Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Which campground in OBX? (For tent)

Postby Topaz » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:33 pm

Hello, I'm looking for tent campgrounds in OBX, hopefully close to kiting spots. What are good options?

I already found that Cape Hatteras National Park has campgrounds available. Checking if there are other options.

Thanks

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: Which campground in OBX? (For tent)

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:43 pm

Rodanthe Watersports & Campground. Talk to Mike. If you are in a tent, you might want to stay closer to Hwy 12 than directly on the sound......it can get windy! You can kite directly from the campground or launch at Kitty Hawk Kites a half mile south. You can also do downwinders from Salvo Day Use Area directly to the campground (about 3 miles).

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:44 pm

Another option further south is Frisco Woods campground. Also on the sound. You can kite directly from the campground.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
Topaz (Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:52 am

At Frisco Woods you might be able to get a site near the sound edge, but it will be windy in anything north, otherwise they have sites back in the woods that are sheltered. Personally I love the NP campgrounds, but I sleep in my van and am old enough for the senior discount. Frisco NP is my favorite, far away from crowds, up on a ridge so you can get a breeze, especially from the south when it is hot. With a tent you can find sites that are exposed or hidden under low trees. Only time it books full is some weekends, and then you can go to the Cape Point lighthouse campground, which is huge. Mosquitoes can be brutal there.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
Topaz (Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:15 am)

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:52 pm

I ended up in the Oregon Inlet NP campground. It was good. Yes, it gets windy, but the campground is protected by the dunes, so any decent tent will hold fine.

I got three days of wind. I kited at Salvo arear. Pretty nice. I met some guys there and had plenty of fun.

The third day, the wind (SW) dropped and I pulled the foil. I looked like no matter where I'd go, it would never be deep enough. I kept touching the bottom once in a while. I didn't want to go too far for fear of breaking something.

I guess people cut down their masts to foil there? At least one guy I talked to had done it.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 pm

Topaz, wish you had indicated dates, if you were there this past weekend we could have met up. Instead I rode with another retired entomologist I met out there last summer. We had a great time. Did a downwinder I bet not many others have done, from Oregon Inlet Fishing Marina to the causeway on US64 on Saturday. And several others. On Sunday afternoon it was cranking and we did the Planet of the Apes downwinder on 9m and powered, and we had it completely to ourselves, a real treat. There wasn't even anyone kiting at Salvo Day Use Area when we got in there. I have no idea where people were kiting.

For foiling there are at least four choices. First, I generally go to Canadian Hole (official the Haulover Day Use Area between Avon and Buxton) in the mornings when the wind is a little lighter. Yes, it is small, but that forces me to practise transitions - check Google maps satellite view to see the shape. You can also launch at Kite Point south of there and head downwind to the hole on SW or upwind on north.

Second, the water eventually gets deep enough off Kitty Hawk Kites in Waves to allow you to foil on tall masts, but you have to walk about a couple hundred yards first.

Third, at Island Creek at the north end of Avon there is a channel that leads to deeper water on the south end of the area, again, check Google satellite images, but access is not easy unless you are staying in a house there.

Finally, believe it or not there is an ocean on the other side of the island, and especially late in the day on the generally SW days the wind will turn almost to South, and then the whole eastern edge from Buxton to Waves becomes perfect for foiling with small waves allowing easy access, and the beautifully clear water far out is lovely.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
Topaz (Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:12 am)

Return to “Travel”