Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None

Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Soli » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi everyone, I will be visiting Florida (Pompano / Ft. Lauderdale area) in September 2021. I'm a beginner kiter, at the waterstart phase, hoping to progress significantly by the time I'm there in September. I was reading on some sites about the many restrictions for Kiters in Florida.
Where would you recommend that I kite? I'm not looking for a resort but rather a place where I could rent the full equipment from and Kite on my own.
I have no limitations heading more south.
Any insight, recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Florida kiting for beginners

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 pm

the keys are great.

normally a bit more wind, but huge space with shallow water. Perfect for learning!
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Soli (Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:11 am

Dania beach, south of the pier should be fine. The beach is wide and the locals are cool.

Lauderdale by the sea, right south of the pier at Commercial Blvd. The beach is wide and there's almost always someone riding.

North beach Fort Lauderdale, north of Sunrise Blvd, may work if you find someone there to help you launching and landing. With high tide the beach is a bit narrow, but not too bad. It may be crowded on weekends.

NE 16th at Pompano beach is probably a place to avoid, as it's usually quite crowded and parking is hard.

September will be a gamble wind wise. You may find some early cold fronts (20+ knots), but those are more likely to happen in October/November.
Or you may find summer conditions, which means almost no wind. Sometimes a 12knots thermal breeze in early afternoon.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Soli (Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:03 pm)

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:54 pm

Topaz wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:11 am
Dania beach, south of the pier should be fine. The beach is wide and the locals are cool.

Lauderdale by the sea, right south of the pier at Commercial Blvd. The beach is wide and there's almost always someone riding.

North beach Fort Lauderdale, north of Sunrise Blvd, may work if you find someone there to help you launching and landing. With high tide the beach is a bit narrow, but not too bad. It may be crowded on weekends.

NE 16th at Pompano beach is probably a place to avoid, as it's usually quite crowded and parking is hard.

September will be a gamble wind wise. You may find some early cold fronts (20+ knots), but those are more likely to happen in October/November.
Or you may find summer conditions, which means almost no wind. Sometimes a 12knots thermal breeze in early afternoon.
Thanks so much for the detailed info! Extremely helpful! Let's hope September is chilly enough :)

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:55 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 pm
the keys are great.

normally a bit more wind, but huge space with shallow water. Perfect for learning!
Thanks much for replying :))

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:33 pm

If you are looking to rent gear, in most cases you will need to go with the school/concession doing the renting out of liability concerns. They don't exist to my knowledge in Dania, Ft. Lauderdale or Pompano. Outfits that can help you out that come to mind include https://adventuresportsusa.com/ at Matheson Hammock in Miami, https://www.southfloridakiteboarding.com on the flats offshore from Miami, https://othersideboardsports.com in the Florida Keys. If you bring your own gear and are still learning, it is best to avoid crowds and places with heavy restrictions like designated launch corridors.
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:07 pm

September is the peak of hurricane season. As a beginner do not venture out in tropical storm conditions.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Othersideboardsports.com in the Florida Keys is the spot. East coast of florida and especially SE Florida is bad for beginners (relatively deep right offshore, lots of beachgoers who will sue you, lots of restrictions that will fine you). Go to the keys and get out in the shallow flat water plus you get to experience the keys which are fascinating
These users thanked the author RadDrDuke for the post:

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 pm

RickI wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:33 pm
If you are looking to rent gear, in most cases you will need to go with the school/concession doing the renting out of liability concerns. They don't exist to my knowledge in Dania, Ft. Lauderdale or Pompano. Outfits that can help you out that come to mind include https://adventuresportsusa.com/ at Matheson Hammock in Miami, https://www.southfloridakiteboarding.com on the flats offshore from Miami, https://othersideboardsports.com in the Florida Keys. If you bring your own gear and are still learning, it is best to avoid crowds and places with heavy restrictions like designated launch corridors.
Thanks a lot for the info. Unfortunately I'm not coming with my own gear since I'm traveling internationally, so I'll have to rent out the entire thing.

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:59 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:07 pm
September is the peak of hurricane season. As a beginner do not venture out in tropical storm conditions.
Thank you. I will certainly keep that in mind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”