Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ultimate foil for surf skate like quick carves?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ultimate foil for surf skate like quick carves?

Postby lederhosen » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:45 am

+1 for zeeko spitfire xlw. It should be mentioned how easy spitfire dives back in after surfacing, no falling from sucking air down.

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:40 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:03 pm
Lets be clear, all the two foot days are simply training for the 25 knot 7 foot days.
Ha! Slater grew up surfing crap waves in Florida! Amen to that!

Knowone
Rare Poster
Style: wave/foil
Gear: Drifters

Postby Knowone » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:05 pm

@mirza...The snowboard video is spot on, an excellent example of 'edge to edge' pure carve. I can yaw the foil excessively, or use the kite to force a turn, but both of those types of turns are 'skidded' turn rather than pure carve.
Regarding my Dwarfcraft modifications... I rode three sessions stock, with the strut all the way forward. With the lift 170 and my style, it needed more foot rear pressure than I enjoyed. I had a choice to modify my style or the board...I modified the board. (Drilled 5/8" holes 4 cm in front of track, removed foam top and bottom to promote bonding, filled with resin, drilled and tapered hole for M8 bolts...was a clean job)...However, just shy of 120 sessions the board broke...sigh. NO FAULT OF SLINGSHOT. I am on my backup board for a while, Peter from LP is building me a new 100cm board, the 'last board I will ever need'- (that's what I'm telling my wife).
So, hopefully the Dwarfcraft with your wing fit your style, 'cuz it wasn't designed for mine!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:25 pm

I ride the Lift 170 mounted with the rear bolts 6" from the tail.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:35 pm

gergos wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:46 am
Great video, and skilled rider, but this is not what I'm trying to do in waves. I'm trying to ride downwind, linking as many bottom and top turns on the wave as I can until it breaks, then riding out and finding the next wave to do the same thing on. My wave sessions are all the same: 8-10 long tacks upwind gaining ground on the outside and then downwind legs in the waves back to the original starting point. Rinse and repeat.

For this type of riding, I'm using a Peak4 and, for small waves, a Lift 170 Fish and, for bigger waves (chest+), a Lift 150. Lift 170 Fish is really fun in small waves. It's slower and turns a little snappier than the Lift 170. Once the waves get a little bigger, the 170 Fish can't handle the speed riding down the face at all. In chest / head waves, I think the Lift 170 would be better than the Lift 150, but I don't have a 170 at the moment.

I have not tried any of the newer Lift products.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:06 pm

These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
Jugglajon (Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Knowone
Rare Poster
Style: wave/foil
Gear: Drifters

Postby Knowone » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:29 am

I'm at 7" bolt to tail.. was gusting to 35 today, some steep short period wind swell...my ''back-up' board doesn't have 'stomp pads'?, (the little flipped up foam pad at the back of the board)...when rolling the board over on the bottom turn, my little toe was dangling off the back..I like (need) enough board behind the strut to pitch the board up while rolling the wing HARD...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:22 pm

That last Ketos vid is not really much about rail to rail but is still cool as F! Makes me wonder if this style is better categorized by the board than the type of riding or even the foil!

Cycling is categorized by the bike, the terrain is implied. I think once on a pocket board, the type of foil and by extension type of riding is almost implied. Ketos look to be the sweetest commercially available set up. Would love to try one.

Description by conditions isn’t really that valid either unless your in actual surf. I seem to be able to have a good time in a slick, tiny chop, nice chop, big chop and basically live for decent swell. The riding can vary from learning maneuvers in flat 10 knots to slash and burn in 15 to true swell riding in 25. Still the style is consistent, as is the board. In fact some will switch out similar wings and stabs, to ride the same board in differing conditions.

Sorry, maybe this is OT.

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:58 pm

JoelLikesFoil
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 195
Local Beach: Wrightsville Beach, NC; OBX; Newport, RI
Favorite Beaches: Shack's Puerto Rico
Style: Surfboard, surf foil
Gear: Slingshot Phantasm 633 / Ride Engine Bird Machine 3'10" / Peak4s
Duotone Pro Fish & Wam / Neos

Postby JoelLikesFoil » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:59 pm

Finally, I think I've found my people on this here forum thread! I've been 100% dedicated to kite foiling waves for a while now, so I'll add my thoughts...

I have a very high opinion of my Slingshot Phantasm 633 with 92cm mast. I LAY INTO THIS THING, and it never fails. I crank hard, abrupt turns (as if smacking the lip on surf board), snappy pivot turns, or take em wide and carvy. I have not found the limit of pushing the G's with this thing - I am still the limitation. I am considering the next mast size or two up, so as to be able to lean even more and keep the wing in the water. I don't know what the top speed is, but it's fast enough for this discipline. Fast enough to catch up to any wave...and slow enough to kill time until the next one. Generous enough to take any amount of white water, burp or other flow disruption. Massive storm swell, bay chop, or beach break, I'm covered.

Second thing: small enough board to not have too much momentum to counter - need light, stiff and snappy. 3'10" for me, and I'd go smaller next time. My RE Bird Machine has chamfered bottom edges which I do think help with the occasional chop/wave touch. This board is pretty similar to the 100cm Dwarftcraft. I prefer a foam-cored board over a deck, and the thicker cross section is stiffer.

Third and most critical part for really getting after it - the right kite. I've settled on Peak4 in 3,4 and 6m (good from 11-30kt). Once you have the ability to boss the foil around, the Peak4 enables taking that to the next level. If you think you're accomplishing this with a tube kite, you're not. For the people following this particular thread - the difference is real and must be tried. The power delivery is perfect: exactly what you want, exactly when you want it, and nothing more. Because of this you can change direction in an instant, or just ease up on the bar and become 95% independent of the kite. I have tried and cannot outrun the kite dead downwind full speed on a wave (in say at least 12kt wind). Often, just set the kite up high and ride and make turns with no hands on the bar.

Since putting together this trifecta of shred, I never think about gear anymore - solely focused on pushing harder and finding new conditions to master. Good times!

Oh, re: winging...I think the Peak4 is the answer for kite foilers who aren't happy with the freedom to surf how they might want. I've shared sessions with pretty good wingers and get better rides, more rides and generally do circles around them. I'll trying winging one day to try something new, but it won't be due to surfing performance relative to a kite.
These users thanked the author JoelLikesFoil for the post (total 4):
jumptheshark (Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:03 pm) • wheat (Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:59 am) • lezo (Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:52 am) • gergos (Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

Return to “Hydrofoil”