Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shark Encounters

Forum for kitesurfers
clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shark Encounters

Postby clydesdale » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:38 am

I foil with Junebug and have had my share of fish encounters. Broken 2 foils wings hitting rays that i saw in the water right before I hit them and have been randomly ejected numerous times running into other mysterious fish I didn’t see, some which I assume were sharks.

I was foiling one time on back of breaking waves outside detached sandbars from the beach and was ejected and didn’t give it much thought till back on the beach I saw bite marks on top and bottom of my fuselage. I assume in the murky turbulent water a lurking shark instinctively went after the foil thinking it was a ray or fish.

Kited with Stephen Schafer in Stuart Fl day before he died of the shark bite sadly.
Attachments
FF00CE91-E1AD-4CE6-A5BC-AD9321FAAED1.jpeg
These users thanked the author clydesdale for the post:
Greenturtle (Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:22 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

thekitemonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA)
Favorite Beaches: Waddel Creek
Style: Foil, waves
Gear: Surfboards and 2016 Moses 550/325
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby thekitemonster » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:07 am

Loved that GreenTurtle post of the
Bullshark getting it right down the gullet. I hope Spiro ate it and I hope it was nice and tender. Holy Shizzx I am never ever kiting East Coast. That thing makes a big whopping GW Shark look docile. No apologies to any Shark Huggers out there either. This is war, I need every single appendage and don't want them bitten off. I'm with Kelley on this one. That thing was pure evil, it would have killed Spiro for sure.

Right, I'm off to have a nice big bowl of shark fin soup now, tata!

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:57 pm

Shark week had an episode where they baited the water behind a wakeboard ramp. Watch below.

I kite in mostly shallow water (3' or less) and have hit probably 10 or more small sharks over the years with my TT and surfboard.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:13 pm

I could contact them or through contacts who work with them currently. Have to confess, I have religiously missed shark week since it has been around. I have reposted two or three short clips through the years though but that is about it. What we need is more information from kiters and now wingers about interactions with detailed information about what happened. So, keep posting your experiences on here. That information along with apparent trends, if any, will likely give us a lot more meaningful info than the Discovery Channel I suspect. All they could do would be to interview some of us, talk to some shark experts who may not kite, have no first hand knowledge of board/foil interactions and conjecture on what is going on. Some kiting grad students might structure a study about foil/mast interactions if they could line up some Doc's to get onboard. Not sure where funding would come from but the grad students might be interested.

I like to shoot sharks when I kite too. Unfortunately, I am not winging or hydrofoiling with a kite that much particularly now during our off wind season. I also like to dive with and shoot sharks when I can. The UW shots are from about a week ago off Jupiter.
droffats wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:37 pm
So, Rick I, you have the most clout on safety I know of, any way to contact Discovery Channel for next year's Shark Week where they can do a show on foils and sharks? They do the research over the fall/winter and prep the show for next year's SHARK! week. Then again, do we really want to know if sharks are attracted to foils? I've seen some of that from the kite or lines footage where sharks dart over towards foils then dark away in a curious sort of way, but bulls and tigers are more, "bit first, decide if I like it later" kinda fish.
Attachments
shark 3.jpg
shark 0.jpg
shark 1.jpg

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:43 pm

I live in Stuart Florida and kite all the time. There are TONS of sharks here. I have many gopro shots just like Rick's with sharks nearby while kiting. People shark fish here and catch lots of lemons, spinners, blacktips, bulls, hammerheads, and tigers right from the beach.

Several times I have jumped and had to change my landing zone because there was a big shark right in it!

I do not think they are attracted to foils, I foil regularly (kite and surf-foil) and ride over them and they just scatter scared.

Clear water is a definite benefit to preventing an attack but I always have a tourniquet in my boardshorts in case I fall on a bull or tiger!
These users thanked the author RadDrDuke for the post:
RickI (Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:07 pm

RadDrDukethe bottom shot is from Bathtub which you probably recognize. It is about a mile south from where poor Steve was hit. Stuart and points north certainly are sharky. Thanks for your impressions about foil-shark interactions.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Has thanked: 0

Postby sflinux » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:17 pm

Cyrus,
Thanks for sharing your story. I am so glad you were able to make it back to shore safely.
After reading your story, I ordered a R.A.T.S. Tourniquet to bring with me into the water:
Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t10R1qPRftU
Instructional:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upEgTfrtYGg
You obviously did the right thing by getting to shore as quickly as possible. I have heard that some Bull Sharks will follow the blood trail and continue biting all the way to shore.

Return to “Kitesurfing”