Forum for kitesurfers
Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Helmets for kitesurfing and the bucketing and drag myth

Postby Sarda » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:42 am

Are you Australian?
Are you also having to deal with the repercussions of Bell and Snell?
Did Bell send a VP to Australia to attend every helmet law hearing in Australia?
Did they use scaremongering tactics with "research" (now thrown out) yet is still used to base decisions by many, which they funded through the Snell foundation resulting in the likes of "safekids" which targeted parents vulnerability over their precious artifact children?
Are cycle helmets still their largest profit maker?
Is it an absolute disgrace?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:08 am

I'm not, but live here.
I agree with the view of scaring tactics. This is a typical divide and conquer scenario, mostly done by the origin country of Bell ;)

D.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:46 am

downunder wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:08 am
I'm not, but live here.
I agree with the view of scaring tactics. This is a typical divide and conquer scenario, mostly done by the origin country of Bell ;)

D.
"Scare tactics"???

What test have been rigged? When was falsification of data collected exposed? When were protocols changed to increase the attribution of deaths?

Your claim of scare tactics is unsubstantiated. If you want to see an actual case of scare tactics, look at the main headlines from 1 year ago. Spoiler alert - it ain't an "epidemic of helmets" that was on the world's mind back then.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:00 am

^
I wasn't replying to you. Not sure why you have this urge to reply on anything to anyone? Remember, u called me a sociopath, u like throwing names...

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:28 am

downunder wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:00 am
^
I wasn't replying to you. Not sure why you have this urge to reply on anything to anyone? Remember, u called me a sociopath, u like throwing names...
Then I'd suggest a PM to whom ever that statement was for. It seems you mistakenly put it on the public forum.

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:23 pm
downunder wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:57 pm
Sorry, complete BS. If I should be scared of innocent people dying by my actions, I would be Dalai Lama. Or a Jesus Christ.
Are you honestly NOT concerned that your actions might lead to the death of another person????? If so, that makes you a sociopath.
And you did, at least partially, deny the face value of the statement that if taken as it reads, would infact make you a sociopath. Thus by denying that face value of your statement, that clears you in this instance, of being a sociopath. Congrats!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:39 am

I can write on public forum whatever and whenever.

Umm, why didn't you list ALL reply's from ALL users who EVER posted in here after one another? Or you just picking on me? Which makes you a stalker.

Great, we have a stalker here. And I'd suggest to use a foe option. Here. You are gone forever.... Congrats.

People, lets do a POOL:

- who else has MattV on a "foe" list?
- who else thinks he is a stalker?
- continue the list pls....

Sarda
Frequent Poster

Re: Helmets for kitesurfing and the bucketing and drag myth.

Postby Sarda » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:44 pm

FredBGG wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:03 am
Sarda wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:55 pm
FredBGG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:44 am

And the helmets do have these "It has impact slap breakup holes on the helmet to reduce slap when hitting the water."

I have used helmets without the holes and if you slam down hard enough the continuous surface of the shells without holes is more hash.

The holes have a dampening effect and reduce drag.The water penetrating the holes also creates an additional cushion that works with the foam.

Is that absolute bullshit?
Do the manufacturers list them on their website as "vents, ventilation and drainage" ?

Is it absolutely obvious as to their purpose?
Are they similarly located on all land use based helmets of same or similar design?

Where in the CE test and design specs does it state any of the false attributes you are attributing?
I quote from the website "Features" from the link you provided for that particular helmet: "Vents: 17 open holes for ventilation and drainage"

Did you fabricate that bullshit?
Where does that bullshit come from/originate if you did not?
What are you going to do to remedy this, add more bullshit?(see below)

Do you not think that if that was a design feature it would be marketed absolutely everywhere and included/evidenced in its CE certification?

Why are you now ACTIVELY deceiveing/misleading people as to the attributes of that particular item of PPE?

Is that responsible behaviour?
What kind of behaviour is it?
What are the implications of this behaviour?

Do you realise you have added utter nonsense with the "The holes have a dampening effect and reduce drag.The water penetrating the holes also creates an additional cushion that works with the foam." ?

Do you realise you have added an issue with that statement which is NONSENSE?

