Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Started reaching 6m Jumps. Unsure how to maneuver kite

Postby SolarSet » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:13 pm

Dimitrios wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:38 am
I mean, from what i understand there are many factors that affect how the loop will pull you. Seems that 4-6m are not enough for a proper Heli-loop apparently..

Sheeting out a bit helps the kite creep up in the window faster. Then you can sheet in again for a tight loop or leave it there for a wider one.
That makes sense I will try to sheet out to let kite go back and then turn it to loop and see results.
I always thought that pulling loop with bar sheet out will make it pull more in loop because steering lines are more slack and turning radius of kite will be larger but it doesn't look at simple as I originally anticipated.
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post:
Dimitrios (Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:23 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:18 am
I have similar experience while landing 4-6m transition jump with heliloop. It pulls me more than I expected forward. Does it mean that kite is not overflying me?
if so how to make transition jump to pull me less forward? I'm looping kite with bar sheet in meaning it will loop more in power zone? Sheeting bar out and looping kite would help to make loop of kite with less power?
If you are really pulling a heli loop, you want to make it a fairly wide loop. A narrow heli loop won't give you the lift you want for long enough so one of two things will happen. Either you'll loop it too high and end up with a heavy landing or you'll loop it too late and end up with a really fast downwind momentum.

What I call a landing loop is simply a kiteloop or downloop that is pulled as you come into land. It will still generate lift (though nowhere near as much as a heli loop) and give you a softer landing but the timing of the loop is a lot more forgiving than a full power kiteloop because the kite starts much closer to the edge of the wind window. The main difference is a landing loop will loop high but in front of you rather than directly above like a heli loop. Its all a bit semantics really but in the same way that a powered kiteloop isn't necessarily a megaloop, a kiteloop on the way down from a jump isn't necessarily a heli loop.

As an aside - If you want to start practicing heli loops without going really high you'll probably need to do a 'Sent Jump'. Essentially this is a jump where you move the kite fast across the window (from 11 to 1 say) at the top of the jump. It will give you a similar sensation to a kite loop (yank forwards and a swing under the kite) without the sphincter clenching worry about whether the kite will come up to catch you. I reckon you can probably start practicing heli loops from a sent jump at around 5-6m in height if you have a kite with a bit float.

If you are wondering why you want to learn to loop the kite in the first place - kiteloops are seen as safety loops by snow kiters as you can use them to lose height safely if you get caught in an updraft. So there you have it. Its a safety thing! 8)
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Dimitrios (Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dimitrios
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Athens
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Airush union +tt

Postby Dimitrios » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:21 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:23 pm

What I call a landing loop is simply a kiteloop or downloop that is pulled as you come into land. It will still generate lift (though nowhere near as much as a heli loop) and give you a softer landing but the timing of the loop is a lot more forgiving than a full power kiteloop because the kite starts much closer to the edge of the wind window. The main difference is a landing loop will loop high but in front of you rather than directly above like a heli loop. Its all a bit semantics really but in the same way that a powered kiteloop isn't necessarily a megaloop, a kiteloop on the way down from a jump isn't necessarily a heli loop.
Yeah, i have been doing landing loops on my way down by pulling the front hand, then landing on the opposite foot and complete the transition jump. Sometimes i land on the same foot, keep pulling the loop untill full 360 is done and keep riding on the same direction. Really fun and it builds my confidence and feeling of looping the kite.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:14 pm

Dimitrios wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:21 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:23 pm

Yeah, i have been doing landing loops on my way down by pulling the front hand, then landing on the opposite foot and complete the transition jump. Sometimes i land on the same foot, keep pulling the loop untill full 360 is done and keep riding on the same direction. Really fun and it builds my confidence and feeling of looping the kite.
The only thing I might suggest is to mix it up a bit. Loops are fun but they can cover up for poor kite position in the air. If you are looking to work on bigger airstyle tricks you'll need to get the kite positioning right (for example leave it too far back and you'll start unwanted rotations in a one footer). Worth learning though as you can save accidental piloting issues (small fast kite problems :o ) with sneaky loop

Dimitrios
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Athens
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Airush union +tt

Postby Dimitrios » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:19 am

Found a video of a little jump my girlfriend recorded in May. Quality is crap but maybe you can tell from the kite movements, is that what you guys call Landing loop ?
(this is more like 2 m jump i know, but kite movement is similar to what i do)

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:29 am

Here you have everything

The first jump is what often is called Downloop / Landing loop / late Heliloop

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same