Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner Question: How to prevent water in nose during body dragging?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beginner Question: How to prevent water in nose during body dragging?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:44 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:04 pm
Are you new to being in water?

I can not help you, but on video you sometimes see someone holding their nose when they jump in the water for the first time - maybe it is the same if you are new?

It will pass I am sure, as I don't know anyone having this issue...

I am in the water a lot, hydrofoiling, dragging often to get back to my board.

So if noone has the "secret" to avoid it now when new, don't worry it will pass and be non existing later :thumb:

8) Peter

I still say above is the issue here, combined with how you do it.

When out yesterday, I tried in various ways to get water in my nose when body dragging - it was impossible.

When you are bodydragging and on your side in the water even with very little power and no or only a thin summersuit so you are deep in the water, then your nostrals are not pointed open in the path you drag, even if you look up at the kite.

You have to lean your head all the way back, in order to get to a position where your nostrals get flooded from the front - a position you would never use anyways.
And WHEN I did this on purpose to see what happened, it wasnt a problem, because I noticed I exhaled through the nose at every instant in this position, so no water in the nose - at least not anything that could hurt.
If you havent learned this intuitive response yet (we all do it without thinking, thats why I had to try yesterday to find out), it is most likely one of the problems - but doing this per reflex will come in time when you get used to water, is my prediction.

Also, you might be looking up towards your board?
Dont do that, as you will not go upwind well now.

For best "performance" bodydragging upwind, a few things:
Drag sidewinds, dont try to go upwind so never try pointing up towards the board with one arm - an error even experienced make.
Keep the straight sideways superman position, head on the side, and looking at the kite is just fine, but dont arch your head back, simply turn it a bit on the side looking upwards, just like when you breathe when breathing every second stroke during front crawl.
Dont take too long "tacks", as you might lose orientation about where your board is.
When you change tack, depower the kite and fly it over slowly so it wont lift you downwind.
Use every "tack change" where your head is higher over the water, to locate your board.
Again - remember the short tacks, unless in totally flat water you could go longer as board is easier to see, but dont, as you will have problems when out in chop later, where you might get disorientated and lose your board.

It will take time to get it perfect, but the good thing is, you usually dont need it "perfect", so if you just learn to use some of above hints you will be fine.
With experience, you will know exactly when your nose is in and out of the water, and you can look after the board on occasion while dragging, but for starters, dont.

Hope this helps :D

8) Peter

thekitemonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA)
Favorite Beaches: Waddel Creek
Style: Foil, waves
Gear: Surfboards and 2016 Moses 550/325

Postby thekitemonster » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 am

I spent my glory days surfing, and we continually douche our sinus cavities every time we duck dive a wave. So I feel your pain when you get that huge snort of saltwater up your honker. My advice is spit it out your mouth in a simultaneous exhale. You do know how to swim right? It kind of works out in the end, but your sinuses will drain at random throughout the day.

I just saw an interview of Liberace. Fabulous. The clothing. The hair helmet that would make Matteo V and Fred BGG drool. I know I'm just drunk but I'd love to see Liberace getting held down throughout a 10 wave set, and then I'd love to see the both of you comparing the horrors of saltwater up the orifices.

thekitemonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA)
Favorite Beaches: Waddel Creek
Style: Foil, waves
Gear: Surfboards and 2016 Moses 550/325

Postby thekitemonster » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:43 am

Oh shoot, your in freshwater!!! Sorry!!!
Well at least your douching your sinuses with Mt Hood Snowpack runoff, I know it still feels a bit nasty. But just imagine the beginners at Belmont Shore who are sinus douching the sewage runoff from Los Angeles.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:53 am

thekitemonster wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 am
I know I'm just drunk.........
TKM,

The more often you drunk post here, the more happy and entertaining the forum will be. You are truly the first one here I've been happy to hear admit that they are drunk posting, and I name you friend of us "brain bucketeers", and may your wax be always sticky, and may we cross paths again, maybe another year.

Stay safe, my friend!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:44 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:44 am

I still say above is the issue here, combined with how you do it.

When out yesterday, I tried in various ways to get water in my nose when body dragging - it was impossible.

8) Peter

Peter, did you try with two hands on the bar with a flat body as well ?

That got water to my nose.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:45 pm

dobermankby wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:34 pm
Hello, I've taken two lessons so far, and we have covered all the safety stuff (setup, launch, land, self-rescue) plus some body dragging and power stroke without board.
Last weekend I went out to the beach at Hood River event site with my own gear by myself for the first time and practiced some kite control + body dragging.
I have a problem while body-dragging: I get a lot of water in my nose every 5-10 seconds. It hurts so much that I have to basically stop.
Besides this problem, I don't think I have any other issue with kite control, body position, hand position etc. I feel like I can body drag in the direction I want to go properly until this happens.
This happens even in waves that are 1 foot or less high. (Hood river event side in the afternoon with <20 kts)
Is this normal? Do you just get used to getting all that water in your nose constantly? Does it stop hurting after a while? (can't imagine so) or am I doing something wrong?
I had an impact vest during the practice (but not a floatation vest) I tried to face downwind, didn't help much.
I really want to practice this more and get good at it, but this problem is preventing me from even practicing it.
What other techniques do you recommend to help with this issue? Thanks a lot.
did you out again and try?

Curious if you solved the problem

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:51 am

Sorry, I think we are responding to two different things here :roll:

Many of us are responding to bodydragging sideways, but maybe he meant going dead downwind?

8) Peter

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:51 am
Sorry, I think we are responding to two different things here :roll:

Many of us are responding to bodydragging sideways, but maybe he meant going dead downwind?

8) Peter
Maybe…

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:18 pm

Water in the nose is mostly fine. But if water is not very clean where you kite - then you may want to use old yoga trick and rinse it out after a session. Called neti pot.
Very easy, although looks strange :D
Helps me to get rid of this unpleasent aftertaste sometimes lingering for days otherwise.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:58 pm

I am curious, as to how it goes for the OP dobermankby now?
Not much feedback/response here, in fact nothing for over 3 weeks :wink:

Hope you get it solved :thumb:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”