Do you have issues (psychological) since you claim you are not receiving renumeration?

Do you understand the question/s?

:nono: :nono: :nono:
It is really simple. and this is not a response to Sarda as I really could not give a shit about responding to his petty bullshit.

When someone slams their head in the water the water has to be displaced, moved, pushed away.
When it is a continuous surface this results in a slap effect.
Having holes in the helmet breaks up this surface. While some water is pushed away some water penetrates through the holes.
The holes serve also as drainage because they also let air in so the water can drain quicker around the bottom where the helmet mattes with the sides and back of the head.

Waterski racing helmets have similar hole designs and some advanced ones even go as far as having mesh designs, but they are very expensive and would be overkill for kitesurfing.

The CE helmet testing protocol HAS NO WATER IMPACT TESTING. CE testing only test vertical drop of helmet onto a metal anvil with a 4kg metal head in the helmet.
This is More of a structural test and a deceleration test.

Fred, I have recieved a response from Pro tec in the wake of your complete and utter bullshit.

Do you believe you have behaved in a responsible manner in attruting false properties to an Item of ppe equipment?

How may your behaviour affect the usefulness and expectations of this item if your bullshit is to be believed by the less dilligent user for whatever reason.?

Who has bought into your bullshit?

Are you a risk to yourself and others promoting this type of behaviour?

Will you do anything to remedy this?

Again, can you provide a link or contact details to the makers of that very sexy "ski race" helmet?

Are you not accountable for your actions for some reason?

Do you need professional help?

Is misuse of ppe one of the largest contributing factors in incidents resulting in injury/death to the user?

Matteo V

Re: Helmets for kitesurfing and the bucketing and drag myth.

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:10 pm

Sarda wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:44 pm
Is misuse of ppe one of the largest contributing factors in incidents resulting in injury/death to the user?
Do you have some evidence that there is a net loss of life when using PPE vs not using PPE.

Dont get me wrong, I am well aware that PPE can be, and is often misused. My last boss never changed respirator filters when working with fiberglass, heavy metals, and solvents. I also know that he, and every other person I have ever worked with, would continue work even if PPE was not available. This direct unprotected exposure also results in death.

So again, if NO PPE is used, do you think it would save more lives than if PPE is utilized???

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:31 pm

Everyone bear with me and I can solve this debate.

If you want to wear a helmet then do it.

If you do not want to wear one then don't.

No matter where you stand on the subject. Keep that shit to yourself.

If someone asks for a recommendation on a helmet. Give a recommendation and not your opinion on if a helmet is needed or not.

Enjoy being less pissed off and combative with my short list of tips. Pissed off people tend to be ass holes and no one likes ass holes.

Thanks and enjoy some wind.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post (total 2):
knotwindy (Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:55 pm) • Mike101 (Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:27 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Sarda
Frequent Poster

Postby Sarda » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:28 pm

TheJoe wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:31 pm
Everyone bear with me and I can solve this debate.

If you want to wear a helmet then do it.

If you do not want to wear one then don't.

No matter where you stand on the subject. Keep that shit to yourself.

If someone asks for a recommendation on a helmet. Give a recommendation and not your opinion on if a helmet is needed or not.

Enjoy being less pissed off and combative with my short list of tips. Pissed off people tend to be ass holes and no one likes ass holes.

Thanks and enjoy some wind.
Are you aware there is a point when helmet wearing would be a legal requirement/mandatory?

Do you know what that point is?

What are the problems/implications associated with providing misinformation about an items properties/capabilities/functions/abilities etc. both positive and negative(in this case a helmet, classed as PPE) in achieving that point?

Could that be regarded as "best practices"?
If not the user, who would benefit?

Do you understand the problems/implications?

Do you require a car analogy or anecdote, possibly an intimation of experience like back in the day to assist limited comprehensive abilities?

What exactly have you solved?
What have you tried to solve?

Do you understand the questions?

Is misuse of PPE one of the largest contributing factors resulting in injury /death to the user?

Why is that?

Is there a debate?
Are you pissed off?
Have you considered lending your outstanding probem solving skills anywhere else?
Weren't in the Middle East recently by any chance?
Last edited by Sarda on Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”