Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone use the JMG Wind-Kite Surfing app on their Garmin watch?

Forum for kitesurfers
KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Anyone use the JMG Wind-Kite Surfing app on their Garmin watch?

Postby KitingPolak » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi Guys,
Anyone use this Garmin app https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/36d0 ... 789b8e39cf for jump tracking? If so I'm curious about which watch you used it with and what your experience is/was. I saw some mentions of it in the "2019 Watches" post but it was for older versions.

I've been looking for an alternative way to get an estimate of jump height but don't want a Woo/PIQ so looking for alternatives. It's either get a compatible Garmin watch for this app or use the Surfr app with a cell phone. I don't really like the idea of mounting my phone on my board(s) because that's not an optimal place to put a jump tracker - it should be on the upper body or harness for the least amount of vertical influence from waves or "woosting" cheats. Plus I have multiple boards.

If Surfr worked with the phone around my neck then I'd be OK with that but not sure if the app works that way. If this app Garmin app works then I'd buy one of their watches since I need a new fitness tracker smartwatch anyway.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Re: Anyone use the JMG-APP Wind-Kite Surfing app on their Garmin watch?

Postby ieism » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:54 pm

My guess is the jump hight works with barometric pressure and GPS only, so not every Garmin device is capable of that. I also doubt the height would be very accurate, I get about 10 meters accurate on my Fenix 6 pro in the best case. But in the worst case it jumps all over the place sometimes.

I downloaded it and had a quick look, the interface look nice and there is some cool stuff in there but it's not something I would use myself.

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Re: Anyone use the JMG-APP Wind-Kite Surfing app on their Garmin watch?

Postby KitingPolak » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:31 pm

ieism wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:54 pm
My guess is the jump hight works with barometric pressure and GPS only, so not every Garmin device is capable of that. I also doubt the height would be very accurate, I get about 10 meters accurate on my Fenix 6 pro in the best case. But in the worst case it jumps all over the place sometimes.

I downloaded it and had a quick look, the interface look nice and there is some cool stuff in there but it's not something I would use myself.
Thanks, have you tried the different algos to see if accuracy improves? There are 4 different algorithms and 3 of them do not require the barometer.
2021-07-12 14_30_05-Clipboard.png
2021-07-12 14_30_05-Clipboard.png (16.38 KiB) Viewed 3924 times

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Re: Anyone use the JMG Wind-Kite Surfing app on their Garmin watch?

Postby SMJ » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:44 pm

I tried several smart watch apps and tried my phone mounted to the board with the Surfr App. Broke down and got a WOO. Now everything is so much easier. Just get a WOO; you'll be happier in the end.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:14 pm

KitingPolak wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:00 pm
Hi Guys,
Anyone use this Garmin app https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/36d0 ... 789b8e39cf for jump tracking? If so I'm curious about which watch you used it with and what your experience is/was. I saw some mentions of it in the "2019 Watches" post but it was for older versions.

I've been looking for an alternative way to get an estimate of jump height but don't want a Woo/PIQ so looking for alternatives. It's either get a compatible Garmin watch for this app or use the Surfr app with a cell phone. I don't really like the idea of mounting my phone on my board(s) because that's not an optimal place to put a jump tracker - it should be on the upper body or harness for the least amount of vertical influence from waves or "woosting" cheats. Plus I have multiple boards.

If Surfr worked with the phone around my neck then I'd be OK with that but not sure if the app works that way. If this app Garmin app works then I'd buy one of their watches since I need a new fitness tracker smartwatch anyway.
Try this app

https://www.thesurfr.app/

works with large range of Android phones. It seems the height also use accelerometer info and is more similar to what Woo measure.

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:54 am

rnelias wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Try this app

https://www.thesurfr.app/

works with large range of Android phones. It seems the height also use accelerometer info and is more similar to what Woo measure.
Yeah, that's the app I was referring to in the OP, I don't see why it's necessary for the phone to be mounted on the board and I prefer not do that. Nevertheless at some point I'll probably give it a shot since I have a few old android phones laying around - assuming the batteries aren't totally dead and I can revive them.

I often carry may daily phone in a waterproof pouch under my impact vest in case of emergencies, especially on downwinders... hopefully at some point that location will be considered sufficient and the phone need not be mounted on a board. Could have the phone announce the jump height, perhaps display it on a bluetooth connected watch, or through bluetooth connected earphone.

Aside from potentially having better processing power and a bigger battery, I don't see what advantage a phone has over a modern watch. I'm assuming the same or similar accelerometer/gyro ICs are used in both instances so I doubt one has sampling or accuracy advantage over the other... just conjecture on my part though.

mass898
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Bredene
Favorite Beaches: Oesterdam
Gear: Duotone rebel 6-9m
Evo SLS 11m
Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41
Epic Oxygen 135x47

Postby mass898 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:43 am

KitingPolak wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:00 pm
Hi Guys,

hello, just bought the garmin fenix 6. Will test the JMG app in parallel with the surfr app. There is not much review or forum discussions on this app but it has been downloaded 25k times. So it is popular. Will let you know in a week or so, when i tested it.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:48 am

Did you see this?

viewtopic.php?t=2411047
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
mass898 (Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

mass898
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Bredene
Favorite Beaches: Oesterdam
Gear: Duotone rebel 6-9m
Evo SLS 11m
Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41
Epic Oxygen 135x47

Postby mass898 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:10 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:48 am
Did you see this?

viewtopic.php?t=2411047
yes, i was actually focusing on the jump measurement functionality. Distance and speed are not so interesting to me.

it seems that the woo app doesnt provide jump functionality correct?

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:25 pm

You can use the sufr app around your neck, doesn't need to be on board

Return to “Kitesurfing”