Delta99
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stockholm
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Advice for Sal, Cabo Verde?

Postby Delta99 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:52 pm

Yes, Google is a good friend but he still does not get the pieces together. So, I'm looking for advice on "administrating" the kiteing on Sal, Cabo Verde, in November. Not the kiteing so much, but the administration. How do I organise the have the least hassle? Do I have to register and store at the only two centers on Kite beach? What about shuttles from Santa Maria? Storage at hotell for flexibility or at centers? (I suppose they don't want me to haul the golfbag everyday.) Eating at Kite beach? If I store at a center down at the beach in Santa Maria, will I still just get shuttled to Kite beach anyway but not given access to the amenities at the two centers? Thanks!!! :D

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Re: Advice for Sal, Cabo Verde?

Postby rw30 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:02 pm

but you know November is not high season for wind there?
For details, just check windguru forecastas archive, when I went there (Feb 2021), the actual conditions almost perfectly reflected forecasts (GFS 13 model @ windguru).

And yes, I have answers for most / all your questions, but have no time to type them now. Will answer during the weekend.
These users thanked the author rw30 for the post:
Delta99 (Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 pm

A taxi pickup from santa maria to kite-beach is 5euro.
I never store anything, most centers close at 17, so you will not be able to kite after that.
What hotel doesnt allow kite-gear do you mean? I never had any problem with that.

Lunch at kite-beach is ok, but might take a while.

But, many places are still closed due to covid. The locals have a hard time for the moment. So don't count on anything.
I'm might go down there in the end of october, can give you more info then.
These users thanked the author surfbird for the post:
Delta99 (Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:31 pm)

Delta99
Medium Poster

Postby Delta99 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Thanks, I did check the stats and it looks good enough. And this is the time we can go. Wind will be enough. Perhaps just bring 10-12-14. Rent an 8 if I need it. Practice on a floaty strapless if little wind.
These users thanked the author Delta99 for the post:
rw30 (Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:46 am)

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 pm

Windmeter and webcam kite beach:
http://www.caboverde-wind.com/

You will be fine with the wind, don't worry.
These users thanked the author surfbird for the post:
Delta99 (Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:31 pm)

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:08 pm

The best way for me was rent a car and keep gear in the car in hotel car Park on Fuerteventura. So only needed to bring my shorts into my room to dry. Not sure if storing Kit in the car is safe in Cape V?
These users thanked the author sergei Scotland for the post:
Delta99 (Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:43 pm)

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:22 pm

What about shuttles from Santa Maria?

no such thing during covid. As someone mentioned, taxi one way costs 5€, but once you get there and you get to know the people, you can easily join & share taxi, if it's 5€ by 2 or 3 or 4, then it's peanuts.
Happy to share with you FB msngr of one taxi driver who's always ready to drive you, PM me if you need it.

Storage at hotell for flexibility or at centers? (I suppose they don't want me to haul the golfbag everyday.)
the storage (& in general the base in Mitu & Djo school) is ok, but I wasn't using it. Especially if you want to go to Ponta Preta sometimes (you must be well skilled at waveRiding though, it's no joke there), or any other spot (although frankly there isn't much kiting outside of Mitu & Djo during CoVid) then it's gonna be hassle for you to go first to Mitu, take gear..... I wouldn't bother, but I know ppl who preferred to use it. Up to u.

Eating at Kite beach?
food is ok there, not very expensive, but I was rather eating at Santa Maria, plenty of restos there. Cam's & Cafe Creol being most ppl favorites for breakfast / lunch / beers .

If I store at a center down at the beach in Santa Maria, will I still just get shuttled to Kite beach anyway but not given access to the amenities at the two centers? Thanks!!! :D

no, all the people have access to center (not centers - 2nd centre, 100 feet closed in Feb and I wouldn't expect it to open till CoVid is on), I mean restaurant, seating area etc. regardless whether they store gear or not

feel free to ask any other questions you have
These users thanked the author rw30 for the post:
Delta99 (Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:35 pm)

Delta99
Medium Poster

Postby Delta99 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:38 pm

rw30 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:22 pm

What about shuttles from Santa Maria?

no such thing during covid. As someone mentioned, taxi one way costs 5€, but once you get there and you get to know the people, you can easily join & share taxi, if it's 5€ by 2 or 3 or 4, then it's peanuts.
Happy to share with you FB msngr of one taxi driver who's always ready to drive you, PM me if you need it.

Storage at hotell for flexibility or at centers? (I suppose they don't want me to haul the golfbag everyday.)
the storage (& in general the base in Mitu & Djo school) is ok, but I wasn't using it. Especially if you want to go to Ponta Preta sometimes (you must be well skilled at waveRiding though, it's no joke there), or any other spot (although frankly there isn't much kiting outside of Mitu & Djo during CoVid) then it's gonna be hassle for you to go first to Mitu, take gear..... I wouldn't bother, but I know ppl who preferred to use it. Up to u.

Eating at Kite beach?
food is ok there, not very expensive, but I was rather eating at Santa Maria, plenty of restos there. Cam's & Cafe Creol being most ppl favorites for breakfast / lunch / beers .

If I store at a center down at the beach in Santa Maria, will I still just get shuttled to Kite beach anyway but not given access to the amenities at the two centers? Thanks!!! :D

no, all the people have access to center (not centers - 2nd centre, 100 feet closed in Feb and I wouldn't expect it to open till CoVid is on), I mean restaurant, seating area etc. regardless whether they store gear or not

feel free to ask any other questions you have
Thanks for your up to date insights. Great, much appreciated. :thumb: :D

KVL
Medium Poster

Re: Advice for Sal, Cabo Verde? With foil...

Postby KVL » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:03 pm

Hi, I also go to Sal in mid November knowing it is is not in the main wind season. Maybe it nukes, maybe it is just a chilled week at the beach in Santa Maria.

Also the times I have been there it has been great anyhow.

I consider to bring my Moses 633 / Onda. I mostly fear the clashes with all the wonderful turtles who keeps popping up the water. It will be hard for both little mr turtle and foil.. Any one been foiling at Kite Beach? An actual issue or just a stupid concern?

balticswell
Medium Poster

Postby balticswell » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:50 am

I've been kitefoiling and wingfoiling on Sal several times, never had any issue with hitting turtles. Things might be different if you use race foiling gear with very high speeds, but freeride/surfing foils seem to be to slow for turtles :)
These users thanked the author balticswell for the post:
KVL (Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:19 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”