Gear Transport Ideas

Forum for kitesurfers
Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Gear Transport Ideas

Postby Kiterisland » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Hey guys. When I load the car to go kite I have a 100m walk from where my gear is to the car. Right now I have to make several walks back and forth as it’s all separate( kites, bars, harness, vest, wetsuits, boards booties ect ect . This makes a big mess and high chance of forgetting something.

Does Anyone who has to drive to their spot want to share their gear transport ideas? Any pictures of it?

Ideally it would be nice to carry majority of stuff in one go, but with it still being organized to an extent. If it was just all piled into one big bag it would be a big mess anyway.
Thanks for your help and ideas.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Gear Transport Ideas

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:51 pm

something like this?

And a checklist on your phone?
Attachments
cart.png
cart.png (151.34 KiB) Viewed 974 times

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:58 pm

Why carry multiple kites, bars, boards, etc. to the launch? I put on my wetsuit, booties, helmet (if foiling), etc. in the parking lot, carry one kite with pump/one bar attached, one board and a harness. Easy to do in one trip. If I need to change kites or boards, I return to the truck, but that's not a frequent event.

Maybe re-think whether you really need or use all the stuff you're carrying to the launch? Minimalist approach may be more enjoyable.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:04 pm

Not to the beach, to load the car from home…
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
FLandOBX (Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:16 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:04 pm
Not to the beach, to load the car from home…
Yes thank you, not to the beach. Once I arrive at beach and see conditions I just bring bare basics out of the car.

This is more for general gear hauling ideas loading the car.

For instance, anyone living in an apartment building and needing to bring all their gear to their car…
These users thanked the author Kiterisland for the post:
FLandOBX (Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:57 pm)

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:33 pm

I usually have a shorter walk but manage by putting most stuff in a large shopper bag.
1 kite with bar and pump on my back, neoprene and harnass in the shopper bag on the ground, board on top of that, second kite on top of that and lift everything.
These users thanked the author Jelle_vw for the post:
Kiterisland (Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:45 pm)

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:36 pm

onewheel

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm

If you don't have stairs to contend with, wheels makes sense. A wagon like above or I've seen people adapt a dolly or a Golf hand cart with a strap or two. A onewheel to make three trips more fun!

Definitely agree that its hilarious to see how much gear people, not necessarily you OP, but kiters in general cart to the launch!

To the OP, I empathize, I don't really have a long walk or anything, but I would love to be able to carry all my kit to and from the car from its spot at home in one go. I have my stuff down to a minimum. It all fits in the back of a VW without the seats down, but I still can't carry it all. Have it down to a med size rubber tub with handles that takes harness, wetsuit, shoes, helmet, vest, and any other clothing type stuff. I use one of the better backpack style kite bags in my collection with all my current kites/bars in it and my foil/board which is either super cumbersome assembled, or three piece and just as cumbersome but packable when taken apart. I opt to dismantle it barring a killer forecast of sustained wind. I only have a short trip to hand transport, but its pretty much always two trips and I bet that could be improved. Gotta figure a way to strap my three pieces of board/foil to the backpack..... yeah, but then its impossible to get through doors etc without clanging your shit off of stuff. Yeah, I empathize. At this point, its two trips, every time!

To the topic itself....

There are definitely duelling philosophies, and neither one is gonna be the best option every time out. I eat it sometimes on the walking, but its generally very lightly loaded. I leave nothing on the beach, and walk to the launch with only what is going on the water. Leaves me open to exits beyond the launch which can be really handy. Leaves nothing on the beach unattended which can be really handy, but can see you doing an extra trip, or two for rigging up or down or water or what have you. I eat that pretty happily in the name of a bit of exercise as its generally unencumbered and a quick trip. This approach is mostly cultivated out of necessity as I often ride alone and can't rely on numbers for any degree of theft protection.

The other side are the people who bring it all. Sunscreen, water, snacks, wife, another kite, every board in their quiver, its all there. One big pack mule migration and you install yourself at the launch. Great for most as there is a social scene and they are petty much never the only kiter there. Great if you have family along for slave labor. Great if you have hours for your session and are essentially spending the day. At the beach and there are always four or five fortresses of pumped kite encampments. Some never leave the sand, some never clear the break, but it's all there at the ready for 15-30 knots, even it its only blowing 13! I guess I respect the sense of commitment, but am glad to keep it light.

Kiting has a pretty nerdy side too, so we are almost all gear hounds. Sometimes it looks like people have just as much fun waiting for wind while standing around a bunch of boards in the sand than out working their tail off to hold ground riding. In fact there are often nothing but big grins on land, but only stern faces on the water itself. We are funny!

I can't help but think there is one single piece of gear responsible for the development of the more common pack mule approach. The piece you need but can't take on the water! The pump. Kind of commits you to a base camp.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:49 pm

maybe put all in a travel boardbag ?

is your car big?

In Brazil I see people putting their travel bags on top of the car...all their stuff inside.

Board, bars, kites, accessories. All fits.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:53 pm

If your drive isn't very far just wear your wetsuit the whole time. It's kind of kooky but changing in the warm shower beats the cold parking lot any day.

Return to “Kitesurfing”