get the timing right. The pivot though is the most reliable highest jumping kite of those three good choice. I also really like the zephyr great float! North needs to make changes to the orbit for 2022 so it's more accessible for the average kiter. I don't like how duotone has two identical kites in one consumer roles. The Evo and rebel both fill identical needs but one is five strut one is three. They should simplify their models and decide what's better three or five slots we don't need this choice because that forces us the consumers to have to demo both kites to figure out which one we like better. Just make one kite! One kite for freeride one kite for wakesyle one kite for waves don't overlap your models. How much time do you think I have on my hands duotone? I demo all the time and don't have the time to demo two nearly identical kites.

I'm going to be doing so much more demoing now that the vaccine is out. Let's go 2021 I'm going to try all the kites I can.
I disagree. The instability of the Orbit is what makes it so epic at looping. Thankfully, it's predictable instability, so you can use it to your advantage or actively avoid it. At least for the 11m and under. 12m and up I don't care what they do :). The 2021 added some stability vs the 2020 and overall it's easier to fly.

Also disagree with Evo vs. Rebel. While I did agree with pre-2018, the new ones are very different.
Rebel - Dedicated boosting.
Evo - Learning, looping, boosting, dabbling in foiling/surfing/unhooking.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:15 am

Interesting. Can't wait to try the new evo so I can compare

Return to “Kitesurfing”