any Peak 5 rumours...

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby 14ToeSide » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:10 pm

Not sure how much more can be said with 244 pages already. :closed: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :happybirthday:
These users thanked the author 14ToeSide for the post:
PullStrings (Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:29 pm

ice wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:09 pm
not much happening on this thread

any Peak 5 rumours...
FS is supposedly going back to water relaunchable like they initially tried with back in the original Peak proto. If it comes out this year, won't be till winter.

I'm also expecting something special to be released on Flysurfer's 20th anniversary.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
ice (Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 am

bugger - have been flying Flysurfer kites for 19 years !!!

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:10 pm

just rode my 4m peak 4, first time. not feeling the magic,, maybe i was over powered. if i let bar all the way out,, the trailer edge flapped like crazy,, one time i pulled bar all the way in, and it pinwheeled, only happened once, i depowered it a bit,, but kited for a while with it, trying to get it drift with no input and i don't know,,,hmm. it was around 25 mph. it turned fast that is for sure.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:13 pm

papasmerf wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:10 pm
just rode my 4m peak 4, first time. not feeling the magic,, maybe i was over powered. if i let bar all the way out,, the trailer edge flapped like crazy,, one time i pulled bar all the way in, and it pinwheeled, only happened once, i depowered it a bit,, but kited for a while with it, trying to get it drift with no input and i don't know,,,hmm. it was around 25 mph. it turned fast that is for sure.
Yep sounds like you are overpowered for sure. To help with the flapping I like to just rest my hand on the bar at all times putting just slight tension which helps.

=Jason-

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:32 pm

papasmerf wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:10 pm
Don't know what you have been doing with your other Peaks, but in my experience the 4m is best in around 16 - 18 knots. Like all small kites it is fast & sensitive to sheeting. It's useable in stronger winds, but I think you lose a lot of the qualities that make the Peaks fun when you use them overpowered.

On the other hand, I have spent a lot of time on the 6m Peak over the past couple of months. Really liking it now - even though it is much slower than the 4m, it still has exceptional responsiveness that comes from being so light. It is completely confidence-inspiring in its low range (around 9/10 knots) because of the way it floats through the apex when gybing - no necessity to down loop.

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:31 am

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the Peak4 propoganda and spreading the good news. I had a hole in the HF kite quiver and wasn't able to buy a wave kite for a price point I wanted last year, so I bought a Peak 4m thanks to your good advice.

Great price, great kite, and I appreciate the honesty of the reviews. Kite behaved exactly as described.

I've been riding it for a year and I'd say the ability to chase the swell at any point of sail is unreal. The internet is full of bullshit and 'it can do anything better than everything else' reviews, so this was nice to read about.

Only negatives I'd throw out there for anyone interested is: don't bother taking it out if you're underpowered and you have any intention of returning to where you came from. It's a real bitch to work the kite around constantly to stay upwind and stay up on foil. Rig a bigger sail if in doubt.

I've never had the thing sink on me, always managed to fish it out of the water via reverse launch the ~3 times I hit water over 20 sessions or so.

foursquare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay Area:

e.g. Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Berkeley, Toll Plaza, 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe Lagoon (BZ), Castles (HI)
Style: Foil
Gear: Ozone Wings, Armstrong Foils, Flysurfer & Slingshot Kites

Postby foursquare » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:36 pm

So I've searched the thread multiple times on line lengths, but am confused on a few things. I've flown my 8m a few times in 9-12kts, but on my most recent session did have the kite invert on a turn and plummet into the water.

So, im interested in removing the 7m extensions and trying it on 14m short lines. Anyone have any riding notes on this?

Also, the bridles and line rigging with B-Safe is a bit of a headache. Is there a way to safely fly without it?

Thanks!

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:24 pm

foursquare wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:36 pm
So I've searched the thread multiple times on line lengths, but am confused on a few things. I've flown my 8m a few times in 9-12kts, but on my most recent session did have the kite invert on a turn and plummet into the water.

So, im interested in removing the 7m extensions and trying it on 14m short lines. Anyone have any riding notes on this?

Also, the bridles and line rigging with B-Safe is a bit of a headache. Is there a way to safely fly without it?

Thanks!
Im using 14meter lines on my 4m. Works so good :-)
I dont think it will improve inverted kite though.

I removed all the B-safe lines, even the bridles. Personally I think it flies better without them. Flags good enough on a single flagging line.
I know that they supposed to add rigidy to the foil, but for me it works better.

Return to “Foil Kites”