Local Beach: Mokuleia, Kailua
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Switch Element 13m, Switch Element 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's up with Switch Kites?

Postby Speedkillz » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:30 am

Been riding Switch Kites for many years. Just went on their website, and stock is low/unavailable on just about anything I want to order (kites, bars, parts). Anyone heard anything? Seems like a dying company. I’ve always liked their stuff, but my confidence in the brand is pretty shaky right now. Hopefully it is just a supply chain problem. Aloha.

speedreef
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: What’s up with Switch Kites?

Postby speedreef » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:57 am

Yes, have had a surprise duty fee that I blame the orange tariff clown monster despot, this was many months ago, my kite cost was as much that I could should have bought Cabrina, slingshot, naish, best?!!!!! (Lol)
I paid on the website only to be extorted from import to get the kite? "Pay this or don't get kit"
Stay away until it sorts out.
I love switching, until this experience 😌🙃🙂🤪😋😌

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Re: What’s up with Switch Kites?

Postby jyka » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:08 am

I think everything started to go wrong (~2 years ago?) when they lost some of them employees / team members. I have been happy with my old nitro4's. But I would not buy anymore from switch, it looks like the company is halted.
Even the old good forum http://forum.switchkites.com/ redirects to their sales site. Tried to read if there is more info about the company state but maybe they want to hide it :D

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Re: What's up with Switch Kites?

Postby Faxie » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:18 pm

Forum has been dead for years

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:56 pm

Their website is the perfect example of how to piss off a user. Discounts everywhere, newsletter and chat popups, huge headlines...
Probably they think they're selling to grannys...

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:07 pm

I do see them on the water more often than a few years ago though

Bill C
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill C » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:52 pm

I live in the US and have periodically purchased Switch products. Pay the price shown on the website and the product shows up on my doorstep. Excellent customer service. None of the holding my purchases hostage until I pay some sort of tax which I don't understand.

I've also purchased new kites/boards from several name brands. Generally all good stuff. I've been well aware on the front-end of the quality, performance and ownership experience when buying Switch. No regrets.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:29 am

I recently bought a 6m wingding. The price had dropped a little. Ordered on Monday and delivered to Australia by Friday.

I always order things that come in under the tax free threshold so no delays and no fees to pay.

My theory is that they run things lean to keep costs down. They probably get stock in, sell it, plan more production and go. Ozone do the same but they own the factory so have more control over what gets produced when.

I have a couple of complaints about Switch. The main one is that the products are so good and so cheap that I won't consider other brands. They perform exactly the same as the name brands and cost literally half the price. Nobody is doing stuff on their kites that I can't do on mine. (short of the pros and the young super athletes).

I suspect the resale value might not be so good. I've only sold one kite and was happy with the price I got. I prefer to fly kites to death and my quiver of Switch kites are lasting just fine.

It's a good/bad thing that they don't churn out a heap of new models. It would be nice to have an excuse to buy new stuff, but <see above>

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:33 pm

So, a tough one then ?

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:37 am

I bought a wing recently. Arrived 3 days later from Hong King and I'm very happy with it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”