Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses release new 607 and 740 wing, where's the wings for prone and winging?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: queenscliff
Gear: Ozone foil kites
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils
Wings: F-one Stike, Ensis
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses release new 607 and 740 wing, where's the wings for prone and winging?

Postby addictedtofoil » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:48 am

My board is ok, 5'4 111L carbon ONE https://www.oneoceansports.com/new-page

The thing that needs to change for me is the foil size, a scaled up 799 or 945 around 1500-1600cm2, no downturned wingtips, not too wide and aspect ratio 7-8 :)

This will mean I don't have to change any other gear and is what I'm looking for, for my weight and conditions. Hopefully Sabfoil will do this in 2021.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Moses release new 607 and 740 wing, where's the wings for prone and winging?

Postby gmb13 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:11 am

addictedtofoil wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:48 am

The thing that needs to change for me is the foil size, a scaled up 799 or 945 around 1500-1600cm2, no downturned wingtips, not too wide and aspect ratio 7-8 :)

This will mean I don't have to change any other gear and is what I'm looking for, for my weight and conditions. Hopefully Sabfoil will do this in 2021.
If you cut off or fill in that kicktail your wil gain a few knots less takeoff speed.

Also those tracks in the pictures of the boards are not far enough forward to work with the new HS700 fuselage.

--
Gunnar

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:50 pm

I think... The surface area of the hidrofoils (the main wing and even the stabilizer) Is important for kiting to start in light winds or to use smaller kites (mostly) (and mostly only if you have a small board); because it serves as resistance to the water to get on top of the board (before the foil has enough flow to generate lift. Once foiling, it can also help when going slow enough that the laminar flow of the water in the top of the foil is interrupted. It also helps because some of the weight of the rider is always absorbed by the surface area (just as a surface that resists the water) and the "wing" pressure difference of the foil is a bit less and helps to go slower (for a given wing section, wing span and weight of the rider) before stall. There is always some % of the riders weight that is "supported" by surface area (but it also creates more drag (and that can be a factor for going upwind or staying on foil in very light wind).

Having said alllll this... I think that Gunnar is right by saying that the surface area can be a negligible influence for winging and windsurfing with a hydrofoil (since most of the weight of the rider is sustained by the board before you go on foil)

sorry, I just had to say it...

It is always part of the equation... (eventhough not always good, or the best thing to have)
Last edited by geron on Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:31 pm

You could add the fact that you get easier on the foil on a smaller board.
And heavier riders use bigger boards.
I am +110kg and use the 1100 with 108L board. Tried a 75L board lately and it was WAY easier to get on the foil.
I felt I could use a much smaller wing that day (25knots 5m windwing)
I will get the 945 to complement the 1100
Also playing with the stab makes a lot of difference

Owned a 1050/890 quiver and sold it

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:35 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:11 am
addictedtofoil wrote:

If you cut off or fill in that kicktail your wil gain a few knots less takeoff speed.

Also those tracks in the pictures of the boards are not far enough forward to work with the new HS700 fuselage.

--
Gunnar
I can see the logic of filling in a kicktail to gain more running length and improve speed prior to takeoff. But you also mention an improvement of speed by cutting off the kicktail and thereby shortening the running length of the board. If Im interpreting this correctly, it would imply that the kicktail itself (independent of length) is actually slowing things down. Is this accurate and what is the theory here?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:43 pm

StellaBlu wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:35 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:11 am
addictedtofoil wrote:

--
Gunnar
I can see the logic of filling in a kicktail to gain more running length and improve speed prior to takeoff. But you also mention an improvement of speed by cutting off the kicktail and thereby shortening the running length of the board. If Im interpreting this correctly, it would imply that the kicktail itself (independent of length) is actually slowing things down. Is this accurate and what is the theory here?
Yes. The kicktail, especially one without a step just creates drag that actually increases as you start to pump the foil out of the water. Basically the brands just copied what they saw from the fist supfoil boards without knowing what they where for. They actually thought it was for helping the board to get up on the foil :lol:

--
Gunnar

addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils

Postby addictedtofoil » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:37 pm

Boards are another issue for big riders as the market is aimed at 80kg riders. There is very Limited options in Australia for boards (and way overpriced) with big volume that aren't too long (> 6t is rubbish unless you want to mow the lawn) or wide for light-medium wind. Start exporting Indiana boards to Australia, oh wait they are over 6ft for my volume needs, na don't worry.

The search for the perfect light-medium wind board continues...

As soon as it's over 18knots I'm on the 56L which is very easy to get on foil given the wind is not too gusty.

With this said, a bigger foil than the 945 will help my cause tremendously in light-medium wind!

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:58 am

addictedtofoil wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:37 pm
Boards are another issue for big riders as the market is aimed at 80kg riders. There is very Limited options in Australia for boards (and way overpriced) with big volume that aren't too long (> 6t is rubbish unless you want to mow the lawn) or wide for light-medium wind. Start exporting Indiana boards to Australia, oh wait they are over 6ft for my volume needs, na don't worry.

Excuse me? The biggest Indiana Wingboard is the 150L and it's 6ft. The rest are under 6ft. Stop spreading wrong info

--
Gunnar

addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils

Postby addictedtofoil » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:38 am

maybe the website is out of date?

https://shop.indiana-paddlesurf.com/foi ... oards.html

Sorry I looked at wrong link, this is wing boards

Export some to Australia, would be good to try them!

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:15 am

addictedtofoil wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:38 am
maybe the website is out of date?

Sorry I looked at wrong link, this is wing boards

Export some to Australia, would be good to try them!
They are still looking for the right importer, but hopefully soon.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Hydrofoil”