Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Firewire Hydroshort kite version

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:30 am

I tried the Hydroshort as a Quad, still didn't really like it. Turns lost snap/pivot, somewhat as expected, did gain upwind and a bit of grip, but not enough to offset the whip around. Still somewhat struggling on the high end with it. It get's kinda nervous when I'm powered up. Any thoughts?

wara-wara
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Zandvoort (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk Aan Zee (NL)
Le Morne (MRU)
Style: Strapples only and some foiling
Gear: Slingshot SST 6, 8, 10m
Airush Ultra V2 12m
Firewire Vader 5.1"
Mitu ESL 5.8"
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby wara-wara » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:04 pm

I have tried quad setup a few times now. The only way I will use quad setup, is on vacation when I don't have my Vader with me and I need to go out in low wind and/or small waves. You definitely lose some snap in the turns as a quad, but the gain in upwind is noticable and usually just what you need to make a low end session fun.

Thruster setup is where the magic happens for me with this board! Great speed, smooooooth turns, snappy AF!

@adamj2281: Had the same problem on the high end. The board really tends to go super fast without any effort... but when I focus on a heavier back foot in those conditions I get more control over the board. That's something I needed to get used to. The board needs more weight at the back compared to my old (Mitu ESL) board.

I have tried some different fins, but the ones I really like with this board are my Medium Jordy Fins. Curious which fins others are using.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:15 pm

wara-wara wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:04 pm
I have tried quad setup a few times now. The only way I will use quad setup, is on vacation when I don't have my Vader with me and I need to go out in low wind and/or small waves. You definitely lose some snap in the turns as a quad, but the gain in upwind is noticable and usually just what you need to make a low end session fun.

Thruster setup is where the magic happens for me with this board! Great speed, smooooooth turns, snappy AF!

@adamj2281: Had the same problem on the high end. The board really tends to go super fast without any effort... but when I focus on a heavier back foot in those conditions I get more control over the board. That's something I needed to get used to. The board needs more weight at the back compared to my old (Mitu ESL) board.

I have tried some different fins, but the ones I really like with this board are my Medium Jordy Fins. Curious which fins others are using.
Yeah, so interestingly enough, the last time I was out, I was like......I'm just going to really weight my back foot hard when I go for a slash and see what happens, and it was almost an instant change in grip. I think I was just used a bit more nose/length and feeling a bit more grounded. I'm interested on the fin setup for people as well, here's what I've done:

Quobba Medium (Thruster)
JJ-2 Medium (Thruster)
JJ-2 outside, I forget what I used but (Quad) - did not like.

The Quobba on the middle felt squirrely, but that might have just been the same issue with me not used to weighting the back foot. I'm going to try Quobbas on the side and JJ-2 middle thruster next.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:43 pm

omg wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:48 pm
once again, you don't need volume that much in kiting. When in speed (kiting), it's only negative. Better water feel and more flex with thinner boards.
Uh, 2inch is thick? Quite normal for a surfboard used in WAVES lol. Super thin surf boards usually work great STRAPPED in incredibly glassy/perfect conditions. Gets a tiny bit choppy, then its hell to ride. 90% of surfkite riders ride in variable wave/wind conditions.
I hate most kite makers <strapped> surfboards (sling, cabrinha...); they are stiff, heavy, too thin, and dont float well in foam. They are great for flying tricks in flat water though...

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:49 am

All my Tomis except my Vanguard were Shapper for me at XTR. They beef up the parallel carbon and put front and back foot reinforcements. And it’s still really light. They will also tweak the dims for you unlike firewire. I jump the hell out of mine and still don’t have any heel dents in them
0589AE46-2B0E-46D1-8F77-0DCAFD30766B.jpeg
DCDF3B16-3EEA-4175-B387-F0E31EC06E50.jpeg
8FFA0341-0F35-4DCE-AC26-996936765E23.jpeg

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:51 am

I also normally ride large fins due to my weight but with the hull shape they seem a lot livelier with medium fins. I’m 235lbs

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:54 am

My Vanguard,cimatic and hydroshort i ride thruster
Evo in quad

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:56 am

If you drop my name at XTR they’ll give you $50 off your order. Clint Sterba
They’ll also ship !

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:41 pm

mr_daruman wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:43 pm
omg wrote:
once again, you don't need volume that much in kiting. When in speed (kiting), it's only negative. Better water feel and more flex with thinner boards.
Uh, 2inch is thick? Quite normal for a surfboard used in WAVES lol. Super thin surf boards usually work great STRAPPED in incredibly glassy/perfect conditions. Gets a tiny bit choppy, then its hell to ride. 90% of surfkite riders ride in variable wave/wind conditions.
I hate most kite makers <strapped> surfboards (sling, cabrinha...); they are stiff, heavy, too thin, and dont float well in foam. They are great for flying tricks in flat water though...
Why do you need such a volume? You can have a recessed deck with thicker/"normal" rails like all the other surfboards have. I mean if you ride over foam, would a 22liter be much better compared to 14liter board otherwise similar outline, rocker and same thickness rails etc.?
I only ride strapless, but when you diss the idea of lower volume boards, have you ever tried one with the parameters I outlined? One thing is for sure, the thinner board can flex better with better durability, and flex also helps in very choppy conditions, right?

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:22 pm

omg wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:41 pm
mr_daruman wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:43 pm
omg wrote:
Why do you need such a volume? You can have a recessed deck with thicker/"normal" rails like all the other surfboards have. I mean if you ride over foam, would a 22liter be much better compared to 14liter board otherwise similar outline, rocker and same thickness rails etc.?
I only ride strapless, but when you diss the idea of lower volume boards, have you ever tried one with the parameters I outlined? One thing is for sure, the thinner board can flex better with better durability, and flex also helps in very choppy conditions, right?
I don t like volumen either but i don t think you can go a lot thinner than 2 inches thick because they will become too fragile for kitesurfing. Specialy in PU construction and maybe ok in Epoxy.
Or unless you go thinner than 2 inches foam but with one more extra layer of glass?

Return to “Kitesurfing”